+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warning for users playing MP3s off flash drives!

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Default Warning for users playing MP3s off flash drives!

My headunit has 2 USB cables that allows me to connect a flash drive to each and I use these for the purpose of storing music. My main flash drive is a 64GB PNY and the other is a 32GB Lexar. I bought both drives back in 2012, and since then they have lived in the glove compartment of a truck that spends its time in the hot Florida sun. A weakness of flash memory is with memory retention where the data can be lost especially if the memory is placed in extreme environmental conditions (like a 120º truck), and that is exactly what has been happening to the music on my less-used 32GB Lexar because more and more songs are producing a weird electronic squeal when played.

I just brought the drive into the house and found some interesting things. I am still able to freely move and use a corrupted file as if it were still a valid file, so I copied the MP3 to the harddrive, played it back, and the squealing remains (thereby proving the data within the file itself is corrupted). I verified that the original on my harddrive functions fine and that the two show the same properties (file size etc), but then out of curiousity I ran them through the DOS command FC and it found loads of differences between the two files. It's really crazy how this flash drive has become corrupted in such a way that the file table structure still functions fine and that the files are still technically valid files, but the data within the file is all screwed up.

I am still unsure if this is something that can be corrected by wiping the drive and storing fresh new information in the memory cells or if those memory cells are permanently damaged. I ran some Windows utilities designed for harddrives to see if they can find any drive errors, but none were found.

Status

Windows' utilities suck....get Hiren's Boot CD and use the utilities on there.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

+ Reply to Thread