+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: "Push it to the limit"

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    The studs on Eddy Heads are at different angles, as are the valves, shitty machine work. It all becomes apparent when you bolt on stud girdles, it changes your lash big time, probably the best reason to run stud girdles, they straighten the rocker studs up.
    So glad I'm done with the stud mounted rocker crap now.
    That makes alot more sense.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    You mean side to side as if the roller tip is not making full contact on the stem as if something is tilted? Then yes, check stud alignment, Let me ask a simpler question as your mark on the valve tip doesn't look like what I think you should be seeing.
    When you color the entire valve tip and replace the rocker and then with your finger roll the roller tip on the rocker onto the valve stem tip, you should be getting a pencil thin line showing on the valve tip. Where this line is determines proper pushrod length and it's not on the center necessarily.
    Also, the configuration of rocker to valve stem should be as close to 90* as possible and this is tough to measure.
    The width of the stripe is different per application some have wide ones, some have narrow.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    It is hard to tell for certain from the picture, it looks like the valve tip is in very good condition.
    Is the roller tip at a 90º angle to the valve tip?
    What does the contact area look like at the adjacent valve?
    I would verify the guide plate isn't causing the issue, if not try different rocker arm(s) and/or rocker arm stud(s).
    exactly, I think it's like Dave suggested, shitty machining on edelbrock's side.

Shitty drawing but you get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Status

A bad valve job will make your life miserable, lay a straight edge across the top of your valve stems, I'll bet they are off, should be dead nuts even.
    Mine were horrible. Were being the key word.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

A bad valve job will make your life miserable, lay a straight edge across the top of your valve stems, I'll bet they are off, should be dead nuts even.
    Mine were horrible. Were being the key word.

This is why no head is a bolt on from the box. People have done it and I suppose some have dodged a bullet but some have seized an engine as well and then scratch their heads as to why since they've bought their heads from a reputable company. These heads are massed produced and machine tool set ups and even castings can get really screwed up producing head after head.

I know my way around engines (well ,I thought I did before this computer crap) but some stuff will never change. If one doesn't know what to look for, a local machine shop to re-check measurements no matter what the reputation of the initial producer can be a wise move. Plus, if something is off, it can be remedied right there.
    Last edited by arro222; 03-28-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    The width of the stripe is different per application some have wide ones, some have narrow.

How is this? I mean the roller tip has a very small radius. I'm not sure what constitutes "wide" in your description but this stuff is measured in hundreds of an inch. None the less, when the entire reciprocal movement of the valve train is considered, even a slight differential at the push rod can translate into as much as a 10 degree difference when the entire swing is considered. Could make a cam smaller than what was originally bought.

Status

Eddy heads need to be checked over by a competent head guy, they are pretty sloppy out of the box, all heads are.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Eddy heads need to be checked over by a competent head guy, they are pretty sloppy out of the box, all heads are.
    This is true with every head from the factory. My machinist checks every head (complete or not) and always finds issues caused by worn out factory tools and just sloppy workmanship. Edelbrock is at the top of the group.

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

Status

I'll check the valves here when I get a chance, I don't think they're the issue, the wear marks are nice and even, plus those heads have been worked over upgraded guides, valves, springs, and retainers.

Status

Got the input shaft shortened on the transmission, bolted up to the motor, it's close but it fits. Waiting on my Trickflow pushrods to show up and the motor will pretty much be done. Suspension and fuel system next.

Black Pearl

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    Waiting on my Trickflow pushrods to show up and the motor will pretty much be done.
    Looking good
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Status

got the new clutch in, and torqued down the pressure plate to 45 ftlbs, used a dab of blue locktite to make sure the bolts don't back out. Have an issue with the throwout bearing being too long, going to need to space the trans away from the bell housing so everything will clear.

Looking good Osee

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7