+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is the Dakota R/T a future collectable or will it fade away in a haze of tire smoke?

Default Is the Dakota R/T a future collectable or will it fade away in a haze of tire smoke?

In a recent thread a long time member mentioned that he thought it would be unlikely that our trucks with be sought after like the collectable cars we all admire at cruise meets etc. today. Just curious if others think that as time goes on and the trucks get older and rarer if they might be come a future collectable?

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

To the right person - everything is collectible - or to others, just another old car or truck. I doubt they will become any more collectible than anything else. Some people think every different year of Corvette or Camaro or Mustang is collectible as well. Somebody would have to be "into" them before they would be considered collectible. Barrett Jackson will never feature a Dakota R/T as a top moneymaker. LOL
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

No more than and probably much less than a SyTy.

The problem with collectability is; most people want a low mileage, pristine example. Those are becoming rarer and rarer, because people also seek them out to begin modifying them, so the good ones are constantly being butchered and rendered unfit for collecting.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    .................. Barrett Jackson will never feature a Dakota R/T as a top moneymaker. LOL
    Never say never.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

Not happening. Nice fodder for future projects, for sure. But the only people who give a shit about these things are all on this website already.
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    Never say never.
    So true,I go every year,have since ’86,and am always amazed at what has become collectable or has crossed the block.
    I know I’ve killed or parted ways with many different vehicles I’ve since seen.

Now dollar value may be a different thing since usually the collectors are people who had one in the past and are looking for another,or their dad,brother ,uncle etc. had one and they now desire one.

But at the end of the day,it would have to be a clean low mile one,and the buyer would actually have to know what they were looking for or at,much like anything else.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by y2krtaf View Post
    So true,I go every year,have since ’86,and am always amazed at what has become collectable or has crossed the block.
    I know I’ve killed or parted ways with many different vehicles I’ve since seen.

Now dollar value may be a different thing since usually the collectors are people who had one in the past and are looking for another,or their dad,brother ,uncle etc. had one and they now desire one.

But at the end of the day,it would have to be a clean low mile one,and the buyer would actually have to know what they were looking for or at,much like anything else.
    One of these days one will show up that is either the first one or last one made and it will be gold plated and have less than a 100 miles on it.....

Really.....there are a number of unforeseen reasons one of these could be sold on B/J.....such as a moviestar or athlete donating to charity.

Never say never...

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Red trucks are faster

Status

Barret Jackson aside......as far as becoming collectable, all it takes is one T.V. show or movie and everyone wants it. Do you not remember The Dukes-of-Hazard??

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

yeah, but people loved old mopars before the Dukes
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

CDXX

Status
    Blog Entries
    Pro Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    To the right person - everything is collectible - or to others, just another old car or truck. I doubt they will become any more collectible than anything else. Some people think every different year of Corvette or Camaro or Mustang is collectible as well. Somebody would have to be "into" them before they would be considered collectible. Barrett Jackson will never feature a Dakota R/T as a top moneymaker. LOL
    When my first 2000 R/T burned down, my insurance company (State Farm) sent my documents and information to Barrett Jackson for a Quote to figure out how much it would be worth, and that would be the amount they paid me. After hearing back from Barret Jackson team they quoted the 2000 R/T at 13-14k. I was paid somewhere between 13-14 for the truck, if I remember correctly. Yeah, not a top moneymaker, but still draws enough attention to spark some debate, obviously.

DRTC #1064

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jassole View Post
    yeah, but people loved old mopars before the Dukes
    No argument there and why would this one not be considered one of those Mopars??
    Anything is possible, thus my stance on "never say never"..

I think the Dakota could be reintroduced much like the Charger was.

If Dodge would have put 100 more horsepower from the factory, I think they would have been collectable.

Real mans truck

Status

About as likely as an Indy or SS/T Ram. Limited production doesn't always equate to collectible.
    98 SS/T Stock 193hp/241lb.ft Best time 60ft-2.32 1/8-10.26@69mph 1/4-15.97@85.5mph

Status

Never.

I mean why would it?
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SShiTbox View Post
    About as likely as an Indy or SS/T Ram. Limited production doesn't always equate to collectible.
    Ah but limited production is only part of the equation.
    Looks play a major factor too. We all know that most favor this body style of all.

Real mans truck

Status

I favor the Rams and I love the Indy/SS-T wheels.
    98 SS/T Stock 193hp/241lb.ft Best time 60ft-2.32 1/8-10.26@69mph 1/4-15.97@85.5mph

make it bigger STROKE IT

Status

Most people look at a dakota r/t as a truck that sits slightly lower and has better wheels other than that it looks like every other dakota on the road. I don't think they will be collectable maybe desirable for certain people but they won't ever bring big money so I say do what ya want to them cut em up make them go fast and look nasty.

Forged 408 12.10 @ 111mph under the knife again

Status

just because it is a truck does not mean it cant be collectable look at the red express trucks or the cameo style trucks from chevy and dodge from the fifties dodge had the rear quarters from a tale finn station wagon on the bed sides. they were the first fleet side trucks( i think chevy was first not sure ) or even the more modern cyclones . all very collectable . it just takes time all classics were new once.
    things that make it collectable can be as follows
    1. was it common and how many survive (the rarer the better in most cases)
    2. what kind of image did it have (was it a status symbol)
    3. was it performance or pedestrian ( performance is better in most cases)
    4. does it stand out from its own kind (mileage , color ,rare options ,who owned it , is it famous on its own say a magazine or a movie )
    5. will future generations want it (my dad or my grandfather had one or its just so cool what they made back then i have to have one)

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slvr03dakrt View Post
    Most people look at a dakota r/t as a truck that sits slightly lower and has better wheels other than that it looks like every other dakota on the road. I don't think they will be collectable maybe desirable for certain people but they won't ever bring big money so I say do what ya want to them cut em up make them go fast and look nasty.
    This,
    but then in 1988 I bought the Legend of Zelda boardgame and a few months ago I found out that it was a collector's item. Who knew? I think anything that has the signs of becoming a collectable is collected and therefore never becomes a collectable while something stupid like a toy from a Happy Meal can be used to put a downpayment on a house.

But as for the Dakota R/T, all you need is for one to be prominently featured in a hit movie or TV show and suddenly it could become a must-have vehicle. I feel like Breaking Bad almost made the Aztek a respectable.... almost.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by darby5757 View Post
    just because it is a truck does not mean it cant be collectable look at the red express trucks or the cameo style trucks from chevy and dodge from the fifties dodge had the rear quarters from a tale finn station wagon on the bed sides. they were the first fleet side trucks( i think chevy was first not sure ) or even the more modern cyclones . all very collectable . it just takes time all classics were new once.
    things that make it collectable can be as follows
    1. was it common and how many survive (the rarer the better in most cases)
    2. what kind of image did it have (was it a status symbol)
    3. was it performance or pedestrian ( performance is better in most cases)
    4. does it stand out from its own kind (mileage , color ,rare options ,who owned it , is it famous on its own say a magazine or a movie )
    5. will future generations want it (my dad or my grandfather had one or its just so cool what they made back then i have to have one)
    Sorry, but it's an overweight, under powered truck, and the same look can be had by tens of thousands of other Dakotas, some probably faster with a manual 4.7.

Nothing collectable to see here...Move along.
    11.27 @ 118.23

Status

Not collectable or disirable? Then what are we doing here?
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status
    Blog Entries

I think it will.. Not to the level of some of the rare muscle you see on tv.. But I have seen Mecum auction where they called it a up and coming clàssic body style..trucks are getting to be collectable .. Look at the late 60s Chevy C10 a lot of them are modded for pro touring .. I can see that happening with these.. The typhoon and Syclone are starting to increase as a collectable .. Modding trucks to handle is popular .. Look at trucks on Fast and Loud , The Hellboy C10

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Not collectable or disirable? Then what are we doing here?
    Trying to go fast.....
    11.27 @ 118.23

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Sorry, but it's an overweight, under powered truck, and the same look can be had by tens of thousands of other Dakotas, some probably faster with a manual 4.7.

Nothing collectable to see here...Move along.
    Hoarder.....

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Trying to go fast.....
    You could have picked a better platform for that....
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast