+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: "Push it to the limit"

Black Pearl

Status

If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Status

Coming along pretty good boss

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Are you guys using a solid lifter when checking pushrod length? I don't have checker springs so the lifter is going to compress.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Black trucks only

Status

Very cool watching all your progress. Is that a dog or a cat on the chair behind you lol?
    1998 Dodge Dakota RC Black R/T 1 of 74

Status

here's a little time lapse from the block cleaning and cam install, Sorry I don't have any copyrighted music for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVw...ature=youtu.be

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Very cool watching all your progress. Is that a dog or a cat on the chair behind you lol?
    That's the stray cat which adopted us, and promoted itself to foreman, I refer to him as shit head

GPz550 Addict

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    here's a little time lapse from the block cleaning and cam install, Sorry I don't have any copyrighted music for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVw...ature=youtu.be
    No offense, but the theme from The Benny Hill Show should be playing. That cat is all over the place!

What's in the blue container/drums?
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    No offense, but the theme from The Benny Hill Show should be playing. That cat is all over the place!

What's in the blue container/drums?
    Talk about a missed opportunity that's just honey we still have on hand that we haven't sold yet.

Status

That's how Beagles are, in real time.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Are you guys using a solid lifter when checking pushrod length? I don't have checker springs so the lifter is going to compress.
    And some believe the valve train when checking rocker alignment be exactly what you were going to use anyway which includes the preload on the rocker. Some pushrod checkers will bend if not using weaker springs but you should get or make a lifter that will not compress.
    I have always been a proponent of doing things correctly with the proper tools. A degree wheel, EIGHT INCH dial caliper & adjustable pushrods should be just as normal as a 1/2" wrench in your toolbox.

I will say that a center swipe is not the end all alignment method . Many rely on this as a metric only to come up with a rocker operating in a wrong range of sweep. The ideal pushrod to me puts the rocker vertical over the valve. This swipe should be thinest when using a marker.

As long as this narrowest path is not too close to the edge, you are better off realizing that this path may or may not be "centered" at the valve tip which is perfectly fine.
    Last edited by arro222; 03-21-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Status

I forgot how shiny these valve covers used to be, probably going to get carried away and clean up the intake manifold and the timing cover too...

Status

Got my buddy to weld a -10AN fitting into my pan for the oil return. Life pro tip go buy a JIC 10 to NPT steel adapter at your local tractor/equipment supply and cut the npt threads off, it'll be half the price of a "racecar" weld on bung.

Status

FUUUUUUCK...update to come...

Status

Got the cam degreed and installed at 113.75 degrees, I'll call that 114 with margin of error. dissasembled a lifter and filled it fill of washers to make it solid and measured the pushrod length, came out to 6.950. the only issue is the wipe is only showing up on one half of the valve tip and isn't solid right across, anyone have any idea why?

Status

Now the shitty part. I got the flywheel installed and the pilot bushing pressed in. Next step was to test fit the transmission. I could get it about 1/2" away but then it wouldn't go any further, but I had a suspicion... I pulled out the transmission an put layout fluid on the input shaft tip,reinstalled the transmission and put 2 bolts in to try and pull it in. I got it until the bell was flush with the ends of the dowels but it was getting very tight, pulled it back apart... WHY ME, WHY ME? The input shaft is bottoming out against the pilot bushing, So just slide the bras insert farther back in right? That would be too easy, the spline teeth are contacting the still bushing in the back of the crank. So I'm going to have to pull apart the transmission and get the input shaft turned down. so it can slide in farther. Why can't something go smoothly for once?

I am not sure what part on the marker is the witness mark of the rocker tip. Color the entire tip of the valve on the set you're checking. Be sure the cycle is on the base circle of the cam. When you replace the rocker and roll the rocker tip onto the valve, you should be seeing a thin witness mark. Correct pushrod length will show the swipe on the inboard third of the valve-stem tip measuring from the center of the valve tip or 2/3rds up measuring from the stem radius. If the swipe is too close to the intake manifold side of the valve-stem tip, the pushrod is too short. The pushrod is too long if the swipe appears in the middle or nearer the exhaust side.
    If I knew how the hell to draw on here, I could show you exactly where the mark should be as we're talking hundreds of an inch longer or shorter on the pushrod to get it where it should be.

Easy to work on with the engine out isn’t it. Good luck with your pushrod and rocker geometry.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    I am not sure what part on the marker is the witness mark of the rocker tip. Color the entire tip of the valve on the set you're checking. Be sure the cycle is on the base circle of the cam. When you replace the rocker and roll the rocker tip onto the valve, you should be seeing a thin witness mark. Correct pushrod length will show the swipe on the inboard third of the valve-stem tip measuring from the center of the valve tip or 2/3rds up measuring from the stem radius. If the swipe is too close to the intake manifold side of the valve-stem tip, the pushrod is too short. The pushrod is too long if the swipe appears in the middle or nearer the exhaust side.
    If I knew how the hell to draw on here, I could show you exactly where the mark should be as we're talking hundreds of an inch longer or shorter on the pushrod to get it where it should be.
    It's center of the black marker, I determined the length already and I have a good sweep, but the problem I'm having is the rocker isn't contacting the valve tip evenly it's only loading around 1/3 of the stem, that's what concerns me

It's center of the black marker, I determined the length already and I have a good sweep, but the problem I'm having is the rocker isn't contacting the valve tip evenly it's only loading around 1/3 of the stem, that's what concerns me

All of them or just that one?

Is the inside curve of the rocker clearing the spring retainer or are they already machined for clearance?

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

Status

Old valves?
    I had a problem with mine, my head guy installed my new valves with lash caps...Valve tips can take a beating with loose/incorrect lash.
    11.27 @ 118.23

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Old valves?
    I had a problem with mine, my head guy installed my new valves with lash caps...Valve tips can take a beating with loose/incorrect lash.
    I don't know they look nice with even wear when from the previous owner, I was reading up the stud might not be straight, might have to loosen it an move the guide plate.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggsy72 View Post
    All of them or just that one?

Is the inside curve of the rocker clearing the spring retainer or are they already machined for clearance?
    rockers clear fine, I haven't checked any others so I can't say for certian

Home School Valedictorian

Status

It is hard to tell for certain from the picture, it looks like the valve tip is in very good condition.
    Is the roller tip at a 90º angle to the valve tip?
    What does the contact area look like at the adjacent valve?
    I would verify the guide plate isn't causing the issue, if not try different rocker arm(s) and/or rocker arm stud(s).

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

The studs on Eddy Heads are at different angles, as are the valves, shitty machine work. It all becomes apparent when you bolt on stud girdles, it changes your lash big time, probably the best reason to run stud girdles, they straighten the rocker studs up.
    So glad I'm done with the stud mounted rocker crap now.
    11.27 @ 118.23

You mean side to side as if the roller tip is not making full contact on the stem as if something is tilted? Then yes, check stud alignment, Let me ask a simpler question as your mark on the valve tip doesn't look like what I think you should be seeing.
    When you color the entire valve tip and replace the rocker and then with your finger roll the roller tip on the rocker onto the valve stem tip, you should be getting a pencil thin line showing on the valve tip. Where this line is determines proper pushrod length and it's not on the center necessarily.
    Also, the configuration of rocker to valve stem should be as close to 90* as possible and this is tough to measure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast