+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chrysler was right! Don't tow heavy

Status

Default Chrysler was right! Don't tow heavy

I've towed with my '98 from '98 to 2011. Bought a F-150 for the towing in 2011. I towed my Amphicar last week to a Swim-In because it had bad rear axle bearings. However it could still swim. No problem going to the lake. Got to the parking lot for diner when the frame gave away & the hitch fell to the ground. The frame closest to the rear of the truck broke taking the hitch with it. The other two bolts held up the hitch but the frame bent there too. Got the truck home okay. The trailer & Amphicar spent the night at a friends house. Got the truck up on my neighbors lift where we found that the frame was cracked on both sides. It must have been cracked for years. We cleaned up the two frame pieces & the frame & welded the two pieces back in. Welded a piece of 2" angle iron on each side. When the frame broke the weight of the trailer pushed the hitch down to the ground. That cause the frame to buckle where the hitch is bolted to the frame. We straightened that part of the frame & welded another piece of 2" angle iron. I'm glad I was in a parking lot & not on the highway. Now I think the truck can tow again. If you tow I would check out the frame & hitch. Just to be sure Ray '98 Red Club Cab

Wow! Sounds like you might want to box or put a fish plate on the section of repaired frame as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rayhandloser View Post
    I've towed with my '98 from '98 to 2011. Bought a F-150 for the towing in 2011. I towed my Amphicar last week to a Swim-In because it had bad rear axle bearings. However it could still swim. No problem going to the lake. Got to the parking lot for diner when the frame gave away & the hitch fell to the ground. The frame closest to the rear of the truck broke taking the hitch with it. The other two bolts held up the hitch but the frame bent there too. Got the truck home okay. The trailer & Amphicar spent the night at a friends house. Got the truck up on my neighbors lift where we found that the frame was cracked on both sides. It must have been cracked for years. We cleaned up the two frame pieces & the frame & welded the two pieces back in. Welded a piece of 2" angle iron on each side. When the frame broke the weight of the trailer pushed the hitch down to the ground. That cause the frame to buckle where the hitch is bolted to the frame. We straightened that part of the frame & welded another piece of 2" angle iron. I'm glad I was in a parking lot & not on the highway. Now I think the truck can tow again. If you tow I would check out the frame & hitch. Just to be sure Ray '98 Red Club Cab
    Dang Ray, Rick told me what happened glad you got it fixed and no one got hurt.
    When you heading back to MI?
    Rob Dunn
    2000 CC RT 408 With 150 Nitrous
    1976 Panther Pink Dodge Dart LA 360
    20013 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi
    2009 Jeep Patroit

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I'm confused, the frame cracked on which truck?

I am assuming from the description it was the Ford...

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Black Pearl

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    I'm confused, the frame cracked on which truck? I am assuming from the description it was the Ford...
    Me too. But whichever truck broke, was it due to salt rot or loose/cheap mounting bolts?
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

OG DRTC

Status

Did you happen to take any pics?

Status

The hitch was on the R/T. It was only driven in four winters & was never put away dirty. Rob I heard that your folks are in the villages. Not to far from me. Be home middle to late May. Ray

Ray,
    Yeah they are in the villages, I plan on going down there some time this winter.
    We will have to get together at a cruise night and catch up.
    Rob Dunn
    2009 Jeep Patroit

Status

Quote Originally Posted by blk00rt View Post
    Ray,
    Yeah they are in the villages, I plan on going down there some time this winter.
    We will have to get together at a cruise night and catch up.
    Count me in to hang out with you two geezers.
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

Status

Rob, Winters over! You better hurry! Hey Flying Ryan thinks you're an old guy. That's FUNNY! Ray

Ray,
    Sorry I was referring to the next winter. I am think we are going to try around christmas time
    Rob Dunn
    2009 Jeep Patroit

Quote Originally Posted by blk00rt View Post
    Ray,
    Sorry I was referring to the next winter. I am think we are going to try around christmas time
    You just want to catch Ray in his Santa suit

99 BK RC R/T
    99 SY RC R/T
    98 IB RC R/T

Rick,
    I think that would tramatize Robbie for sure.
    Rob Dunn
    2009 Jeep Patroit

+ Reply to Thread