+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The whole story and I need some guidance.

Status

Default The whole story and I need some guidance.

I mentioned in another thread that I ran my truck for the first time since I bought it a little over a year ago and these are the results, please keep in mind I'm not a 1/4 mile rookie.
    First pass was a waste of time as it just went up in tire smoke, all I have at the moment are street tires.
    Second pass it blew the air charge pipe off so no boost.
    Third pass I got the tires nice and hot and it spun less and pulled pretty good through 1st and 2nd before hitting the rev limiter due to not shifting into 3rd gear at wot all the while smoking like a freight train from being over rich.
    So all of that being said my problems are obvious in that I need a tune, tires, and a trans that will shift into 3rd at wot.
    Evidently my ancient combo is a little outdated with the small Vortech blower and auxillary injectors but I need to make the best of what I have.
    Where do I go from here as far as a tune? I have no cam specs as the p/o had this package put together by Kammer way back when.
    I would imagine a dyno tune is my best option but who in my area is capable of making my Mopar run like it should?
    On the street the truck has good manners and feels strong.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

You need to get a wideband datalogger first and foremost. The haltec (aux injector setup) is ancient, there is so many better options now. I wouldnt waste too much time and effort in trying to get the band aid setup to work, been there and done that multiple times over the years. A set of 42lb injectors, wide band data logger and SCT with tuning from Ryan Hogan will actually be a night and day difference from what you have now. Figure on 12-1300 bux to go that route though.

They make adjustable aux injector controllers but they are fairly pricey.

You also may want to try a map voltage clamp - if the map senses boost and generates a higher voltage it will run rich and possibly not shift at WOT correctly either.

I have a MAP clamp here if you want it, i will sell it to you cheap - its made by split second.

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

Thanks for the response Todd, What data logger would you suggest? This stuff is all new to me I'm like Dave, carbs I understand this stuff not so much but I bound and determined to learn.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

I use the OT-2 with iphone on my setup - some people like it some people dont but it has worked for me and is a cost effective solution. Another to look at would be AEM

Status

I hate relying on a Wide Band because so much can influence the readings...Any leaks prior to the sensor can make it read lean, and bad sensor can make it read "what the fuck", but reading plugs isn't something you can learn over night...I'm guessing 90% of those whom say they can...Can't.

With that said....I have a Daytona Sensors WB with my carb set up, and what it told me is I had a lean spike at WOT and that's all I've used it for. I haven't touched my carb and or timing in two years. Why? I don't know what the fuck I'm doing but it works so why fuck it up?
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Status

I understand the bracket racer mentality Dave, if it's consistent leave it alone.
    Looking at the OT 2 it's pretty slick.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I understand the bracket racer mentality Dave, if it's consistent leave it alone.
    Looking at the OT 2 it's pretty slick.
    But....I'm all about a new best, even if it is .001 at a time.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Status

I understand that mentality too!
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Accumulating parts...

Status

I have the LM-2 on the supercharged truck, and AEM Eugo on the Red N/A truck.
    I like the fact that I don't need a laptop hooked up to read A/F's using the Innovate products, but the Issues with Innovate and their shitty customer service sucks.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Status

Quote Originally Posted by GoFastGray View Post
    I have the LM-2 on the supercharged truck, and AEM Eugo on the Red N/A truck.
    I like the fact that I don't need a laptop hooked up to read A/F's using the Innovate products, but the Issues with Innovate and their shitty customer service sucks.
    Can you explain customer svc issues?
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

My youngest son thinks if I get a good data logger and a hand held tuner we don't need someone like ryan for the tune.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

My youngest son thinks if I get a good data logger and a hand held tuner we don't need someone like ryan for the tune.
    I've used the LM-2 for several years with no issues but they aren't super user friendly and I know some people have had issues with them. Don't know anything about the OT-2 but it looks pretty simple.

Who would you use to tune?
    408, HiPoTek, FRP Tuning, Martin Saine 46re
    12.33 @ 110
    2018 Renegade Raceway Summit Series Sportsman Champion

Status

do you have a tune at all? I thought your sig used to say mopar performance computer in with the other mods and it always confused me how that was possible or if it was a typo.....

I know someone else mentioned having issues with another companies service regarding their wide band, just for the record I had a bad experience with AEM on a wideband too so you might as well take your pick because apparently they all suck at service and warranting their products... I had to ague with multiple people over multiple phone calls and eventually had to argue with a manager over the fact I know how to connect one power and one ground and make a circuit, they felt I must have done it wrong..
    1995 Dakota Club Cab, 408, 5spd, 8 3/4 rear end

Your son would be dead wrong and you would be able to thank him for the cool new motor you would get to build. There is NO handheld made that has a tune for boosted applications. Period. There is no handheld made for THIS platform that is custom tunable other than SCT. PERIOD. Please don't talk to people who don't know about the magnum motor platform, talk to people who do, I would hate to see you trash a motor for no reason.

Status

I'll bite my tongue and simply state that you are misinformed. Best of luck in sorting out your truck .
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

With naturally aspirated I may agree, but with forced induction you'll need more than just "a hand held tuner" why not go with an AEM ECM like cregger did? that's what I plan on doing. get it tuned first NA, then start creeping up on it methodically, and always have a backup of your tune!

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    With naturally aspirated I may agree, but with forced induction you'll need more than just "a hand held tuner" why not go with an AEM ECM like cregger did? that's what I plan on doing. get it tuned first NA, then start creeping up on it methodically, and always have a backup of your tune!
    Doesn't negate the issue of needing several hundred bucks worth of injectors, wideband (LOL at tuning via plug reading) , and a 2 bar map....
    Cregger still needs JTEC to function, I helped him with converter settings.
    The only thing a standalone accomplishes on these is complicating the tuning process, giving yourself the task of wiring a new harness , and a whole new set of variables for shit to go wrong
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post
    I'll bite my tongue and simply state that you are misinformed. Best of luck in sorting out your truck .
    Don't bite your tonque Ryan, you are highly respected in the tuning business and I want to hear what you have to say. I'm totally ignorant about what I need to do and looking to the experts to guide me.
    When I quoted my son I was trying to stir up some controversy and it worked.
    I'm not rolling in cash and I want to make the right decision the first time.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OldKota View Post
    do you have a tune at all? I thought your sig used to say mopar performance computer in with the other mods and it always confused me how that was possible or if it was a typo.....

I know someone else mentioned having issues with another companies service regarding their wide band, just for the record I had a bad experience with AEM on a wideband too so you might as well take your pick because apparently they all suck at service and warranting their products... I had to ague with multiple people over multiple phone calls and eventually had to argue with a manager over the fact I know how to connect one power and one ground and make a circuit, they felt I must have done it wrong..
    according to the original owner it does have a performance pcm....tune
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

gen III traitor

Status

Either spend the money for a data logger, hand held AND a tuner or do nothing at all. 99.99% of people here have no idea how to tune with sct. It's not user friendly and has no instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    Either spend the money for a data logger, hand held AND a tuner or do nothing at all. 99.99% of people here have no idea how to tune with sct. It's not user friendly and has no instructions.
    I'll be the very first to admit that the SCT tuning software may as well have been written in a foreign language when I tried to use it myself. My results were less than stellar. It worked (with ME trying to tune it), but not as well as what I had to begin with - which was just 24# injectors and an FMU. But then, I will also admit that I'm also "old school". I tuned and ran the truck for 10 years - by reading the plugs. LOL

That said, I had no issues learning and tuning with MS3X.... with a wideband.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Status

I assume it would be a performance tune already on a stock computer... a mopar performance computer cant work well with boost, it advances the timing and is for NA engines... if it was a true mopar computer would also have a mopar performance sticker on it... if it just has a generic white computer sticker on it its a stock computer and I would assume it has a custom tune or wouldn't run on boost either

mopar computer/performance tuned computer=not the same... not that any of that helps you figure out your issues, just to clarify I guess.. wish I had something helpful to add
    1995 Dakota Club Cab, 408, 5spd, 8 3/4 rear end

Status

All I can do is go by the po told me. I just looked at the pcm and there are no numbers that are legible on the two white tags. He was the original owner and I don't believe very mechanically inclined.
    All of the mods on this truck were done in the early 2000's ike Todd stated the haltec injectors are out dated. I have a lot of the reciepts from parts and labor. But not everything.
    I just want to get everything I can with a good tune and not hurt anything.
    Todd mentioned 42 lb injectors. I have no intentions of trying to tune this thing myself.
    Just have to put together funds like everyone else.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Accumulating parts...

Status

All I can do is go by the po told me. I just looked at the pcm and there are no numbers that are legible on the two white tags. He was the original owner and I don't believe very mechanically inclined.
    All of the mods on this truck were done in the early 2000's ike Todd stated the haltec injectors are out dated. I have a lot of the reciepts from parts and labor. But not everything.
    I just want to get everything I can with a good tune and not hurt anything.
    Todd mentioned 42 lb injectors. I have no intentions of trying to tune this thing myself.
    Just have to put together funds like everyone else.
    Shopping list;
    -42# injectors (Unless you plan on going for more boost in future, than I recommend 60# injectors and a better fuel pump/check Hipotek's website) Or use 42's now and upgrade later.
    -2bar map sensor (I'm running an Accel)
    -Innovate OT-2, LM-2, AEM-Eugo wideband data logger (AEM comes with gauge, Innovate is separate)
    -SCT X3 + Tuning service
    -Gauge pod for Wide-band and maybe a couple others of your choosing to fill it

Get those items and we'll guide you through the rest
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Accumulating parts...

Status

Can you explain customer svc issues?
    They were helpful when I needed to hook up a digital wide band gauge to their LM-2's wire harness, but when it came to trouble shooting my LM-2 that wasn't giving me readings for 5-channels, they didn't seem to want to help or have the time. Asked me a couple questions, than said I'm not sure. I just wanted to reset it at that point and they couldn't walk me through anything. I figured most of it out myself, and when I tried calling again about a year later, I couldn't get a hold of them during a couple days worth of calling tech. I finally was able to sort it out thought. If you need help troupleshooting, emwhitert(think that's his user name), is very helpful with the LM-2.

There are others on this site, some tuners, and a LOT of people on Yellowbullet.com that don't care for the Innovate customer service. The AEM Eugo was pretty simple to set-up. Couple things you will still need to know/do, but we can walk you through
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast