+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Driveline questions

Default Driveline questions

I have a 99 CC with one piece aluminum drive shaft. Build date 2/99. Current mileage 115,000.

First, why is the driveline wrapped? What is it wrapped with?

Mine shakes at speeds above 83 MPH and gets worse the faster I go. I checked the U joints, they seem fine, not loose.

The reason for my concern is: I had a 97 5.2L truck before that the driveline was not indexed correctly and was replaced under warranty
    Is there anyone else who has had a problem like this?

I'm looking for a local shop here in Bakersfield, Ca that can check it out. I like to drive fast on the back roads, and 85 MPH isn't fast enough. LOL

Robert
    Robert
    99 Flame Red CC R/T
    Bakersfield, Ca

Status
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dakcub View Post
    I have a 99 CC with one piece aluminum drive shaft. Build date 2/99. Current mileage 115,000.

First, why is the driveline wrapped? What is it wrapped with?

Mine shakes at speeds above 83 MPH and gets worse the faster I go. I checked the U joints, they seem fine, not loose.

The reason for my concern is: I had a 97 5.2L truck before that the driveline was not indexed correctly and was replaced under warranty
    Is there anyone else who has had a problem like this?

I'm looking for a local shop here in Bakersfield, Ca that can check it out. I like to drive fast on the back roads, and 85 MPH isn't fast enough. LOL

Robert
    The driveshaft is wrapped in plastic to reduce or dampen driveline noise I have an uncovered aluminum shift in my 99 regular cab it rings like a bell when dropped into reverse.

As for the vibration just because a U joint is not a loose does not mean that it cannot be bad they can rust and bind up not moving freely would cause vibration I would at least replace the you joints also look to see if your driveshaft may have lost a balancing weight you should see a witness mark where that weight may have been attached if you find a good driveline shop they should be able to service the driveshaft and check it if it is out of balance.

00 FR RC Dakota R/T Turbo 11.56@118

99 Amethyst RC Dakota R/T 1-170 13.84@98

P.I.E. tuned cause Flynn is for the Birds if you wanna Run Fast have some PIE !

Just call me George W

Red trucks are faster

Status

I agree....shops can even balance a stock driveshaft if needed.

Something else to consider is the transmission and most importantly your tires.
    Cheap tires with low speed ratings (H) are suspect........Hankook would be one of those.
    Get your wheels balanced and note the amount of weights needed and if any wheels are bent.
    Excessive transmission wear can contribute to vibrations too.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Status
    Blog Entries

All good info Motörhead and to elaborate on the transmission wear issue in the tail shaft there is a bushing that can wear out and allow the input yoke to move around if worn you will have trans fluid slip past and leak at higher speeds not sure if it would make vibration in a CC but it does cause a mess on the floor boards and exhaust/frame rails with fluid slug all over (ask me how I know)

00 FR RC Dakota R/T Turbo 11.56@118

99 Amethyst RC Dakota R/T 1-170 13.84@98

P.I.E. tuned cause Flynn is for the Birds if you wanna Run Fast have some PIE !

Just call me George W

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

I had a similar issue on my ram. turned out to be the front u-joint, even though it fealt fine on initial inspection.
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jassole View Post
    I had a similar issue on my ram. turned out to be the front u-joint, even though it fealt fine on initial inspection.
    Good info.....and I have seen simular myself.
    Only to share and not to brag, but my shit has become super smooth at 80-90+ mph with the new crate trans and those $100 Atturo V-Rated tires. I've never owned a 13 year old truck that rolled this smooth down the road.
    These are still bad-ass little trucks by todays standards IMO.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

I've let mine sit and decay since the ram project started. I really need to make 2015 the year that the R/T comes back to life
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Thanks for the replies. I will pull it and drop it off for a check up. The trans is in good shape, had it checked out and serviced last year. I did a few high speed runs tonight coming to work. As soon as I creep up to 89 it starts and gets worse. I talked to a hot rod guy today at work, he hooked me up with a speed shop. Cant wait to get this fixed so I can hit the high speed limiter. OBTW It's not the tires, I have a tire guy here in town. He tells his other customers I am the guy that is raising our town further above sea level 1 burn out at a time. LOL

OK I found it.
    http://www.alldrivelines.com/Services/
    Robert
    99 Flame Red CC R/T
    Bakersfield, Ca

Is the truck lowered? How much? Has anyone shimmed the pinion angle?
    While sorting out mine I went 1 degree too far and vibration started right at 90mph. Just another thought.

Completely stock set up. Who knows what the PO did to this thing. Had 113,000 when I got it. The rear springs were re arched as soon as I got it. But a great thought though. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FLRT View Post
    Is the truck lowered? How much? Has anyone shimmed the pinion angle?
    While sorting out mine I went 1 degree too far and vibration started right at 90mph. Just another thought.
    Robert
    99 Flame Red CC R/T
    Bakersfield, Ca

+ Reply to Thread