Thread: Camshafts w/ Stock Heads.

Status

Default Camshafts w/ Stock Heads.

I can't tell you how many times I've been asked about recommendations about putting a cam in a Magnum with stock heads. Everyone wants that rumpity rumpity sound, without the expense of buying heads too.

I had a 5.9 Jeep go dyno the other night. Huge cam (230/236 110 LSA) on stock heads, airgap, bolt ons.No cat, mids, 3" pipe. Dyno reads 10-20 whp low. 261 whp/320 wtq off the street, no tuning on Dyno. I might be able to get a few more out of it but not 50+.

In this particular case, the by the time that cam is ready to sing, the heads and to a lesser degree the intake manifold are done. So he has marginal low end, with less than stellar top end. Overall, NOT a good combo. I have trucks with M1s and bolt ons that make similiar if not better power. Imagine how disappointed that owner must feel. I feel bad too, but I can't get around airflow limitations.

Just my .02 on this rainy 9-11 here in Houston.
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

Status

couldnt agree with you more, you gotta pay to play
    1999 solar fire reboot
    Gas-Beat-Repeat

Status

were you in on the facebook post about the cam?

Status

you mean my thumper cam needs heads?..
    - Josh

2000 Solar Yellow R/T - Cam Only Truck
    1987 Buick Regal T-Type - WE4 and Blackout
    2008 GMC 1500 Quad Cab
    1989 Jeep YJ - Real Jeeps have Square Headlights
    1971 Buick Skylark - LS SWAP THE WORLD

I like free kittens

Status

You have to be real about what you want. every decision has sacrifices. You're not gonna have a daily driver with off idle torque, 18" of manifold vacuum, lopey idle, and a power band that lets you pull to 7500 rpm on the track. So, you gotta make up your mind on what your truck is.

If you want a driver with that lopey idle and good low end torque, you can do that. but it won't be a 12 second truck. Most of the cams that make REAL power are very long duration, with a 110-112 lobe separation angle. that creates a very late closing point for the intake valve, which bleeds of cylinder pressure at lower RPM.

I know it's somewhat unconventional but if you're after that lope but just want a solid driver that isn't about going all out on the track, then pick a cam with a little less duration, a very tight LSA with lots of advance. something around 220 on the duration, 106-108 LSA, and an installed centerline of around 104.

I present my combo as evidence of how this kind of cam will run. Idle manifold vacuum is 8-9", JUST enough that it still operates the power brakes. my engine will rev quickly. it has lots of lope at idle. With stock heads, I was all done by 5500 rpm. dyno'd 285 rwhp through a manual transmission, which would be in alignment with what Ryan posted above through an automatic. Only enough power for mid to low 14 1/4 mile times.

For me, I don't care about how fast I am on the track. There's always another guy with deeper pockets who runs faster. My goals were: Looks good, Sounds good, Fun to drive, any day of the year.

Some day I may finally do a 408 build, and go after some real power, but for now, I am fighting the urge, because I can still go out any day of the year and go for a drive, although my tire selection isn't the best for snowy slushy roads, but who wants to deal with salt and rust and grime on their weekend toy?
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

I like free kittens

Status

by the way, my cam specs are the Whiplash by hughes: 222/228 @ .050 107 LSA, installed at 104. lift is .544
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

the only cam I'd throw in a stock engine is the R/T cam