+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spintech Mids/Exhaust Questions

DAKRT56

Status

Question Spintech Mids/Exhaust Questions

I just ordered Spintech mids & exhaust through Hipotek last week and I started wondering about a couple things after the fact.

Are they going to come with all the fasteners I need for the port plates, headers, and flanges or are those something I'm going to have to source on my own? If so, what are some decent ones people have had good luck with?

Also, I have a set of Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal gaskets that I think I'm going to try between the headers and port plates, and I'm probably going to try the Copper Permatex I have between the port plates and the heads. Or, are both of those a terrible idea? I assume if I end up buying Remflex gaskets that I want the p/n 6004?

Lastly, it sounds like I may have to grind down the passenger side upper control arm? Are there any pics floating around of exactly what needs to be ground down?

I'm just trying to get all of this stuff sorted out so that when I get the Spintechs, I won't be dicking around and figuring out/ordering this stuff last minute.

Steve - 1999 Flame Red RC R/T-56
    Comp Cams | F&B | Mopar | Spintech | SCT | Hotchkis

You will need to supply the header port plate bolts, but it will come with hardware for the rest of the exhaust. When I ordered my exhaust from Richard last year all I needed was port plate bolts.
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

DAKRT56

Status

Roger that.

Anyone know if either of these ARP kits would work? I don't know how thick those port plates are. I'd hate to buy these and find out the heads are too tall on em or something stupid.

http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/444-1102/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/444-1202/10002/-1

DAKRT56

Status

Bump

I'd check mine if I had the truck here with me. Sorry I can't help at the moment.
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Status

Use Remflex gaskets! They make gaskets for the port plates and the Spintechs. IIRC they come with all the hardware minus gaskets. I have Spintech long tubes but I forget what they came with.

BLACK '02 RC R/T (BLACK N BITTER) 12.5 @ 109 mph. Under the knife again.
    '99 IB RC R/T (Sabrina's truck) 13.8 @ 96 mph SOLD!
    '10 B5 blue pearl Challenger R/T Classic edition. Totaled!!! FML!!!
    '98 CC R/T Bought wrecked. Restoring it.
    '05 WRANGLER (DD)
    '05 HARLEY FXDCI

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by chrgr340 View Post
    I just ordered Spintech mids & exhaust through Hipotek last week and I started wondering about a couple things after the fact.

Are they going to come with all the fasteners I need for the port plates, headers, and flanges or are those something I'm going to have to source on my own? If so, what are some decent ones people have had good luck with?

Also, I have a set of Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal gaskets that I think I'm going to try between the headers and port plates, and I'm probably going to try the Copper Permatex I have between the port plates and the heads. Or, are both of those a terrible idea? I assume if I end up buying Remflex gaskets that I want the p/n 6004?

Lastly, it sounds like I may have to grind down the passenger side upper control arm? Are there any pics floating around of exactly what needs to be ground down?

I'm just trying to get all of this stuff sorted out so that when I get the Spintechs, I won't be dicking around and figuring out/ordering this stuff last minute.
    My fault.....I just now seen this thread, and we all know how I love pictures right????
    Here is how my long tubes shipped from Spintech. I was amazed that they included EVERTHING for the job EXCEPT a CUTTING TORCH.
    So to answer you questions...they came with the header bolts, port plates, collector gaskets, and header gaskets......oh and stickers for speed.

Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Red trucks are faster

Status

Also consider buying these too. They are ONE piece port plates made of steel and not aluminum. They make the job easier and they will not strip out as easily. The Spintech port plates are a three piece design and not as easy to install and align the bolt holes.
    You need to contact UNKNOWN_ELEMENT to get these....more pics.

20141220_021335.jpg

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    Also consider buying these too. They are ONE piece port plates made of steel and not aluminum. They make the job easier and they will not strip out as easily. The Spintech port plates are a three piece design and not as easy to install and align the bolt holes.

20141220_021335.jpg

Hey!! Mine didn't come with any of that UV blue stuff,or is that a good thing!? Lol

Red trucks are faster

Status

The UV is optional...not bad straight up ice cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post

20141220_021335.jpg

Sooooo, how much for this set? lol
    - 99' Dodge Dakota R/T CC -
    - 1 of 4 R/T Moon roof trucks; that I've seen anyway. -
    - Stock Bed, Stock Tailgate. Coming soon...

- #1253 -

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MOPARS&FiREARMS_66 View Post
    Sooooo, how much for this set? lol
    I think I paid $140 shipped.

DAKRT56

Status

So do people ever take the headers off to re-torque the port plates or is that not as necessary when you use Remflex gaskets? I'll be honest, I didn't take everyone's advice and used Mr. Gasket Ultra Seals between the plates and heads, and the supplied Cometics between the plates and headers. The Ultra Seals are a graphite gasket with a steel core and my dad has always had good luck with them in his racecars so I figured I might too. The Cometics actually seem to have sealed, and the Mr. Gaskets didn't leak at first, but they are now.

At this point, I'm just debating if I should buy the Remflexs for between the headers and plates and take my chances just re-torquing the plates, or just go all out now and get both sets of Remflex.

I WILL probably be pulling the whole engine this coming winter and going through the heads, so it will just kind of suck to end up having to buy two full sets of Remflex.

So do people ever take the headers off to re-torque the port plates or is that not as necessary when you use Remflex gaskets? I'll be honest, I didn't take everyone's advice and used Mr. Gasket Ultra Seals between the plates and heads, and the supplied Cometics between the plates and headers. The Ultra Seals are a graphite gasket with a steel core and my dad has always had good luck with them in his racecars so I figured I might too. The Cometics actually seem to have sealed, and the Mr. Gaskets didn't leak at first, but they are now.

At this point, I'm just debating if I should buy the Remflexs for between the headers and plates and take my chances just re-torquing the plates, or just go all out now and get both sets of Remflex.

I WILL probably be pulling the whole engine this coming winter and going through the heads, so it will just kind of suck to end up having to buy two full sets of Remflex.
    Lmk if ya ever sell the truck, no bullshit
    - 99' Dodge Dakota R/T CC -
    - 1 of 4 R/T Moon roof trucks; that I've seen anyway. -
    - Stock Bed, Stock Tailgate. Coming soon...

- #1253 -

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ironsport1000 View Post
    Use Remflex gaskets! They make gaskets for the port plates and the Spintechs.
    You're welcome....lol.

Get both sets of Remflex gaskets - the ones for between the heads and plates, and between the plates and header flange. TORQUE to REMFLEX SPEC, and you'll be golden. Also, it's been a while, but IIRC you will need to use 1" long bolts to mount the headers to the port plates. This is to compensate for the thicker gaskets (only applicable if your kit came with 3/4" bolts.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

DAKRT56

Status

Quote Originally Posted by KicknAsphlt View Post
    Get both sets of Remflex gaskets - the ones for between the heads and plates, and between the plates and header flange. TORQUE to REMFLEX SPEC, and you'll be golden. Also, it's been a while, but IIRC you will need to use 1" long bolts to mount the headers to the port plates. This is to compensate for the thicker gaskets (only applicable if your kit came with 3/4" bolts.
    These bolts are 5/16"-18 right? Mine came with 7/8" bolts but I'll probably just pick up some 1" ones anyway.

Status

These bolts are 5/16"-18 right? Mine came with 7/8" bolts but I'll probably just pick up some 1" ones anyway.
    Yes, 5/16-18 is the size/thread pitch. I'd go with the 1" bolts...you could probably get away with the 7/8" length, but bolts are cheap....and you can always use an extra 1/8"....

Just for reference, originally the spintechs came with 3/4" length bolts. Barely long enough with cometics, let alone the thicker Remflex gaskets and stripped out my port plates.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by KicknAsphlt View Post
    Yes, 5/16-18 is the size/thread pitch. I'd go with the 1" bolts...you could probably get away with the 7/8" length, but bolts are cheap....and you can always use an extra 1/8"....

Just for reference, originally the spintechs came with 3/4" length bolts. Barely long enough with cometics, let alone the thicker Remflex gaskets and stripped out my port plates.
    But if you go too long then they will bottom out against the head and you will never get the header tight and you could warp both the header and the port plate

Bolt length on these has to be spot on..... FWIW.

99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

[KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    But if you go too long then they will bottom out against the head and you will never get the header tight and you could warp both the header and the port plate

Bolt length on these has to be spot on..... FWIW.
    This right here is one of the major points to getting the spintechs sealed AND not ruin the port plates in the process. This step & tightening the port plates properly are the 2 most crucial things to a good install. FWIW, I've had the same set of spintech aluminum plates on my truck for 12+ years. Never had an issue with leaks or stripped threads. Not once. They've been on & off more times than I care to remember too.
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jassole View Post
    This right here is one of the major points to getting the spintechs sealed AND not ruin the port plates in the process. This step & tightening the port plates properly are the 2 most crucial things to a good install. FWIW, I've had the same set of spintech aluminum plates on my truck for 12+ years. Never had an issue with leaks or stripped threads. Not once. They've been on & off more times than I care to remember too.
    Bingo,

I have had multiple sets on 4 different trucks and never had one issue with a plate or sealing. And like Don, I can say that I have had them on and off more times than I care to count... especially spread out amongst all 4 trucks!

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

"Bleach Master"

Status

I can't run the gaskets between the port plates and heads as my port plates were ported to match the exhaust ports on my heads. So I just use ultra copper rtv on the plates to the heads and tighten them till they squeek.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    I can't run the gaskets between the port plates and heads as my port plates were ported to match the exhaust ports on my heads. So I just use ultra copper rtv on the plates to the heads and tighten them till they squeek.
    You just like sticking your finger in the port and smearing that RTV around don't you.....

Status

You just like sticking your finger in the port and smearing that RTV around don't you.....
    Just like with peanut butter.
    2004 SRT4 Moar Pah Coming DD
    2002 Dakota R/T 12.376@110.84

"Is there any way to make this easier? I'm way confused now. I just tried to post a video, but instead I got my dick caught in the ceiling fan" Wyotech_Cuda440

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Broo42 View Post
    Just like with peanut butter.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

gen III traitor

Status

Use copper rtv. Tighten just enough till they rtv starts to spread out the sides. Let set over night and then tighten completely. Never had a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast