+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Loping Idle, Stalling when Stopping, Running Rich

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I would still check them but he did mention that he put new plugs and wires in. So we can rule out being lazy here, lol. No pun intended but I think he's done quite a bit to try and solve his problem.
    I do NOT think the OP is lazy. He has his hands full.
    My "lazy" statement was a general remark because no one ever takes pictures or discusses the condition of the exsisting plugs in a problem motor.
    Most just change the plugs and go about their business.
    Problems can become more obvious when ALL the spark plugs are out and lying beside each other on the bench for comparison.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Harbor Freight has a leak down compression tester for about 40 bucks. Might be a good idea for the OP to invest in one for these issues. I think I'm going to get me one for GP just in case.

Status

Is your temperature sensor functioning? Mine had a similar problem when up to temp because the truck thought it was still cold.
    1999 Soler Yeller Zcode RegCab.
    Shaved
    Dropped
    Manual Swapped

Status

Thread revival. I never got an update that people were responding and I decided to take a break from it so that didn't lend itself to help, sorry guys. I was burnt out on this dang truck to say the least. Well, I'm back at it now. I saw where it was mentioned to check the roller rocker geometry. The roller rockers in question are Harland Sharp 1.7 Roller Rockers, they're drop in nonadjustable ones that are made to work with oem pushrods plus the truck ran perfectly fine for 100miles until this issue came about.

I have replaced the temp sensor because the old one failed. It's reading temp now.

As far as upstream o2's goes. The research I've done regarding them show they don't have any affect on the trucks operation since its in open loop until they get up to temp and then it switches to closed loop. The truck is acting this way from cold until warm. So would it still be important to replace those at this point even though they shouldn't have an affect on the actual running of the engine when cold?

I checked for air leaks around the M1, I found none. I sprayed carb cleaner all around it without results. So that was a no go there.

I'm trying to approach this with an open mind and I'm willing to listen to people with more experience with this sort of thing. Please get back with me and let me know what I should do. As far as plugs go they've been changed since this started and they all are getting wet from running rich.
    1999 Dakota R/T
    Mopar PCM, M1 Manifold, 52mm TB, shorty headers, 1.7RR, 3in single Powerstick exhaust
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
    Hard IC Pipes, NGR BOV, 3000GT K&N FIPK, MR 3" downpipe, Thermal R&D catback

I killed Goose

Status

Hey, A Louisiana dude! I'm not all lone after all.

Have you ever checked your fuel pressure?

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Status

I was sitting here reflecting on what all has happened and the affects its had changing things. I remember when it first started my buddy who's a mechanic unplugged a sensor at a time to see if any change would occur. Well he unplugged the MAP sensor and the truck idled perfect, drove fine without issue. But as soon as you would plug it in the truck would change personalities back to the POS running. Well I replaced the MAP, to still no avail. I however a little later on I decided to unplug it again to see what was what. Well it wouldn't change the way the truck acted any more. I tried it periodically just to see, still nothing. I'm going to try to test my MAP sensor that's on there now along with the wires going to it. I've heard a bad ground wire could cause it to act wonky. I'm grasping at straws but hell it can't hurt to put the meter on it.
    1999 Dakota R/T
    Mopar PCM, M1 Manifold, 52mm TB, shorty headers, 1.7RR, 3in single Powerstick exhaust
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi FWD

Status

BIG ROB.

No, I haven't as of yet.

Good to see another Dak R/T member reppin' the boot.
    1999 Dakota R/T
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi FWD

I killed Goose

Status

I'd be surprised if that was the cause but it's one more easy thing to rule out.

I killed Goose

Status

Quote Originally Posted by screamingdemon View Post
    I was sitting here reflecting on what all has happened and the affects its had changing things. I remember when it first started my buddy who's a mechanic unplugged a sensor at a time to see if any change would occur. Well he unplugged the MAP sensor and the truck idled perfect, drove fine without issue. But as soon as you would plug it in the truck would change personalities back to the POS running. Well I replaced the MAP, to still no avail. I however a little later on I decided to unplug it again to see what was what. Well it wouldn't change the way the truck acted any more. I tried it periodically just to see, still nothing. I'm going to try to test my MAP sensor that's on there now along with the wires going to it. I've heard a bad ground wire could cause it to act wonky. I'm grasping at straws but hell it can't hurt to put the meter on it.
    Have you reset the PCM since changing / unplugging sensors?

I killed Goose

Status

Da bottom of da boot sha!

Status

BIG ROB.

No, I haven't as of yet.

Did you ever find out what was the cause of the issues you described in this thread?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2