+ Reply to Thread

Thread: JrRed's R/T Clone

Default JrRed's R/T Clone

Finally bought my first Dakota R/T, even though this is my Donor truck to get my Dakota up and running it is my first Dakota R/T. The truck is in BAD shape, the guy hit a brick mailbox and destroyed the fire wall (ripped the Vin Clean off), windshield, passenger door, fender, hood, and stampede kit. So I have a 2000 4.7 NV3500 Dakota Sport sitting in the garage that had no motor and transmission.

Let starts out by saying EVERYTHING is different, even down to the horns of the truck. So EVERYTHING on my red truck will be out of that R/T.
    Here is how I found the Dakota sitting on craigslist. ( Yes those are 20" Replicas that take factory center caps )

Picked her up on the way home from my TDY Trip. He put the spindles and wheels back on for transportation.
    Her sitting in my driveway.

So first off cleaned up the engine bays and ripped out he complete 4.7 Engine harness, body harness and PCM.
    Before the Tear down.

Decided to go ahead and delete the A/C out of the truck, a bracket is on order and should receive it this week.

Prepped the R/T for engine and trans removal (removed fluids, radiator, support)

Layed in the Dakota R/T body harness and PCM. And Removed the hood for easier installation on my truck.

Engine and transmission is installed Nothing is really tightened down just yet. Im going to be taking some stuff off the engine and replacing them with new clean parts, and cleaning up the plastics and harness in the engine bay.

So from there we decided to go ahead and look at the interior to see what I actually needed to change in interior to make this all work. After doing some research buying some alldata subscriptions for both trucks, the wiring is different and how it plugs into the fuse panel is all different. So I went to see if I could install the new fuse panel into the truck and there is no way to install the fuse panel and it be correct. So that was the deciding factor to change out the interior in the truck from the pre 01 dash to the 01-03 dash. ( I prefer the pre 01 dash myself. )

Goodbye beautiful dash.

As we take out the dash we know to do it right we have to change the heater box, so I went ahead and replaced the heater core in the box, and installed the heater box, replaced the duct work so that it will properly line up with the new heater box, and then went ahead and mocked up the new dash frame. At first I did a search to see if anyone had completely done the swap and couldn't find anyone that has done this all way just a guy that started it and never finished it. The 01 up dash's have a mount on the side where they mount up I'm guessing where they tried to make the dash more supported if there was a crash that the pre 01 dash's don't have. With that bracket it doesn't fit it sticks to far out because the 01 up trucks have a cutout for it to slide into, you have to cut that off in order for the dash to completely line up where it should (top and bottom bolts). Next we put the plastic frame on where everything will end up snapping into place.

Next was the steering wheel column, in order for it to completely hook up like in the R/T it needed to be installed in my truck. Found out there is a bolt and nut underneath of the dash that you can pull your column off, same with the 01 up trucks, so I pulled them out and swapped them.
    Went to hook up the new steering wheel column to find out that nothing on there lines up either, so the bracket that holds your brake booster and connects to your dash is also different, so last we went ahead and replaced that. and finally got the Steering wheel hooked up and up into place.

(Will be cleaning all this before proceeding)

Got a lot more work to do in order for this to be correct, wouldn't be able to get any of this done without the help of my Brother.

Update: 1/8/2016

Here is a couple progress pictures with the dash.

Update 2/3/16

So I have gotten a little bit more work done, between weather and being gone Its been a slow go. But Pulled the door latches out of both the R/T and my sport and seen which direction the plastic holders had to go in order for the doors to operate. One can be just turned around the other one that needed changed came from the R/T.

You also have to take the bracket off of the donor truck and move the plastic standoff that holds the panel to the door down and snap it in place. These door panels will not be staying in the truck because i have manual window and lock setup and plan on keeping that way, this was just for fitment purposes.

I also completed the rest of the wiring needed for the swap.

2/22/16

Last edited by JrRed23; 02-22-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Updates

Status

Nice work!
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

holy cow. awesome work
    - Josh

2000 Solar Yellow R/T - Cam Only Truck
    1987 Buick Regal T-Type - WE4 and Blackout
    2008 GMC 1500 Quad Cab
    1989 Jeep YJ - Real Jeeps have Square Headlights
    1971 Buick Skylark - LS SWAP THE WORLD

Thanks Guys

I like free kittens

Status

You're keeping that 5 speed, right? the trans will bolt up to the 5.9 perfectly. just need to get a cheap 5.9 (GAS MOTOR) Ram 2500 flywheel.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert View Post
    You're keeping that 5 speed, right? the trans will bolt up to the 5.9 perfectly. just need to get a cheap 5.9 (GAS MOTOR) Ram 2500 flywheel.
    Eventually I will, still have the mount for the transmission, right now I'm staying focused on getting everything in and running great then look at my options.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Wow that's one hell of a conversion! I've never heard of anyone converting from the old interior to the superior +01 interior (oops did I just editorialize?) I'm curious to hear how this conversion ends up!

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Very cool

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

That's one hell of a work load you got going on. Keep that attention to detail you got going on and you'll be lighting up those tires in no time
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Lurker

Status

Better you then me... Nice job so far and welcome!!

Josh - 98 BLK RC - Mad Milkshake Maker
    Previous
    99 BLK RC - Mad Trash Hauler - sold
    99 DA RC - mad dak - Danno Stole it
    01 SLVR RC - mad sexy - retired - then died
    99 IB RC - mad RT - gone to heaven..

Former Certified member of the 11 Second NA RT Club

Didn't get a lot done but last night got some of the dash pieces put back in, and found out the internals for the airbag computer module internals can be swapped so I can use the same mount for the pre 01 floor mount to put back down properly. Everything is lining up like it should, so far so good.

Update Pictures See OP!

Status

All I can say is WOW! You've got more energy than I do(or most anyone else)! Welcome! Don't let the dream die!
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Have not made any progress in a couple weeks I have been out of town for work, ill be back this weekend to continue the swap.,., Stay tuned!

Updated interior work in OP.

Installed Water Pump, Idler, New hoses, A/C Delete Bracket, Thermostat, and Thermostat housing last night. Slowly But surely this is coming together.

Hooked up the battery and did power on checks on saturday. Everything seems to works. Did not start the truck just wanted to verify fuel pump, lights, switches. Got to go back to the junk yard for some more interior pieces that were damaged from the R/T.

Status

Keep her goin' bud!!
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

Will be finishing the build and selling it. Or if someone wants it before I finish the build will sell it cheaper. See For sale section for details.
    My Build Thread JrRed's Clone R/T Build
    http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...ed-s-R-T-Clone

Interior is done minus the Old shifter cover, the engine bay is all that's left.

Status

WHY what changed?
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    WHY what changed?
    Bought a 2000 solar yellow R/T

It will be finished, the whole clone R/T build, its literally throwing the engine compartment together and hooking up the driveshaft and away we go.

---Under Construction---

Status

Wow, a whole interior swap, gauges and all, is a big swap. Looks good man

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

Thanks, I'll get some good pictures this weekend of the interior swap.

+ Reply to Thread