+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Single Din Flip Outs

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Default Single Din Flip Outs

Anyone have pics or comments of single-din flip out stereo's installed on earlier 98-00 trucks? As much as I'd like to hack up my dash for a double-din (not), I'd like to find a flip out that's painless to install. Will the top of the screen clear the bezel on the dash? I don't care if it covers the vents, which I know it will, just as long as the unit will fit w/o hitting the dash is all I care about.

Thanks guys.
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

I am about to put in a Power Acoustik PD-454B - its not flip out but oversized single din with 4.5" screen.

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    I am about to put in a Power Acoustik PD-454B - its not flip out but oversized single din with 4.5" screen.
    Sweet find! Let me know how you like it, yea?
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Status

Try this, it drops down, leaves vents clear
    Boss BV8970 In-Dash 8" Touch Screen Monitor with DVD/CD/MP3 Discontinued, Might be hard to find

Boss BV8970B is a 7" monitor currently available

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Call me jaded, but I would not fear but would expect that mechanism that reveals the big screen to fail prematurely. With a big screen single din you'd have a smaller screen but at least you wouldn't have to wonder about mechanics that would fail 2 weeks out of warranty.

Also, a lot of headunits are designed to interact very well with smartphones, and I believe you can control the radios from the phone. Mount it to the day and voila! A big screen radio with no moving parts (except that you will find your headunit will be incompatible with the phone after an os update 18 months from now... )

Status

Good point Steve, I'll keep up my research. The boss unit I'm not so sure about, boss isn't really the "boss" when it comes to quality I'd want something a bit more high end.
    Anyone else have a flip up or know that it works/fits? I know that I'd like a screen for a backup camera, would come in handy when using the hitch.

Status

I have a flip screen in mine and tweets in the 2 center vents!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
    I have a flip screen in mine and tweets in the 2 center vents!
    Keep those tweeters cool! So a flip up fits in these trucks no problem then?

Status

No AC! Lol! But even when I did, they didn't get in the way, I thought I had pics, I'll take one tonight

I have a single din Ouku dvd/cd/mp3 with 7" touch screen. It comes comes with a back up camera and has an SD card slot good for 32GB and a USB. It was $135 on ebay. You can purchase the GPS antenna and module for navigation as well. The screen is down so the vents aren't blocked, but it the screen only tilts up to load or eject a cd/dvd.
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lonesoldier79 View Post
    I have a single din Ouku dvd/cd/mp3 with 7" touch screen. It comes comes with a back up camera and has an SD card slot good for 32GB and a USB. It was $135 on ebay. You can purchase the GPS antenna and module for navigation as well. The screen is down so the vents aren't blocked, but it the screen only tilts up to load or eject a cd/dvd.
    Never heard of that brand before, amazing how cheap some of these electronics are today considering the features they come packed with. You're happy with it? How long have you had it for and have you used the gps function?

Quote Originally Posted by JDreamR/T View Post
    Never heard of that brand before, amazing how cheap some of these electronics are today considering the features they come packed with. You're happy with it? How long have you had it for and have you used the gps function?
    I've had it for 3 years now and has worked great. I want to upgrade to their lates model that has 3G/wi-fi and android 4.0 OS. Ebay has it listed for $234 and it comes with the GPS maps already instslled. This model is Garmin map friendly and comes with the GPS receiver too.
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Status

Here's mine

Status

Alpine fit fine in my old 2000 I used to have. It had a lot of adjustments to tilt and move the screen in and out.

2012 Grand Cherokee Limited Wife's car - 4X4, Hemi
    2003 Dakota RT RC, Hughes intake and throttle body, D1SC Procharger, 5-speed
    2009 Challenger RT, 6-speed, sportlines, x-pipe, Dynatech mufflers.

OG DRTC

Status

I've got one of the 7" single dins that hangs down as well. Fits great. Mine has bluetooth, GPS, DVD,....Not Garmin maps, but the GPS works well. Only issue i Have had is it was listed as having subwoofer outputs, but it only has single channel RCA outs. And the Navigation voice causes all audio to stop working when it attmepts to cancel out the radio. Uses a SD card for map data so upgrading maps is simple.

I havent looked around for a replacement for a while, but I just found another brand Xtrons on ebay and theirs is using Android 4.1 OS and seems to be a better product. The screen is retractable and it opens in the up position. $340 with free shipping. It would be nice to have a stereo/android pad connected to the truck. I've always wanted to make a mobile windows based computer system with a touch screen dvd player. The moment I find a single din car stereo with a HDMI connection it's on. I'll install an acer net top under the drivers seat and run the HDMI to it. They come with 4 USB ports and two would be used for a wireless keyboard and the other for a mouse. I would use the 3rd to run a printer USB cable for when I have to work out of town and want to print construction drawings and the 4th would be for a wireless game controller. The latest net tops come with windows 8 soon to be windows 10 at the end of the month and it's touch compatible with a monitor. Imagine the psoibilities for a set up like that under $600! If you were SCT savvy you could litterally make a pass and revise your tune without having to use a seperate computer IE a laptop. Make a pass and revise your own tune before you ever get out of your vehicle. You could potentially do it touch screen, but my set up would have a wireless keyboard and mouse to boot to suit anyones ability. If I could somehow make an OBD2 to USB cable and a driver to communicate with SCT or HP tuner software good googley moogley the possibilities. Blu-ray dvd, WMA, MP4, HD radio, Garmin GPS maps, android 4.1 OS, windows 8 with touch screen and wireless accessories, Bluetooth connectivity, wireless gaming controller, and direct connect from the vehicle to data logging and tuning software. Not to mention it's all ordinary infotainment system with WiFi for what my estimated cost would be under 1k for all componenets.

The hard part would be convincing HP or SCT to help develope their software and engineer the OBD2 to USB driver and new windows programs.
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Status

I'm about to order this one
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...H-X7700BT.html
    As far as the mechanism failing that moves the screen a lot give the option of keeping the screen open all the time so it doesn't always open and close
    410, 10.3 comp pistons, P&P Eddies, 254 cam, 30lb injectors, sct tuner, 3800 viper stall, 4:56 yukon gears, hotchkis tvs, m1 4brrl, 58mm f&b tb, 1.7 rr, electric fan, jm longtube headers, B&M hammer shifter, Cope Racing Trans, Viper Brakes, SRT8 Seats, nx wet kit(100 shot)
    best time 11.32 @ 118 1.59 60' on spray(old motor). 11.76@115 n/a(new motor)
    DD 07 SRT8 Charger 12.55@112

Status

Not bad for a pioneer 50x4 ! As much as I drive my truck, my screen is always Down , it doesn't attract the cops as they drive by you, the only time it's up is when my nephew is with me or my daughter, they think it's cool!

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Be careful when making plans to use SD / flashdrive storage to play music because manufacturers back when I was searching for a radio really halfassed support. I tried out and bought a few devices and found all sorts of absurdity with support. They really are lazy and expect the user to use a smartpjone that will do all of the work. I had a Kenwood that was so problematic it rebooted during playback, and tech support at those places is worthless.

Status

I think the only thing that quit on mine was the Bluetooth

+ Reply to Thread