+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 98 Blue CC Re-build / Re-Fresh

Default 98 Blue CC Re-build / Re-Fresh

Hey everyone just wanted to start a thread to keep track of the slow rebuild I will be doing on my 98 R/T. I acquired this truck from my late uncle who let some borrow it then abandoned it with bald tires, a blown motor and who knows what else I may encounter....

Can you Find the truck in all this crap?

Getting her pulled out from the back yard.

1st time seeing pavement in 5 years.

On our way home. FL --> OH

She is one dirty girl..

Home ready for a good cleaning

After cleaning..

Bald tires..

Shaker...

Up next is the motor swap.....
    Last edited by Dcreek02; 02-19-2018 at 12:21 PM.

---Under Construction---

Status

That's a pretty cool find and a nice one to save, especially with that shaker on it. She shines right up too! Good luck on your build.

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

Nice save man! I tip my hat to ya My condolences to you and the family about your Uncle, he obviously had great taste, glad she found her way into your hands!
    - 99' Dodge Dakota R/T CC -
    - 1 of 4 R/T Moon roof trucks; that I've seen anyway. -
    - Stock Bed, Stock Tailgate. Coming soon...

- #1253 -

So started on the engine swap this week. I didn't really get to far on it, we had an unexpected problem with one of my dogs. She had congenital spinal failure and basically one day she was walking the next no control of her rear. This kinda put a damper on working on the truck since she was my garage dog. She will be missed.

But on with the truck, I did get the front end off and most of the front of the engine off not much more till I get to pull the motor.

I did find some rust which I am very supprised about since this truck has lived in Jacksonville, Fl it's entire life.
    The rust was in the little pocket that is right behind the passenger headlight. It is not much but still wasn't expecting the rust.
    Last edited by Dcreek02; 02-19-2018 at 12:32 PM.

I like free kittens

Status

There's only 1 thing worse than ohios road salt.

Ocean mist salt. It's in the air. Gets into WAY more places than salt slush splash off the road.

Worst brake job of my life was on a navigator that had 90k miles on it. From Florida. Rotor was so rusted to the hub, that we broke it to pieces yet still had the center stuck to the hub. Gave up. Tried to pull entire hub. The bolts were so rusted they rounded off and we couldn't pull the hub. It took 3 days of beating, cussing, spraying penetrant oil/catalyst, before we finally got the old ones off.

My buddy owed me many beers after that!!
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

Sorry about your dog pal, had the same thing happen to one of mine 6 months ago, fine when I left for work
    paralyzed when I came home.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sorry about your dog pal, had the same thing happen to one of mine 6 months ago, fine when I left for work
    paralyzed when I came home.
    Thanks, Yeah it sucks when it happens all of a sudden. Found it hard to believe that her breed (Staffie/pit bull) have week spinal cords, you really wouldn't think that breed would have a week spot
    Last edited by Dcreek02; 02-19-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Status

Great picture! Mine was german shepherd Chow mix, who knows. Now go get a new pup!
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

sorry about the pup... I couldn't imagine

And salty air rust from florida.. I remember those days.
    - Josh

2000 Solar Yellow R/T - Cam Only Truck
    1987 Buick Regal T-Type - WE4 and Blackout
    2008 GMC 1500 Quad Cab
    1989 Jeep YJ - Real Jeeps have Square Headlights
    1971 Buick Skylark - LS SWAP THE WORLD

So small update:

Finally got to take a long overdue vacation, ended up taking a West Caribbean cruise.
    But back to the truck:
    I pulled the intake of to discover the mess inside:

After messing with taking off as much as possible I got the engine out over the weekend. I let the truck roll out of the garage a little to do some cleaning. Let most of the built up caked on oil soak in some cleaner for a couple of hours then proceeded to power wash the engine bay:

Sorry for got to take the after shots. I also ended up taking some parts off the new motor to get cleaned up and all new gaskets while everything was easy to get to.
    before:

After:

I have a bunch of other parts all cleaned up along with most of the bolts but I will not bore you with every single part. Right now I am cleaning up the motor but have yet to decide what color I want to go. Kinda stuck between Flat aluminum or a satin black, maybe Chrysler blue. not really sure.
    Last edited by Dcreek02; 02-19-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Looking good! Nice find for sure. Good to see it saved from the brushpile.

"The Dakota" 1995 RC Dakota 5.9 NV3500 Just hauls ass

"The Dinggo" 5.2 Hauls the family

So another little update:

Got some Por15 layed down on the front frame rail while the motor was out.

Got the new motor in....all cleaned up

Last edited by Dcreek02; 02-19-2018 at 12:38 PM.

I also have pulled the gas tank and scrubbed the crap out of it, ordered and installed a new fuel pump.
    I have pulled the complete interior pressure washed and shampooed the carpet, pulled all the seat covers and ran them in the washing machine.

Now I have both front fenders off cutting out the rust.

Last edited by Dcreek02; 02-19-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Lurker

Status

Nice work you're going to have a nice truck she's finished. Was the engine a rebuild or junkyard find?

Josh - 98 BLK RC - Mad Milkshake Maker
    Previous
    99 BLK RC - Mad Trash Hauler - sold
    99 DA RC - mad dak - Danno Stole it
    01 SLVR RC - mad sexy - retired - then died
    99 IB RC - mad RT - gone to heaven..

Former Certified member of the 11 Second NA RT Club

My uncle bought it off a guy that was building a 408. The new motor has about 45k on it.

So I know I have been slacking on the update on the truck but long story short I fixed some the rest of the rust issue/corrosion from a leaky battery then I did get the engine all back together after a quick oil change the truck fired right up which is very exciting. I am getting ready to start my suspension overhaul since all the rubber and joints are shot. I ordered all new Moog suspension parts which should be here in the next day or so. I will take some photos of it together tonight and get them up here.

---Under Construction---

Status

More pics. Sounds like good progress.

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

Looking forward to more pics and updates. It's awesome that you're saving this thing. Intense Blue Club Cabs are my personal fave.

Steve - 1999 Flame Red RC R/T-56
    Comp Cams | F&B | Mopar | Spintech | SCT | Hotchkis

I did find some pictures of when I was messing with the fenders.

Last edited by Dcreek02; 02-19-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dcreek02 View Post
    So small update:

Finally got to take a long overdue vacation, ended up taking a West Caribbean cruise.

Here is the girl and I in Haiti:
    Haiti huh? I didn't know that was a vacation spot. Last time I was there was right after the earthquake. Wasn't a vacation though. haha
    2003 Silver RC: 2.02/1.60 EQs by IMM engines, 218XR cam from hipotek, FRP tune, M1 2bbl, spintech headers w true duals, 1.6 adj rockers, 52mm TB, 2800 stall, lots of other shit.
    2000 White CC: DEAD!!! Zeus M1, Hipotek 53mm TB, Spintech Mids, x-pipe, true duals with Hooker Aerochambers; Mopar Performance ECU; CAI; Belltech Lowering kit.
    2002 Black RC: Long gone
    2005 Black Srt-4: AGP Delta 46 turbo. Sold it and it only took the guy 5 days to total it

2015 HD Dyna Street Bob: V&H Shortshots, FP3, SE Stg 1 Air Cleaner, Progressive lowering shocks.
    2008 HD Nightster: Sadly traded in

Good job on saving this one.

Quote Originally Posted by moparmadman View Post
    Haiti huh? I didn't know that was a vacation spot. Last time I was there was right after the earthquake. Wasn't a vacation though. haha
    Haha Yeah It is a very nice place. They have the worlds longest zip line that we took advantage of while we were there. The only reason that it was nice was because this particular part of the island that we went to was owned by Royal Caribbean.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dcreek02 View Post
    Haha Yeah It is a very nice place. They have the worlds longest zip line that we took advantage of while we were there. The only reason that it was nice was because this particular part of the island that we went to was owned by Royal Caribbean.
    I was wondering about the Haiti stop-over too. We've done eastern & western Caribbean cruises. Very nice to get away from cold & snow in January.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

After doing a little reading on here for the tune-up I went with the NGK plugs, Summit Racing wire set and NAPA Cap and rotor.

Last night in the what felt like -32 weather I went ahead and started to break down all the front suspension for a much needed replacement.I decided to go with all new Moog bushings and joints. While it is all off the car a good sand blasting/ cleaning then much needed paint will take place.

Last edited by Dcreek02; 02-19-2018 at 12:45 PM.

Check out Rock Auto in the sponsor page for the discount code on parts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast