+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thermostat

Default Thermostat

I went thermostat hunting today. Got a Mr. Gasket part #4363 160 degree and a Murray Ultra part #15358 180 degree. I'd prefer to use the 160 but not sure if it will fit. It's for a Chevy Ford and AMC but it looks like it will fit. Can I run a 160 in my RT Dakota? Or do I have to use the 180 Murray? Can anyone tell me if the Mr. Gasket will work or fit and if I can use it? If I have to I'll use the 180 Murray. I bought both at O' Riellys. I also bought two new 3 yr rotors and life time disk pads at autozone. Thanks in advance

Red trucks are faster

Status

The problem that I had with a 160 degree thermostat is that the motor never got up to "acceptable" operating tempature. This caused the CEL to come on and set trouble codes that basically said that the engine was not up to operating temp. 180-170 degrees is about as cold as you can get away with.
    Run the 180 and return the 160 .........the end.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Thanks Motorhead, I'll take your advice. Mine must have the stock 192 according to my gauges. I don't have a/c so I'm trying to prepare for the summer heat and ambient temps ahead of time. That includes an aluminum tranmission pan, heat sheilds and anything I can dream up to try and keep my engine bay, floor board and cab the coolest. I'm going to do the pads, rotors and tstat tomorrow morning after I get off work. Been working nights from 9pm to 11am to feed this thing, lol. This morning I worked past noon went to the parts store and came home and crashed. Woke up to check this an now I'm going back to bed. Gotta work while the work is good, Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread