+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OBD1 to OBD2 Conversion---->Im going for it

Status

Default OBD1 to OBD2 Conversion---->Im going for it

First I want to say IM NOT asking how to do this or if its feasable, this Is basically my build thread telling you how I am GOING to do it...(unless I fail LOL-if I do ill report on that as well haha) all my research of the topic leads to a bunch of people talking about how it would be a pain and how it is too much work, probably wont work blah blah blah, nobody that's tried it or done it on a dodge that I can find...just a lot of talkers... All I can say Is that we'll find out soon enough.... I think it will work...

A little about me: worked on cars my whole life, spent 15 months at wyotech in Wyoming studing auto repair/custom fab etc. I since have worked for dodge for 10 years and have been building up my home shop for the last 10 years where I specialize in moonlight auto repairs/medium duty fabrication/small engine repair/camper repair/etc... I have a lot of tools and a big enough work space to allow a project to sit. since I work for Chrysler I have unlimited access to service manuals and scanners. im 29.5 yrs old.

Disclaimer: My initial glance at this project, i would say like has been said in the past-DONT TRY THIS AT HOME LOL, it will not be easy and would not be something id recommend others do unless you also have patience and a very good grasp of electronics and the vehicle your working on. also what I do here may not work for your vehicle because of different options and combinations. I believe this swap for me will be significantly easier that converting to a newer (97+ harness) due to the 95-96 Dakotas being so similar even a 92,93,94, differently equipt 95 would be totally different swap and you could only use my info as a guide not the definitive answer

my truck: 1995 Dakota 5spd manual 318 engine originally, now 408 5spd manual but is a OBD1 mopar computer

So im in the junkyard the other day and I see a 1996 Dakota, after a closer look I find that it is pretty much intact as far as wiring/pcm goes and its as close to my truck as im going to find probably... it has a 5.2 liter v8, auto trans, 2wd with similar options to my truck. my plan is to remove the entire harness including the interior harness but use as little of it as possible... ill post up pictures as I go, but as of right now im 2 hours into the removal of the harness and have the engine harness out of the truck with the exception of a couple transmission connectors.... I am friends with the guys that run the yard and they are going to lift the truck up once I get the dash out so I can get the last few connectors out...

that's all I got for now, ill update with pics as I go, wish me luck
    1995 Dakota Club Cab, 408, 5spd, 8 3/4 rear end

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Get ahold of Chris at pie. He was making kits to do that.

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

This should be interesting to watch. I wish you the best of luck
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Status

Quote Originally Posted by krs1r/t View Post
    I was gonna say that too.
    i applaud you for doing this, i believe it will be well worth the trouble and wish you luck, i think it may be easier that your expecting, hope so anyway.
    G-Man

Status

Excuse my ignorance, the benifits?
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

Troubleshooting, tuning abilities, accuracy of the tune and probably more. Obd2 was the next gen of engine management so? Should be a big improvement.
    G-Man

Quote Originally Posted by OldKota View Post
    First I want to say IM NOT asking how to do this or if its feasable, this Is basically my build thread telling you how I am GOING to do it...(unless I fail LOL-if I do ill report on that as well haha) all my research of the topic leads to a bunch of people talking about how it would be a pain and how it is too much work, probably wont work blah blah blah, nobody that's tried it or done it on a dodge that I can find...just a lot of talkers... All I can say Is that we'll find out soon enough.... I think it will work...

A little about me: worked on cars my whole life, spent 15 months at wyotech in Wyoming studing auto repair/custom fab etc. I since have worked for dodge for 10 years and have been building up my home shop for the last 10 years where I specialize in moonlight auto repairs/medium duty fabrication/small engine repair/camper repair/etc... I have a lot of tools and a big enough work space to allow a project to sit. since I work for Chrysler I have unlimited access to service manuals and scanners. im 29.5 yrs old.

Disclaimer: My initial glance at this project, i would say like has been said in the past-DONT TRY THIS AT HOME LOL, it will not be easy and would not be something id recommend others do unless you also have patience and a very good grasp of electronics and the vehicle your working on. also what I do here may not work for your vehicle because of different options and combinations. I believe this swap for me will be significantly easier that converting to a newer (97+ harness) due to the 95-96 Dakotas being so similar even a 92,93,94, differently equipt 95 would be totally different swap and you could only use my info as a guide not the definitive answer

my truck: 1995 Dakota 5spd manual 318 engine originally, now 408 5spd manual but is a OBD1 mopar computer

So im in the junkyard the other day and I see a 1996 Dakota, after a closer look I find that it is pretty much intact as far as wiring/pcm goes and its as close to my truck as im going to find probably... it has a 5.2 liter v8, auto trans, 2wd with similar options to my truck. my plan is to remove the entire harness including the interior harness but use as little of it as possible... ill post up pictures as I go, but as of right now im 2 hours into the removal of the harness and have the engine harness out of the truck with the exception of a couple transmission connectors.... I am friends with the guys that run the yard and they are going to lift the truck up once I get the dash out so I can get the last few connectors out...

that's all I got for now, ill update with pics as I go, wish me luck
    I'm wondering if a stand alone wouldn't be easier and cheaper to achieve your goal I have no experience with OB1 conversions or stand alone systems, but to me if he could run a MS or AEM it would be alot easier to terminate wires and have a GUI that's easy to work with in real time.
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Status

$100 ? vs $1000+ ?
    May be his reasoning?

Status

Is it a daily driver?
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    $100 ? vs $1000+ ?
    May be his reasoning?
    I never looked into it, but is that really the cost difference? If it's only 100 bucks to move to OB2 then what's the problem? Seems to be a no brainer at that price.
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Status

Quote Originally Posted by krs1r/t View Post
    The conversion process is listed for 2 grand on his website... I'm not sure if this includes tuning or the handheld or anything either, it also requires I remove my harness and send it in... none-the-less I sent him a PM on here a couple months ago, cant remember if I sent an email too or just thought about it... I actually sent two pm's...never got a response..

This should be interesting to watch. I wish you the best of luck
    Thanks, I might need it... haha

I was gonna say that too.
    i applaud you for doing this, i believe it will be well worth the trouble and wish you luck, i think it may be easier that your expecting, hope so anyway.
    G-Man
    I hope so too... the bulk of it is going to be easy, still about 15 circuits that I'm not sure if I'm going to have to add or not yet... 8 of those circuits are auto transmission related so I should be able to omit them...going to give up for tonight but I think I made some pretty solid headway actually already.... especially considering I don't have the harness in my possession actually yet.. just the 1995 and 1996 manual's...

I'm wondering if a stand alone wouldn't be easier and cheaper to achieve your goal I have no experience with OB1 conversions or stand alone systems, but to me if he could run a MS or AEM it would be alot easier to terminate wires and have a GUI that's easy to work with in real time.
    ive definatly thought about this quite a bit... but due to costs and the fact I'm pretty knowledgable with the Chrysler wiring I figured id stick with what I know... and a standalone I don't think will save me any time really, still need to wire it and read the books on how to wire it, still need help tuning it.... also don't know what GUI means and I'm also not that familiar with standalones so idk maybe I would be better off that way...

Is it a daily driver?
    On nice, not rainy summer days...yes its a daily driver...lol, not really.. its gonna have 2000miles on it from me this year, 2500 miles tops... usually few times a week, definatly wont be driven in the Wisconsin winter.... probably from end of October to May you cant drive cars here unless you want them to have holes through the panels after a couple years...

I never looked into it, but is that really the cost difference? If it's only 100 bucks to move to OB2 then what's the problem? Seems to be a no brainer at that price.
    I think ill get the entire harness and pcm for 100-150$, ill need a bag of shrink wrap tubes $50, crimp bands, solder, double sided tape $15.00, a couple new o2 sensors 150$, and it will need to be tuned afterward so another 500-700$ or whatever the going rate is there..... IMO still better then 1000$ for the MS system plus all the above, plus the satisfaction of saying I did it- still hoping I can pull this one off haha

If my wife asks tho, yea $100 and that's it, maybe $150 tops

Status

here is what I got so far- I have the connectors listed in order a/b/c, on the left is the 1996 harness so imagining that being the start and ending up on the right which will be the vehicle wiring that will remain hopefully... basically just graphing it so I know what color wires to connect to what color wires, a lot are the same but plenty of them are different... the things with stars by them indicate that there is no vehicle wiring on the other side and I have to figure out what to do their....so enough progress for tonight--I'm going to bed

Status

Are you getting both sides of the harness,all the under dash etc. as well?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by y2krtaf View Post
    Are you getting both sides of the harness,all the under dash etc. as well?
    yes I actually got that out today on my lunch break....fastest ive ever pulled a dash in my life, I didn't even braek anything except the side kick panel trim pieces due to rusted screws haha, ill have the entire front lighting harness and engine harness, pcm, interior harness (except the dome light portion) and the o2 sensor harness...

Ill have the pcm itself, the o2 harness and dash harness, I have to go back to get the rest of the engine harness monday, I couldn't get to the transmission connectors without lifting it and they wont let me jack it up for liability reasons otherwise id have it all right now... need to unplug 2-3 more connectors and ill have the entire truck harness other than part of the wiring for the dome light circuit, whatever goes into the doors (there is no power features for either truck but both have wiring out into the doors for something?? that I cut off..) and the rear lighting harness (I already looked I have the same connector so worst case scenario I repin the connector but I think itll plug and play)

Status

Nice!
    Should make life easier,the more pieces you can get.

gen III traitor

Status

Same price and same amount of work for a modern day engine management system...

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Status

yea I know I could go to a modern engine management system but I'm thinking that this is going to be a pretty straight forward swap still... and all the factory service manuals colors still match and stuff.. I plan on keeping this truck till I'm dead or godforbid I crash it to bad its not repairable .....so in 30 years from now when it gets a short somewhere id like to be able to use the factory manuals that I have and am accustom too...

I did a little prepping to the dash harness..... I got the data link connector removed from the 1996 dash harness... my plan is to use the obd2 plug only for fuel management where the factory would have used it also for abs and airbag, my plan is to use my 95 airbag system wiring for future diagnostics and I already don't have the original RWAL abs due to the Chrysler 8 3/4 rear axle not having a speed sensor provision..

todays haul

also got this in the mail today, sweet NOS mopar parts

some diagrams from the 1996 Dakota datalink connector circuits

The extraction:

The dlc harness, the only part needed from the whole dash harness, the o2 sensor harness and the computer

the leftover from the 1996 dash harness

going to take the weekend off there for my daughters 6th bday.... although I'm going to get prepped as possible, I'm not going to diasable the truck until after at least 10-10-15, race night 9-25 and a local fall color cruise oct 10...then we will see, id like to be able to drive it before winter make sure my speed control and air conditioning still work before winter, then if I need to debug at least id know and have time to find any errors while waiting for next spring

Attached Images Attached Images

You know the really cool thing is when you get done will be to take it to a stealership and have the service writer tell you this truck does not exist.Good luck

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99rtcc View Post
    You know the really cool thing is when you get done will be to take it to a stealership and have the service writer tell you this truck does not exist.Good luck
    according to the parts store guys my truck already doesn't exist... they say theres no such thing as a 6.7L, its either a 3.9 or 5.2 haha..... i argue every time theres a new guy but they don't get it

i don't go more than 150 miles from home so id pay a tow bill home before i let anyone else touch my truck lol, or id pay a service center full shop rate for them to let me work on my truck while they stand their and watch and let me borrow tools, if that didn't work id apply for a job and ask them to hire me for a day so I'm covered under insurance then let me pay full price for the repair and fix it myself... of course if i got hired id demand my paycheck at the end of the day and when they refused id tip over a trash can and do a burnout in the parking lot when i left, just like any other poor treated employee

Status

Ok so I pretty much took off the whole weekend... some missing circuits and unanswered questions, however, bothered me... so a spent a little time and found the answers to the missing questions so I could sleep tonight.. wiring diagrams for 1995 1996 5.2 3.9 dodge Dakota cruise control

battery sensor info, not sure how important the battery sensor really is, my 1995 didn't have one Its a pretty easy circuit to make either way... power from the pcm to the battery sensor and they to ground

as far as my cruise control goes, there was gonna be problems, there Is a different cruise switch for 1996 Dakotas...essentially since I'm using the 96 pcm and the pcm controls the cruise control the easiest way I can figure to make my cruise still work is to repin the clockspring connector to accept the 1996 switch and omit 1 wire from it... if the switch terminals aren't moved around there was be a hard short to ground that would melt my clockspring or blow the fuse...

1995 Dakota cruise control diagrams

1996 Dakota cruise control diagrams

also the o2 sensors since the obd2 system has 2 where the original only had 1, I have the harness from the donor vehicle which essentially was spliced into the obd1 harness in add-on type of fashion right from the factory, ill be wiring it into my harness the same way..

and finally my final itemized notes from to day--all circuits accounted for...I color coded the circuits as follows:
    green=good to go just connect the wires color for color
    orange: circuit not there and ok to omit without causing problems with other circuits
    pink: circuit not present but needing to be added, all have a solution of how to add written next to them

and finally the last of my notes, questions, mostly I have found the answers to them all..

hopefully tomorrow ill be able to get the rest of the wiring harness and then ill be able to proceed further, gotta be done for now, can only look at diagrams for a couple hours at a time before my eyes start bugging out.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Status

well here it is, less the pcm, the obd2 system for a 1996 Dakota..... I got the engine harness from the salvage yard today, they didn't have it lifted up but I don't need anything down to the transmission anyway so it was cut there... I cut it down to what I need and left quite a bit extra and labeled everything to help when I get back to it later.... plugged it into the DLC harness and O2 sensor harness for storage and to help keep it together...

Spare parts pile on the right, extracted obd2 system on left... I've got a spare connector for almost everything now too, planning for long haul

today I got shrink wrap and tape, ordered o2 sensors, ordered 1996 cruise switch and splice/crimp bands... essentially for now I'm going to take a break and double check my work and make sure my ducks are in a row, like I said I cant take down the truck until 10-10-15 anyway, planning on starting right after that though I think.. id like to make sure it runs and everything works before winter at least so If there is issues I can sort them out over winter and get it tuned right away in the spring... if I'm constricted for time I may just temporary install it with butt connectors to verify everything works as expected then final wire everything once Ive verified everything ok.... who knows maybe it wont be that bad and ill get it done and tuned yet this year, if winter holds out long enough for me and ryan has the time it could happen, either way ill update when more progress is made

Status

Do you have a OBD2 scanner yet? It will be invaluable for checking the wire loom when your ready, you need one that does live data, a ton of troubleshooting can be done without even starting the engine.
    G-Man

Status

I have a autel/maxidas ds708 that'll talk to just about any module on any car and I have access to drb3's also.... And who said I was going to make any mistakes anyway?? Lol jk I am pretty sure I already know which codes I'm gonna get....

Status

Your a brave man my friend.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Your a brave man my friend.
    60% of the time my crazy ideas work everytime

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast