+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: D2 Memphis bid for 2016

Status

Default D2 Memphis bid for 2016

D2 would like to put a bid in for the 2016 DRTC meet the weekend of Thursday 8/25 through Sunday 8/28

Itinerary:

Thurs 8/25/16:
    Drive in and check in at host hotel. George is currently working on group rates combined with banquet hall use at a hotel in the Wolfchase area.
    Thursday night test and tune at Memphis International Raceway. They do TNT every thurs night we can just run freely or get a dedicated lane.

Fri 8/26/26:
    Variety of activities available in Memphis, a popular tourist location. If we get serious about holding meet here we can vote for group activities and times. I will list some attractions in a follow up post for alternatives. It could look like:

Mid day: Hold a go-cart event at Autobahn Indoor Speedway. Indoor go cart facility with two tracks and speeds up to 50mph. Can get one of the tracks rented for our club and group package includes:
    •14 lap practice race
    •14 lap qualifying race
    •14 lap final race race
    •trophy for 1st place
    •medals for 2nd and 3rd place
    •winner's podium photo
    •score sheet / race details
    •45 minutes in our party room
    •Annual Speedway License for all racers ($6 value per person)
    •*8 person minimum

Afternoon: Hold a firearm event at Range USA. Public shooting facility with multiple ranges. Can setup a group event where we will have one of the ranges to ourselves. "Our packages can include meeting rooms, presentation equipment, food, party cakes, decorations, range time, targets, ammunition, firearm rentals, and even full-auto rentals." Like the quote from their website says, firearms are available for rent for all those who have to travel through gun grab states. There are 38 states with a carry license agreement with TN and for the others, so long as you're not a felon, you can transport your loaded weapon in your car to the facility since it's the south and your car is considered an extension of your home fuck yea murica. Can link the official TN rule page if we do want to go through with this.

Both these locations would be very close to our selected hotel and would not require travel to/through city.

Night: Memphis has an iconic night life. Beale street is a blast with endless live music venues nightly, streets closed to auto traffic, and open containers are acceptable in public. The locals who aren't in the mood for all the excitement of downtown go to the newly redeveloped Overton Square which has a wide variety of themed food and drink establishments and live entertainment as well.

Saturday 8/27: Race day in conjunction with Mega Mopar Action Series at Memphis International Raceway.
    This is the big Mopar event of the year for TN. There is heads up and bracket drag racing, show, auto cross, and swap meet. Have already spoken with the track vice president and have email confirmation of what they can offer.
    In summary:
    -She would be happy to give us our own class for the event. If we decide on them by the end of January, we will be promoted along with their event on the yearly calendar. Otherwise, we'll be put on the website as soon as we're officially going to go with them to give us free promotion.
    -If we go the trophy route, they will provide trophies for drag racing classes. $30 entry. I said we'd tech and organize who runs who in what classes and would run heads up in each class. She was interested in knowing how many trophies she'd need to order. Racers parking in show area no prob.
    -I said we wouldn't likely need any special accomodations for autox. They do, however, allow car show participants to do a $10 upgrade to run autox and be in the show.
    -Car show is $25. We can have our own designated area to keep the trucks together. They can set up a tent for us to welcome in our club trucks to make it easier to organize placement and promote the club.
    -She said she prefers everyone just pay the event for these items when they get there. That has been easiest in the past working with other clubs as opposed to we pay club and then they pay track.
    -She said just let them know what we want/need and they'd be happy to accomodate.

As far as a complete rain out, it is very unlikely as this is a drought time of year for the area. There are a long list of attractions in the area for alternatives should this happen.

Sunday 8/28: Lunch end of meet banquet at hotel or a BBQ joint depending on number of attendees. If we hold it at hotel we should really consider getting a few trays of BBQ for food. Memphis does it RIGHT. Drive home or get lost in Nashville then drive home. For southern folks, you should consider the Wellborn Musclecar Museum just south of Birmingham on your ride in or out. Largest collection of high performance dodges in world.

This meet would be an ideal location to draw in the most possible members. It is also a really great city to visit for the food and culture. Finally, the Mopar meet is being really cooperative and will allow all types to participate be it drag, show, or autox, as well as getting to see all the Mopars from this part of the country where there isn't sea or road salt to wear down the classics.

Thanks for considering from D2

Status

Reserved for hotel info per George
    Pushrod V-8 Addiction
    98 IB CC owned since 00

Status

Reserved for activity listings, family fun like the zoo and family fun center, and rain out options
    Pushrod V-8 Addiction
    98 IB CC owned since 00

This would be a sweet drive in my R/T, and sounds like there could be some awesome stuff going on. As long as I've got the money for it, I'd be down.

Plus, I just looked and I can legally carry in every state on the way down except Illinois, which if I really want to I can easily avoid and go through Missouri which is about 6 minutes more drive time but less miles according to Google Maps.

Steve - 1999 Flame Red RC R/T-56
    Comp Cams | F&B | Mopar | Spintech | SCT | Hotchkis

monypit

Status
    Pro Classifieds

subscribed
    Brian Akers AKA "Lunchbox"
    2001 CC R/T 408

http://youtu.be/ptIJR7scdBM

Status

I could definitely make this one. Memphis is only about 8 hours away.
    2004 SRT4 Moar Pah Coming DD
    2002 Dakota R/T 12.376@110.84

"Is there any way to make this easier? I'm way confused now. I just tried to post a video, but instead I got my dick caught in the ceiling fan" Wyotech_Cuda440

Subscribed.
    Have to work on a way to get mine there. Will figure something out

"Bleach Master"

Status

Big thanks to Pagnesium for taking the reigns on this bid, awesome job bud, and I hope to make this in my R/T
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Nice job. I'm in.

Marsh Madness

Status

I think this is close enough to make the trip. Subscribed.
    ~James Marsh
    Marsh Madness Specialties

Speed Cost Money.
    How Fast Do You Want To Go???
    ~Graham Hill

...408 in the works...(waiting on me)

OG DRTC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JMSoc02 View Post
    I think this is close enough to make the trip. Subscribed.
    Its an easy drive. One day. We could caravan.

Uncle Tommy

Status

also subscribed.

Status

Subscribed

Muscle Of Love

Status

Cool deal for all the leg work you guys did. Thank you

Just a heads up be vigilant if you take your trucks near downtown. It's how shall we say it???? Ummm colorful and crime rates go up after dark, plus watch out for the bums that are everywhere down town.

make it bigger STROKE IT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Cool deal for all the leg work you guys did. Thank you

Just a heads up be vigilant if you take your trucks near downtown. It's how shall we say it???? Ummm colorful and crime rates go up after dark, plus watch out for the bums that are everywhere down town.
    Agreed that's why I'm getting rates for hotels on the outskirts where it's a bit nicer

Forged 408 12.10 @ 111mph under the knife again

make it bigger STROKE IT

Status

Around how many rooms are normally reserved for the meet?

Forged 408 12.10 @ 111mph under the knife again

Muscle Of Love

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slvr03dakrt View Post
    Agreed that's why I'm getting rates for hotels on the outskirts where it's a bit nicer
    Good deal sir.

Props to you guys on this one I'm definitely subscribed.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert
    Nope. No engineers here. We're all just a buncha dum red neck monkeys scratching our asses and flinging poo at each other, wondering why our magnums are slow, expensive, and can't get good MPGs

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    Big thanks to Pagnesium for taking the reigns on this bid, awesome job bud, and I hope to make this in my R/T
    Least I could do for everyone for all the help I've received. At 700+ hours OT a year and a newly purchased fixer upper house I don't really have time to be doing anything for the club other than absorb all the free advice like i've been doing. At this point, though, there's not enough people left to get the shit done anymore. I'll glady pitch in if it helps keep this club alive. Been considering parting out the fox body and getting another R/T for track use but if the club dies it won't really be worth it.
    Pushrod V-8 Addiction
    98 IB CC owned since 00

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slvr03dakrt View Post
    Around how many rooms are normally reserved for the meet?
    If no one chimes in, just ballpark 25 for now I would say
    Pushrod V-8 Addiction
    98 IB CC owned since 00

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Nice work!

Marsh Madness

Status

Quote Originally Posted by pagnesium View Post
    If no one chimes in, just ballpark 25 for now I would say
    That probably a good guess. We did said 30-50. So they gave us 20 to start and said we could get more if they sold out bc they didn't want to block out a large number of rooms till they knew we needed them. But I think we had about 32 all said and done. I recently moved so all my stuff from putting on the NC meet 2 years ago is buried. But if you have questions on what needs to be done or what we did. Feel free to give me a text or a ring. 419-271-5908 ~James
    ~James Marsh
    Marsh Madness Specialties

Speed Cost Money.
    How Fast Do You Want To Go???
    ~Graham Hill

...408 in the works...(waiting on me)

Status

Quote Originally Posted by pagnesium View Post
    Least I could do for everyone for all the help I've received. At 700+ hours OT a year and a newly purchased fixer upper house I don't really have time to be doing anything for the club other than absorb all the free advice like i've been doing. At this point, though, there's not enough people left to get the shit done anymore. I'll glady pitch in if it helps keep this club alive. Been considering parting out the fox body and getting another R/T for track use but if the club dies it won't really be worth it.
    Dont part out a fox they are starting to become more rare on the road these days. Ive had my 86 gt since before i had my license. I sold it once to a friend when i had my 02 cc then realized what i did. I bought it back a year later and wouldnt consider selling it again. Its had couple motors and even more transmissions than that but ill never let it go, its family. If they dont bury me first ill be buried with my hot rods

Status

It's been a month and Christmas is past, anything new on this. I can go down early and help setup or do last minute coordination if it would help. LMK. Hope George will stay involved until after the meet, he has the Memphis knowledge we need.

Status

At his point it would appear we're not having an official club national meet. This will end up being more of just a large scale (hopefully) regular meet of owners. Everything will be pay your own way so it won't take a particularly large amount of planning. Racing and lodging is all set so at this point just waiting for executive and board stuff to get lined out and probably can start discussing this more.
    Pushrod V-8 Addiction
    98 IB CC owned since 00

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast