+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need to replace all the speakers in my 99

DRTC #311

Status

Default Need to replace all the speakers in my 99

My stereo is 100% stock and I'm looking to replace my door and club cab speakers. It has been about 15 years since I've paid any attention to what's on the market and I don't want to go all-out crazy with all the latest gadget$, and I haven't kept track of which brands used to be good, and which ones are better now that used to be crappy, etc…

I'm looking for suggestions for the four 6.5" speakers, and an amplifier for them. 2 or 3 way speakers? I don't have the infinity system. should i add a 2 or 4 channel amp? I have my interior out so I can run new wires however I want.

I prefer to listen to VorSpin-tech sing duets together, or I listen to AM talk radio. My wife likes to turn on music, and she listens to a lot of Dave Matthews. I guess what I'm saying here is I don't need anything fancy, but I want decent stuff that we can turn up and not distort. I'll add subs and a new head unit in a few years but I'd like to get the door/cab speakers/amp figured out soon while I have it all apart.

Status

Your description sounds a lot like me, Pete. My r/t didn't come with the Infinity system either. Needless to say it was quite anemic! LOL I bought a JVC kameleon and Polk audio & Sony explode speakers at the time (13-14yrs ago). It sounds OK-good, but still lacks in the horse power dept. if ya know what I mean. I'll be watching to see what kind of info you get.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

This might be to gadgetty, but since your truck is a cc and gutted I'd recommend an mtx Thunderform enclosure for a pair of 10" subs. You won't blast any ghettos with them but they get plenty loud and the interior will remain virtually stock. Bass improves the quality of all sound sources. I listen to a lot of am radio and even that low-res audio sound better though a system.

Also, Crutchfield sends out these magazine/catalogs periodically (who does THAT anymore?) And they have recently been highlighting tiny amps. I have a Rockford Fossgate for my regular speakers that is very small and easily fits under my non-electric seat, but some of these things are smaller than it. One is even little more than a module that connects to the back of a Sony head unit. My subs are powered by another amp i s given for free years ago.

With the truck gutted it would be so easy to do anything: really the only limiting factor would be money.

DRTC #311

Status

I will certainly get a thunder form in the future. it's a cost thing for now. I need to get my truck road worthy asap. fun stuff will come later.

my budget for the door speakers and amp? i don't know- but i'd be comfortable with $3-350? That's 50 per speaker and 150 for an amp. sounds reasonable i guess?

i've got a ton of room under my new srt-4 seats to mount an amp sized as i remember they used to, but i'll check out crutch field for those little ones.

DRTC #311

Status

i need to budget for some sound deadener too. i really don't want to do it- i sort of like my truck being obnoxiously loud but i don't want to regret not doing it later.

Status

Give us a call we can help you out DC Autotronics 760 715 2404
    Attached Images Attached Images

Status

I replaced all of the speakers in my club cab last year. Had always been a fan of Kicker, but was looking to see what else was out there.
    I was introduced to speakers made by a company from Israel, called Morel.
    I ended up buying their Tempo series for my truck and I'm extremely impressed with the sound quality.
    I bought the 6.5" component speakers for the front doors and the 6.5" co-axial for the rear.
    I have never purchased co-axial speakers that came with a separate crossover, but these did.
    As I said above, they sound awesome.
    Google them and you will find some suppliers in the US.
    They are priced pretty reasonable also.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

Enough Show, Need More Go

Status

Kicker or JL
    1998 Silver RC SLT - Hughes 2.02 Heads, Mopar M1 4bbl Intake, Mopar 4bbl TB, 230/236 .515/.515 on a 110, 1.6 Roller Rockers, 4.10's, Spintech Headers, 3" Duals, X Pipe, Chambered Mufflers, 4/4 Drop, 727 Full Manual w/Transbrake, PTC 4500 Stall

12.90 at 104mph

GPz550 Addict

Status

Updating the stereo head unit and speakers. Crutchfield has a bunch of replacement head units, and direct fit speaker packages. My truck came with upgraded infinity speakers only with the stock amp, and stock head unit. I'll eventually get the 2x10 rear enclosure. You could even buy an empty enclosure, and fill it with your own speakers and amp. Many choices here.
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

whatever you choose, make sure you match the impedance. If you have the regular radio, you need 4 ohm speakers. If you have the infinity system, you need 2 ohm speakers.
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Steve '02CC View Post
    This might be to gadgetty, but since your truck is a cc and gutted I'd recommend an mtx Thunderform enclosure for a pair of 10" subs. You won't blast any ghettos with them but they get plenty loud and the interior will remain virtually stock. Bass improves the quality of all sound sources. I listen to a lot of am radio and even that low-res audio sound better though a system.

Also, Crutchfield sends out these magazine/catalogs periodically (who does THAT anymore?) And they have recently been highlighting tiny amps. I have a Rockford Fossgate for my regular speakers that is very small and easily fits under my non-electric seat, but some of these things are smaller than it. One is even little more than a module that connects to the back of a Sony head unit. My subs are powered by another amp i s given for free years ago.

With the truck gutted it would be so easy to do anything: really the only limiting factor would be money.
    X2 on the thunderform, I bought mine almost 10 years ago on ebay for $65 delivered without speakers. I think it was second hand. It sounds great except at very high volume levels it starts to vibrate stuff and sound like crap. I think I just need some sound deadner back there.

Status

Oh and if you get the thunderform, get a 5 channel amp especially if you have a power drivers seat, I have the power driver seat and cant fit anything under it but the passenger side is not power and fits a good size amp under it otherwise you'll have to find another place to put your second amp.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I eliminated all of my Infinity, replaced with all Alpine, very happy with the results for the money spent.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

http://www.cadencesound.com/cwm6kit/

Best speakers I have ever heard in our trucks!!!

I have 3 pairs of them in my Garage. 1 pair Waiting to go in my Dak. 2 as spares for another vehicle in the future.

Cadence doesn't make them any more. BUT on occasion in the past they have made small runs of them due to the high demand/request. I paid close to $200 for the first set I had in 2000. Aboout 2 yrs ago I picked up 4 more sets for about $100 each set. I used 2 pair in the Ram 3500 I had.

Only complaints I have ever seen posted on them was that the tweeter wasn't as good as you would expect compared to the Mid Range and that youd have a Much better set with other suggested Tweeters in their place.
    Tha DakFink: 1999 Solar Yellow R/Three 468cui, W9-RP heads, Twin 76mm Turbos, Powerglide Trans. , Bob's Fab Shop 25.3 SFI Chassis for 10.5W racing .
    (Still in the Fab Shop)

Hot rodder rule of thumb....every $1 invested in head flow is roughly worth $3 in the short block

DRTC #311

Status

Well, I went the opposite direction and just bought a radio delete panel LOL

---Under Construction---

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Pete102580 View Post
    Well, I went the opposite direction and just bought a radio delete panel LOL
    Lmao, cmon pete

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

Bearded Bastard

Status

After a little bit of looking here are a couple options

http://www.woofersetc.com/c-172-spea...-speakers.html

or

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...ga_HED365.aspx

I know Cerwin Vega used to make decent audio stuff but they fell off a number of years ago. Both those speakers are pretty close in specs. If you can spare some cash...

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...ty_6502ix.aspx

Ive run Infinity products for a long time (Especially considering they are a product of Harmon audio now). While the reference series isnt the greatest its not terrible.

All of these can be run with out an amp on either the factory head unit or an aftermarket unit.

Ive ordered from both of those websites and Ive never had any issues.

US Army Vet and ASE Certified Automotive Technician

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave the world wondering how you did it!

Status

I listen to a lot of Dave Matthews myself. Several years ago I spent a small fortune and bought focal speakers. I use an alpine amp to power them. They are amazing if you don't mind spending the cash. I could never afford them now, but back in the day when I had money I splurged, LOL

Status

With 4 ohm 6.5 speekers I'd go with the 4 ch. Amp for sure. More power than stock but not boom boom!
    My truck had the infinity sound option. But the 2 ohm speakers were blown and the best buy guys said that 4 ohm speakers would work fine. Because the 2 ohm speakers were so expensive to use 4ohm. Totally Not true. Only 1/2 the power. For the price just bypass stock amp.
    So i put in a sony 4 ch amp & 4 sony 6.5 speekers cost $300 canadian. & you can add a amp later if you want boom boom.
    all in all it sounds better than before. Not bad for a cheep setup.

DRTC #311

Status

This radio-delete panel is out of a Neon. Bolts right up and provides a very nice place to hang my GPS. Was a lot cheaper than a bunch of amps and speakers too!

Now I have no radio, no heat, no a/c, no cruise control, no power locks or windows. Just quickness.

Status

A Tin Can is in your future.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

DRTC #311

Status

LOL dave i don't think I'll ever get that deep. Maybe if I lived closer to a track, but this thing is just purely street fun. Fun fact I learned: 13 year old goodyears get me sideways quick! gotta fix that before I turn into a mustang.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRT View Post
    LOL dave i don't think I'll ever get that deep. Maybe if I lived closer to a track, but this thing is just purely street fun. Fun fact I learned: 13 year old goodyears get me sideways quick! gotta fix that before I turn into a mustang.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Where do the thunderform enclosures go.

Under the rear seat.

+ Reply to Thread