+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A little piece of DRTC history....

Default A little piece of DRTC history....

I was saving this for a future release date but here is what I have been doing since its all about me, maybe this will give me .01 credibility instead of zero

The story:

Most of you noobs wont even know who or what I am talking about but for the real OGs in this club here is a little piece of our history. Back in 1999 I was using ICQ (a messenger program) and found a guy named Jack Yates who had a 99 R/T. I spent hours/weeks on ICQ with him as well as on the phone. He would email me pics and basically talked me out of a lightning into an R/T. Over the years we became decent friends and Jack confided a lot of stuff in me just to talk to someone, he had some demons in life he could never shake. I used to go to Socal quite often and hung out with Jack at his house a number of times, he was just a cool cat.

That said, back in the early R/T days as the club was forming Jack had a site called blackdakrt.com - it was literally the only site back then showcasing a bunch of different R/T's as well as mods for them, sound clips, etc.....it was the go to site. I think every R/T guy on the net spent endless hours on his site looking at the same shit over and over and over again, just waiting for him to do an update !! It is also because of Jack Yates that you guys have hotchkis club cab kits, innovation tonneau covers, spintech exhaust. He was the first to use them all and really he set the bar for what we all consider the go to mods even 15 years later. He truly was the innovator of these trucks and also a founding member of the DRTC.

Recently on Facebook someone started a group for OG R/Ters - you have to be part of the original group to get in. Lots of pics have been posted of old meets, old faces, old trucks. It has truly been a nostalgic thing for us guys who have been here since the start. In the process of that group going off with tons of posts and trying to find all these old school guys I read that Jack Yates is dead. He died in June of 2012. I read this and my heart sank a little, he was only 37 years old. SO while I never had a chance to say "goodbye" I had been gathering stuff to preserve his site before I found out of his death. I decided to finish up the project and dedicate it to his memory. I would like to do a memorial wall on the home page of this site that honors fallen R/Ters over the years as well as capture all the history of the club and host it in one spot to never be lost again. For now here is a link to Jack's memorial site and I am donating all my hours on this to the club so we all have this media to look back on if you ever need a pick me up on a bad day and look back at the good ole days.

http://blackdakrt.dakotart.com/index2.html

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

37 ? Was he sick ? Far too young, that is a shame
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

He had health issues I know that ..... I dunno what exactly. Found at his parents house non responsive is all I know.

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

wow, just wow. I remember him, most OG for sure. RIP Jack
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

WhiteTrash&LiLOrangeFuror

Status

Need one for Joe John ad well.
    Fu·ror noun \ˈfyu̇r-ˌȯr, -ər\ : an angry or maniacal fit

O.G.D.R.T.C. #3

Status

Todd, you did an amazing job resurrecting Jack's site. He died 3 years ago today. A very fitting tribute.
    Lori

Status

Hi Lori, how have you been ?

Lurker

Status

Thanks for making this happen Todd!!

RIP Mr Yates!

Josh - 98 BLK RC - Mad Milkshake Maker
    Previous
    99 BLK RC - Mad Trash Hauler - sold
    99 DA RC - mad dak - Danno Stole it
    01 SLVR RC - mad sexy - retired - then died
    99 IB RC - mad RT - gone to heaven..

Former Certified member of the 11 Second NA RT Club

Status

Thanks for your hard work, what a shame to leave us at such a young age

Status

maybe we could find out what his illness was, take up a collection, and have the club make a donation to the proper charity.... in Jack's name ?

PS, I'd be happy to help however I can with this
    Last edited by Hugh Jassole; 06-25-2015 at 06:56 PM. Reason: more info

DRTC #149

Status

Great job Todd!

Hearing about Jack was like a blow to the gut to me too. I always liked Jack, and he was someone that everyone almost immediately liked. He was just THAT guy. The cool, laid back cat. Thanks to your work Todd, his contributions to this community will not be forgotten

As a side note, I wonder how many of us who are on that page still have our trucks? Not too many OG's, but even fewer that are still with it after 15+ years....

99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

[KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

DRTC #149

Status

Upon a quick scan, in order, Brian ( not on his original truck, but still has one ) Me, Todd, Hooper, and Damon B.

99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

[KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

Hey Todd,thanks fof this.Lot of names from the past on the sidebar.

I remember looking at this site years ago. I completely forgot about it.
    2003 Dakota R/T CC

Status

I remember seeing that site when I first bought my truck, thanks Todd!

Status

I know I am one of the new guys here, but I have to say that the way in which this forum and it's members honor their fallen and help each other is truly impressive and it shows the care involved. Over the past 20 years I have been a member of Corvette, S10, Camaro, and numerous other auto forums but this R/T forum has more class than the rest combined.

May Mr. Yates rest in peace knowing he is honored as a founding member and an influential person in all of this.

Status

Thanks Todd, truly fitting to have the site live on as part of the club. Many will remember their times researching and reading. I know I do. He did alot for the club many won't ever know.
    - Josh

2000 Solar Yellow R/T - Cam Only Truck
    1987 Buick Regal T-Type - WE4 and Blackout
    2008 GMC 1500 Quad Cab
    1989 Jeep YJ - Real Jeeps have Square Headlights
    1971 Buick Skylark - LS SWAP THE WORLD

O.G.D.R.T.C. #3

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jassole View Post
    maybe we could find out what his illness was, take up a collection, and have the club make a donation to the proper charity.... in Jack's name ?

PS, I'd be happy to help however I can with this
    In this case, it's probably better to just let him rest.
    told you.jpg
    Lori

Very well done Todd!!! I met him once. I do remember all the burping though I was #88, but now Corey has my truck. I'm still around though.

Oh and by the way, hi Lori!!!!!

DRTC #311

Status

Great Job. Thank you.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by mopargirl View Post
    In this case, it's probably better to just let him rest.
    told you.jpg
    Wow, member #3

Yep, Lori was there at the start. Nice lady!

+ Reply to Thread