+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: OBD1 to OBD2 Conversion---->Im going for it

Nice work! Glad to see you got it together.

"The Dakota" 1995 RC Dakota 5.9 NV3500 Just hauls ass

"The Dinggo" 5.2 Hauls the family

Status

Well I got it all finished, if your following along you maybe remember I said I still had to test the cruise control, go figure that doesn't work, LOL, after a few hours of testing I determined all the wiring from the cruise switch to the servo to the pcm through the brake switch is all good per the 96 manual. I actually found 2 problems, I had the speed control switch ground to chassis ground and it should have been sensor ground so I had to run another wire (factory color black/blue tracer of course lol), still didn't correct anything..then I remember that I still have my original automatic transmission computer, I plugged it in and the cruise works as designed, I reconnected the sensor ground to chassis ground and it didn't work so basically I determined that the PCM I planned on using is infact bad and also I had to run another wire, PCM connector C cavity 11 is supposed to output 12volts to the cruise switch which it does but it drops out after 10 seconds or once you press the set button, so ill have to get that reman'd but otherwise its complete and ready for tune... pictures for proof to follow

diagnostics being performed (you have no idea how pissed and frustrated I was when I took this pic LOL)

proof of communication (note the map sensor reading 2.2psi lol I think it was a scanner glitch because the drb read 9.2 hg with engine off)

starting the wrap up

final wrap up complete

final product

I'm going to make one more post later with my circuit modifications and a few more parts numbers but otherwise its complete..
    1995 Dakota Club Cab, 408, 5spd, 8 3/4 rear end

Status

Remember how I said I don't recommend doing this in the first post? well I still don't but here's a bunch of info for those that decide they want to try it... I am not responsible for you screwing up your truck/burning your shop or house down....this is just a guide and everything should be double checked to your truck if you try it... proceed with extreme caution lol

Notes I don't think I mentioned previously:
    -biggest difference in wire harness's between 95 and 96 is that on the 96 harness there is a grommet on the passenger side where the harness goes into the cab and runs through a channel on the back of the dash, on the 95 it goes along the firewall over to the passenger side where it goes in through a grommet...
    -purge valve connector is different but wired the same
    -pcm mount holes are different, two out of the three will bolt to fender but need to fabricate a small mount plate to attach the 3rd hole to inner fender
    -this swap wouldn't be as easy with an auto transmission-much more pcm inputs from auto transmission in 96 vs the 95 which is only the o/d off circuits
    -to my knowledge all the pcm'c have cruise control even if the vehicle isn't equipt
    -you NEED the FACTORY service manual from your truck and the new truck or you will fail

total estimated cost for parts:
    6$ egr gaskets
    $35 block off plate egr tube and valve
    $100 junkyard wire harness, purge valve and vac lines, auto computer which ill resell, battery temp sensor, other misc items
    $90 manual trans computer-needs rebuilding to fix cruise so going to cost another $200.00 or so
    $65 cruise switch
    $75 o2 sensor
    $55 o2 sensor
    $5 misc revets
    $35 crimp bands/solder
    $15 shrink wrap
    $20 black/cloth tape

TOTAL $501.00+tuning

Total parts cost that were needed not just because of this swap but would've been needed regardless of standalone or whatever, they even made a difference with OBD1:
    $90 fuel pressure regulator
    $100 255 walbro
    $15 misc clamps etc
    $275 30lb accel injectors
    $225 exhaust system
    $395 dual a/f ratio gauges

TOTAL $1100.00

Additional Chrysler part numbers:
    56027319-purge valve to fuel rail mount bracket
    68065586AA- cloth anti tear harness tape
    5259756-IAT sensor
    4798825AC- fuel pressure regulator
    56007514AA-speed control switch
    56041004- rear o2 sensor
    56041213-front o2 sensor
    5073034AA- brass splice band small (used mostly)
    5073035AA-brass splice band medium (used 10 or so)
    5073036AA- brass splice bands large (only used a few)
    CBRAH070- worlds greatest heat shrink tubing

VIN number from donor truck for my future reference:
    1B7FL26Y2TS587658

circuit modifications:

PCM CONNECTOR A:
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A2-DARK BLUE-IGN SW OUTPUT RUN/START---95 HARNESS IGN SW OUTPUT RUN/START PCM CAVITY 9-DARK BLUE
    96 COMUPTER CAVITY A4-BLACK/LIGHT BLUE---95 HARNESS SENSOR GROUND PCM CAVITY 4-BLACK/LIGHT BLUE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A7-GREY-IGN COIL #1 DRIVER---95 HARNESS IGN COIL #1 DRIVER PCM CAVITY 19-GREY
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A8-GREY/BLACK- CRANK SENSOR SIGNAL CKP---95 HARNESS CRANK SENSOR SIGNAL PCM CAVITY 24 GREY/BLACK
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A10-YELLOW/BLACK- IAC MOTOR DRIVER 2---95 HARNESS IAC MOTOR DRIVER 2-PCM CAVITY 60 YELLOW/BLACK
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A11-BROWN/WHITE- IAC MOTOR DRIVER 3---95 HARNESS IAC MOTOR DRIVER 3-PCM CAVITY 40 BROWN/WHITE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A15-BLACK/RED IAT TEMP SENSOR SIGNAL---95 HARNESS IAT TEMP SENSOR SIGNAL-PCM CAVITY 21 BLACK/RED
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A16-TAN/BLACK ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SIGNAL---95 HARNESS ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SIGNAL-PCM CAVITY 2 TAN/BLACK
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A17-VIOLET/WHITE- 5V SUPPLY---95 HARNESS 5V SUPPY-PCM CAVITY 6 VIOLET/WHITE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A18-TAN/YELLOW-CAM SENSOR SIGNAL---95 HARNESS CAM SENSOR SIGNAL-PCM CAVITY 44 TAN/YELLOW
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A19-GREY/RED-IAC MOTOR #1---95 HARNESS IAC MOTOR #1- PCM CAVITY 39 GREY/RED
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A20-VIOLET/BLACK-IAC MOTOR #4---95 HARNESS IAC MOTOR #4-PCM CAVITY 59 VIOLET/BLACK
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A22-RED/WHITE- FUSED B+---95 HARNESS -FUSED B+ PCM CAVITY 3RED/WHITE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A23-ORANGE/DARK BLUE-TPS SIGNAL---95 HARNESS - TPS SIGNAL-PCM CAVITY 22 ORANGE/DARK BLUE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A27- DARK GREEN/RED-MAP SENSOR---95 HARNESS-MAP SENSOR-PCM CAVITY 1 DARK GREEN/RED
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A31-BLACK/TAN GROUND---95 HARNESS-GROUND- PCM CAVITY 11 BLACK/TAN
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A32-BLACK/TAN-GROUND---95 HARNESS- GROUND- PCM CAVITY 12 BLACK/TAN
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A24-TAN/WHITE-UPSTREAM HEATED O2 SENSOR---***MUST TAKE FROM DONOR VEHICLE 95 HAS NO CIRCUIT
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY A25-TAN/PINK-DOWNSTREAM HEATED O2 SENSOR---***MUST TAKE FROM DONOR VEHICLE 95 HAS NO CIRCUIT
    96 COMPUTER*AUTO TRANS ONLY* CAVITY A6-BROWN/YELLOW PRK/NTRL SWITCH SENSE---95 HARNESS PK/NTRL PCM CAVITY 30 BROWN/YELLOW
    ***95 HARNESS/PCM CAVITY 41 BLACK/DARK GREEN-HEATED O2 SENSOR- NO LONGER USED

PCM CONNECTOR B
    *96 COMPUTER CAVITY B2-DARK BLUE-INJECTOR 7 DRIVER---95 HARNESS -INJECTOR 7 DRIVER-PCM CAVITY 17 DARK BLUE/TAN
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY B4-WHITE/DARK BLUE INJECTOR 1 DRIVER---95 HARNESS INJECTOR 1 DRIVER-PCM CAVITY 16 WHITE/DARK BLUE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY B5-YELLOW/WHITE INJECTOR 3 DRIVER----95 HARNESS INJECTOR 3 DRIVER-PCM CAVITY 14 YELLOW/WHITE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY B6-GREY-INJECTOR 5 DRIVER---95 HARNESS INJECTOR 5 DRIVER PCM CAVITY 38 PINK/BLACK
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY B10-DARK GREEN- GENERATOR FEILD DRIVER---95 HARNESS GENERATOR FEILD DRIVER-PCM CAVITY 20- DARK GREEN
    96 COMPUTER *AUTO TRANS* CAVITY B11 ORANGE/BLACK TCC SOLENOID--95 HARNESS-TCC SOLENOID-PCM CAVITY 54- ORANGE/BLACK
    96 COMPUTER *MAN TRANS* CAVITY B11 ORANGE/BLACK UPSHIFT LIGHT--95 HARNESS-UPSHIFT LIGHT-PCM CAVITY 54- ORANGE/BLACK
    *96 COMPUTER CAVITY B12 BROWN/RED INJECTOR 6 DRIVER---95 HARNESS-INJECTOR 6 DRIVER-PCM CAVITY 58 -LIGHT GREEN/BLACK
    *96 COMPUTER CAVITY B13 GREY/LIGHT BLUE-INJECTOR 8 DRIVER---95 HARNESS-INJECTOR 8 DRIVER-PCM CAVITY 18-DARK BLUE/GREY
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY B15 TAN-INJECTOR 2 DRIVER---95 HARNESS-INJECTOR 2 DRIVER-PCM CAVITY 15-TAN
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY B16 LIGHT BLUE/BROWN INJECTOR 4 DRIVER---95 HARNESS-INJECTOR 4 DRIVER-PCM CAVITY 13 LIGHT BLUE/BROWN
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY B27 WHITE/ORANGE-VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL---95 HARNESS VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL-PCM CAVITY 47 WHITE/ORANGE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY B31 RED/YELLOW-5 VOLT SUPPLY---95 HARNESS 8 VOLT SUPPLY-PCM CAVITY 7-ORANGE
    96 COMPUTER *AUTO TRANS ONLY* CAVITY B1 VIOLET-TRANS TEMP SENSOR SIGNAL---95 HARNESS- MUST ADD CIRCUIT FOR AUTO/NOT USED ON MANUAL
    96 COMPUTER *AUTO TRANS ONLY* CAVITY B8 PINK-VARIABLE FORCE SOLENOID----95 HARNESS-MUST ADD CIRCUIT FOR AUTO/NOT USED ON MANUAL
    96 COMPUTER *AUTO TRANS ONLY* CAVITY B21 BROWN-OVERDRIVE SOLENOID CONTROL-95 AUTO HARNESS-O/D SOLENOID CONTROL CAVITY 55 OR/LG
    96 COMPUTER *AUTO TRANS ONLY*CAVITY B25-DARK BLUE/BLACK OUTPUT SHAFT SPEED SESNOR GROUND- 95 HARNESS-MUST ADD CIRCUIT FOR AUTO
    96 COMPUTER *AUTO TRANS ONLY* CAVITY B28-LG/WT OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR-95 HARNESS-MUST ADD CIRCUIT FOR AUTO/NOT USED MANUAL
    96 COMPUTER *AUTO TRANS ONLY*CAVITY B29-LIGHT GREEN/RED- GOV PRESS SENSOR SIGNAL---95 HARNESS MUST ADD CIRCUIT FOR AUTO/MAN N/A
    96 COMPUTER *AUTO TRANS ONLY*CAVITY B30-VIOLET/LIGHT BLUE-ELEC TRANS RELAY-95 HARNESS MUST ADD CIRCUIT

CONECTOR C
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C1-DARK BLUE/ORANGE- A/C CLUTCH RELAY---95 HARNESS-A/C CLUTCH RELAY-PCM CAVITY 34 DARK BLUE/ORANGE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C3-DARK BLUE/YELLOW-ASD RELAY---95 HARNESS ASD RELAY PCM CAVITY 51-DARK BLUE/YELLOW
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C4-TAN/RED- SPEED CONTROL VACUUM SOL.---95 HARNESS- SC VAC SOL-PCM CAVITY 33-TAN/RED
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C5- LIGHT GREEN/RED-SPEED CONTROL VENT SOL.---95 HARNESS SC VENT SOL.-PCM CAVITY 49LIGHT GREEN/RED
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C11-YELLOW/RED-SPEED CONTROL 12V SUPPLY---95 HARNESS-SC ON/OFF SWITCH SENSE-PCM CAVITY 49 YELLOW/RED
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C12-DARK GREEN/ORANGE- ASD RELAY OUTPUT---95 HARNESS-ASD RELAY OUTPUT-PCM CAVITY 57-DARK GREEN/ORANGE
    *96 COMPUTER CAVITY C15-PINK YELLOW-TO BATTERY TEMP SENSOR---95 HARNESS-MUST ADD SENSOR AND WIRE TO PCM FROM SENSOR-OTHER SIDE OF CIRCUIT GOES TO BLACK/LIGHT BLUE SENSOR GROUND IN THE DRIVER SIDE INJECTOR HARNESS
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C17-BLACK/PINK MIL LAMP DRIVER---95 HARNESS-MIL LAMP DRIVER-PCM CAVITY 32 BLACK/PINK
    *96 COMPUTER CAVITY C20-PINK/WHITE-EVAP PURGE SOL.---95 HARNESS-PURGE SOL.-PCM CAVITY 52 PINK/BLACK*CONNECTOR/VALVE ON 96 DIFFERENT*
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C22-BROWN-A/C REQUEST---95 HARNESS-A/C SWITCH SENSE-PCM CAVITY 27-BROWN
    *96 COMPUTER CAVITY C23-LIGHTGREEN/BLACK---95 HARNESS-MUST ADD CIRCUIT TO DARK/BLUE WIRE FROM HVAC SWITCH TO A/C LOW PRESSURE SWITCH-CONNECT TO PART OF CIRCUIT BEFORE THE A/C LOW PRESSURE SWITCH ON THE ACCUMULATOR/RECIVER DRYER
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C24 WHITE/PINK-STOP LAMP SWITCH SENSE---95 HARNESS STOP LAMP SWITCH SENS-PCM CAVITY 29 WHITE/PINK
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C26 FUEL MONITOR OUTPUT LIGHT BLUE/BLACK---NOT USED-SETS NO CODES- WOULD GO TO FUEL PUMP ON A 96-CIRUIT N/A-95
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C27- PINK-SCI TRANSIT---95 HARNESS-SCITRANSIT PCM CAVITY C25 PINK-MUST ALSO WIRE TO DATA LINK CONNECTOR-3WAY SPLICE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C28 WHITE/BLACK CCD BUS (-)--95 HARNESS N/A MUST ADD CIRCUIT TO DATA LINK CONNECTOR
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C29 LIGHT GREEN SCI RECEIVE---95 HARNESSSCI RECEIVE-CAVITY 45-LIGHT GREEN-MUST ALSO WIRE TO DATA LINK 3WAY SPLICE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C30 VIOLET/BROWN-CCD BUS(+)---95 HARNESS N/A MUST ADD CIRCUIT TO DATA LINK CONNECTOR
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C31 GREY/LIGHT BLUE-TACH SIGNAL---95 HARNESS-TACH SIGNAL-CAVITY 43-GREY/LIGHT BLUE
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C32 WHITE/LIGHT GREEN-SPEED CONTROL SWITCH SIGNAL---95 HARNESS-SC SWITCH RESUME/ACCEL-CAVITY 50 WHITE/LIGHTGREEN
    96 COMPUTER *AUTO ONLY* CAVITY C6 LIGHT GREEN/ORANGE-O/D OFF DRIVER---95 HARNESS OD OFF DRIVER-CAVITY 37-BLACK/ORANGE
    96 COMPUTER *AUTO ONLY* CAVITY C7 PINK/BLACK-TRANS TEMP LAMP DRIVER---95 HARNESS N/A-NO TRANS TEMP LIGHT IN CLUSTER
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C16- DARK GREEN/YELLOW- GENERATOR LAMP DRIVER---95 HARNESS N/A NO GENERATOR LIGHT IN CLUSTER-DIDNT SET CODE FOR ME
    96 COMPUTER CAVITY C19-BROWN YELLOW-FUEL PUMP RELAY CONTROL---95 HARNESS N/A--I DIDNT CONNECT TO ANYTHING AND SET CODE FOR FUEL PUMP RELAY CONTROL. I THINK COULD CONNECT TO ASD RELAY PCM CAVITY C3 DARK BLUE/YELLOW 95 HARNESS AND NOT SET CODE, CODE IS NOT ONE THAT WILL SET AN ENGINE LIGHT
    96 COMPUTER *AUTO ONLY* CAVITY C13 ORANGE/WHITE-O/D OFF SWITCH SENSE---95 HARNESS O/D OFF SWITCH SENSE PCM CAVITY 10-ORANGE/WHITE

Also the clockspring in the same between 95 and 96 models but the speed control switch is different and the wiring at the clock spring input connector is different, the clockspring to cruise switch does not need to be modified. the clockspring input connector was modified as follows: when plugged into clock spring and listed from driver side to passenger side
    the colors originally yellow/red, brown/red, white/red, white/light green, black/red modified to=yellow/red, left empty, black/light blue wire must be ran all the way to sensor ground in main harness, white/light green, black/red

and that my friends is all you have to do to swap in OBD2 into your OBD1 Dakota
    Last edited by OldKota; 12-28-2015 at 12:59 AM.
    1995 Dakota Club Cab, 408, 5spd, 8 3/4 rear end

Default OBD1- OBD2 Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by OldKota View Post
    First I want to say IM NOT asking how to do this or if its feasable, this Is basically my build thread telling you how I am GOING to do it...(unless I fail LOL-if I do ill report on that as well haha) all my research of the topic leads to a bunch of people talking about how it would be a pain and how it is too much work, probably wont work blah blah blah, nobody that's tried it or done it on a dodge that I can find...just a lot of talkers... All I can say Is that we'll find out soon enough.... I think it will work...

A little about me: worked on cars my whole life, spent 15 months at wyotech in Wyoming studing auto repair/custom fab etc. I since have worked for dodge for 10 years and have been building up my home shop for the last 10 years where I specialize in moonlight auto repairs/medium duty fabrication/small engine repair/camper repair/etc... I have a lot of tools and a big enough work space to allow a project to sit. since I work for Chrysler I have unlimited access to service manuals and scanners. im 29.5 yrs old.

Disclaimer: My initial glance at this project, i would say like has been said in the past-DONT TRY THIS AT HOME LOL, it will not be easy and would not be something id recommend others do unless you also have patience and a very good grasp of electronics and the vehicle your working on. also what I do here may not work for your vehicle because of different options and combinations. I believe this swap for me will be significantly easier that converting to a newer (97+ harness) due to the 95-96 Dakotas being so similar even a 92,93,94, differently equipt 95 would be totally different swap and you could only use my info as a guide not the definitive answer

my truck: 1995 Dakota 5spd manual 318 engine originally, now 408 5spd manual but is a OBD1 mopar computer

So im in the junkyard the other day and I see a 1996 Dakota, after a closer look I find that it is pretty much intact as far as wiring/pcm goes and its as close to my truck as im going to find probably... it has a 5.2 liter v8, auto trans, 2wd with similar options to my truck. my plan is to remove the entire harness including the interior harness but use as little of it as possible... ill post up pictures as I go, but as of right now im 2 hours into the removal of the harness and have the engine harness out of the truck with the exception of a couple transmission connectors.... I am friends with the guys that run the yard and they are going to lift the truck up once I get the dash out so I can get the last few connectors out...

that's all I got for now, ill update with pics as I go, wish me luck
    I just bought a '94 sport with a 5.2 and manual trans., and I'm looking at doing the same thing, primarily because my PCM has lost the ignition coil driver and even if it was still functioning or I wanted to get a replacement/repair, tuning choices are just about nil for the OBD1 system. My truck has Thorley Tri-Y headers, a Magnaflow (read that loud) exhaust and a K&N-type air cleaner.
    I've put together a sheet similar to yours with a conductor color/pin number crossover. Unless I'm totally ignorant, (which is definitely a possibility) I think all that's needed is a manual trans PCM, the 3 connectors, and some way to provide a fake signal from the (nonexistent) downstream CAT to prevent an MIL. A simple voltage divider should take care of this. I'm looking at just splicing the OBDII connectors to my existing harness, and sticking the diag connector near the PCM, thereby reducing the amount of work needed. I'll either splice each conductor and hide the splices in the harness or use some kind of termination box on the inner fender close to the PCM. If I'm missing something please mention it; thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3