+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2016 Trifecta Meet Potential

Default 2016 Trifecta Meet Potential

It looks like 3 areas have ideas for a meet proposal. I personally dont see any reason why 3 meets cant work.

Rules are simple.

1.) The folks planning the meets must be the folks running the meet, the exec board participation is lack luster at best these days and counting on a complete meet setup and running it from the board is unrealistic. So plan on being everything including boots on the ground if you want to have a meet in your backyard. The club will be able to help with supplies and such, contact josh klein for whatever you need in that department.

2.) The meet must have a detailed cost break down and be a breakeven or net gain for the club. I believe the club can help with some of the up front costs though so make sure you get accurate numbers. Contact kevin peacock with monetary needs and he can give you an idea of what the club can or cant do.

3.) Prizes are your own deal if you want them, again getting the board members to make the calls is a long shot. People might give 2 shits about prizes though so maybe put some feelers out there to see if it is something worth spending the time on.

Good luck!

Todd

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

I like free kittens

Status

I think we've placed too much emphasis on prize giveaways, trophies, and 'free shit'.

Look at last year. Lots of guys were saying 'I'm not going for the giveaways, I'm going for the comraderie' and 'where are the prizes at?!' In the same breath.

I'd personally like to see a grass roots, multi-mini-meet effort across all divisions. Minimal entry fee and you get a t-shirt. No prizes, no trophies, just Dakota owners getting together doing something fun with their trucks.

With the low participation around here right now, it may be the way to boost participation
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

DAKRT56

Status

I agree with Tom, pretty much 100%. I'm hoping to make one of the meets in 2016 (if there are more than one), and I'd be going just to do Dakota stuff with Dakota people, not necessarily for free stuff.

Steve - 1999 Flame Red RC R/T-56
    Comp Cams | F&B | Mopar | Spintech | SCT | Hotchkis

"Bleach Master"

Status

I think the whole "meet" thing needs to be changed with the current participation of the site. Lets face it the huge number of owners and enthusiasts are gone. So we should have a more "club type" meets around the country. Like the Don garlits show meet we had last month, wasn't a huge meet but we had 6 members and two other "Dakota peeps" at the meet. Have the club members have a regional meet set-up and the members that can make the meet closest to them can attend, post up the pitcures on here and on facebook to draw more interest in the club and the Dakota platform.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

I too think there's too much emphasis put on givaways and freebies that we try to force our vendors to come up with every year for these meets. If a vendor sees there's going to be a big bunch of people there and want to foster some additional publicity for themselves by sending something to giveaway - then great! But we shouldn't be trying to hold their feet to the fire to get it from them either. While just like everybody else - I LIKE freebies and giveaways - none of that enters into my decision to attend a meet. I go for the comraderie and to see friends or make new ones. If a meet is close enough for me to make it then I'll be there. If our "meet" ends up just being a bunch of Dakota guys showing up for some other event at the same time? It's still all good as far as I'm concerned. We can't get enough trucks in one place most of the time to make ourselves the main event anymore. But it's still fun to get together!
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Muscle Of Love

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    I think the whole "meet" thing needs to be changed with the current participation of the site. Lets face it the huge number of owners and enthusiasts are gone. So we should have a more "club type" meets around the country. Like the Don garlits show meet we had last month, wasn't a huge meet but we had 6 members and two other "Dakota peeps" at the meet. Have the club members have a regional meet set-up and the members that can make the meet closest to them can attend, post up the pitcures on here and on facebook to draw more interest in the club and the Dakota platform.
    Thing is we might scare away non club members.

GPz550 Addict

Status

The Sacramento Meet in 2013 was a good one, and my first with the club. We can meet for fun drags there, or just about anywhere. The free prizes wasn't why I attended that event, but like stated above, wanted to meet others that have the same passion for the R/T. I didn't know anyone at that time, and expected them to be more rowdy than they were, from everyone's postings. I wasn't disappointed.
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

I think a trifecta setup is a great idea because it lets a lot of people have access to meets that otherwise can't do it. We could have 1000 rabid fanatic members but the country is just too big for a single national meet. I loved the idea of driving out to Reno when Reno 2015 was proposed... until I checked Google maps and found the 40 hour drive time.

Lurker

Status

The more meets the better with club covering upfront costs. As stated all meets should breakeven / make a little profit for the club. If local organizers choose to go after some sponsorship / prizes even better but not necessary IMO.

Josh - 98 BLK RC - Mad Milkshake Maker
    Previous
    99 BLK RC - Mad Trash Hauler - sold
    99 DA RC - mad dak - Danno Stole it
    01 SLVR RC - mad sexy - retired - then died
    99 IB RC - mad RT - gone to heaven..

Former Certified member of the 11 Second NA RT Club

Status

Better yet if the regional meets were held on different dates a member would be able to attend a couple. I like Carlisle and Memphis and would probably attend both.

Status

If we can do the trifecta, I can rally some D4 members to the Memphis meet. I can do without the giveaways. I never really cared for them. They were just a bonus. I just like getting together with fellow gear heads. The road trip portion is always pretty fun, too. Anyone that bases their participation on the giveaways has the wrong idea towards the meets. But to each their own.
    2004 SRT4 Moar Pah Coming DD
    2002 Dakota R/T 12.376@110.84

"Is there any way to make this easier? I'm way confused now. I just tried to post a video, but instead I got my dick caught in the ceiling fan" Wyotech_Cuda440

OG DRTC

Status

Giveaways are a bonus and not needed. I think the club would benefit more from raffles through out the year than meet giveaways.

Everyone says the trip to/from the meet is just as much fun as the meet. The large 30+ truck caravans are a thing of the past just like the 100+ truck national meets. But I think setting up a cruise on a pre-planned route during the meet with the final stop being the location of the banquet/dinner would be more fun than say a show and shine, especially if you only have 10-20 or less trucks at the meet. Maybe even turn it into a poker run if you can get enough volunteers to set up the stops. The few poker runs I have done were always fun to do. Could even open it up to other local car groups to bump participation.

Even if you don't do giveaways, it would be good to try and get some sponsors onboard to help offset some of the cost if possible. Maybe have them donate the trophies for racing. Doing smaller regional meets would make it easier to get local shops to help out, where as a large national meet, local shops wouldn't have as much incentive because most of the people wouldnt be able to give them business from the other side of country. And if giveaways are done, make them just certificates for items instead of having them send the hard items themselves. Just makes it a logistical nightmare trying to get parts where they need to be. Certificates could be printed out by the people running the meet so there is no extra shipping cost.

I think each division should try and set up a divisional meet every year. Even if it's just a meet for dinner, or meet at the track one weekend. Obviously with the size of most divisions, not everyone will attend, but could move it around within the division to keep everyone involved. The DRTC used to issue funds out for each division to hold one meet a year. But that was back when membership was higher and there was more dues collected to have the money to do that. But these meets also helped keep participation up to keep the dues coming in.

GPz550 Addict

Status

How many registered members are there in each division?
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    I too think there's too much emphasis put on givaways and freebies that we try to force our vendors to come up with every year for these meets. If a vendor sees there's going to be a big bunch of people there and want to foster some additional publicity for themselves by sending something to giveaway - then great! But we shouldn't be trying to hold their feet to the fire to get it from them either. While just like everybody else - I LIKE freebies and giveaways - none of that enters into my decision to attend a meet. I go for the comraderie and to see friends or make new ones. If a meet is close enough for me to make it then I'll be there. If our "meet" ends up just being a bunch of Dakota guys showing up for some other event at the same time? It's still all good as far as I'm concerned. We can't get enough trucks in one place most of the time to make ourselves the main event anymore. But it's still fun to get together!
    ^^^this!
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

This is all great stuff and has moved me to be paid member.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Marsh Madness

Status

The only thing. Would add to this was the raffle. When we did the trifecta meet last time. There was a traveling raffle that everyone that attended had the chance to purchase. Might not be a bad idea to keep those going (1. Raises club funds and 2. A good way to show its a national club). I don't know how much effort it took to get them from spot to spot, but I thought it was a good idea.
    ~James Marsh
    Marsh Madness Specialties

Speed Cost Money.
    How Fast Do You Want To Go???
    ~Graham Hill

...408 in the works...(waiting on me)

+ Reply to Thread