+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steering Wheel Overhaul

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by dakrt23 View Post
    Is there any way to wrap the center portion of the wheel? I would want the whole thing to match in the "look" of the leather.
    Yeah you can wrap the center portion. Lunchbox (Brian Akers) did that to his. I'd think all you would need is some material and contact cement to glue it in place around the back. Only thing I'd be a little concerned about is the effect it may have on airbag functionality upon deployment. Most likely not much..but I haven't done any tests myself ...yet.
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SB440R/T View Post
    Did you do the regular red color or the dark red?
    It's the regular red. I exchanged communication and placed my order via email and just stated "red stitching". On their website ordering page it looks like it would be the same as "JDM red".
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Got Beer?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JDreamR/T View Post
    It's the regular red. I exchanged communication and placed my order via email and just stated "red stitching". On their website ordering page it looks like it would be the same as "JDM red".
    Cool, thanks.
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

*Disclaimer - All suggestions given for performance modifications is assuming that you live close or at Sea Level

Panty Dropper

Status

Great Job and write up- Your wheel looks great!
    Customized from head to toe. Truck Trend Magazine Favorite Show Truck From SEMA 2010, Featured in Truck Trend Mag Feb 2011, Feature Article CarAudio Mag and Featured in CarAudio Mag SEMA booth 2010. Truckin Magazine Full Feature issue 12, 2011 & Truckin Magazine Truck of the Year, Named 2012 Mopar Top Eliminator by Chrysler Corporation, Full feature and interview on Solo Films DVD Inspired Lifestyle. Sponsored by Memphis Car Audio, Tuff Stuff Performance, Taylor Wires, Viar Corp, Continental Tires, K&N, North Star Battery & Monzter MotorSports.

A Custom Truck is not created by how big your wallet is. It's the hands on effort you apply from your own ideas. Only then can it be called Custom-- Dynamic Installs

Status

Yeah you can wrap the center portion. Lunchbox (Brian Akers) did that to his. I'd think all you would need is some material and contact cement to glue it in place around the back. Only thing I'd be a little concerned about is the effect it may have on airbag functionality upon deployment. Most likely not much..but I haven't done any tests myself ...yet.
    Does Brian have any pics of that on here?

I wonder what it would look like with the thin cushioning, a little more OE
    HI. I like beer, burnouts, and boobies...

Man no offense but I think they made your cover backwards - I have been thinking about doing this but the breaks looked funky how it doesnt span the spokes. The little tiny portion with the M is I BELIEVE supposed to be the bottom portion not the top. That way your perf material spans the spokes correctly like a stocker.

Am I on drugs or do I have a legit question?

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    Is this yours?

I want that wheel...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by dakrt23 View Post
    Does Brian have any pics of that on here?

I wonder what it would look like with the thin cushioning, a little more OE
    Hers a pic of brians r/t wheel
    http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33050

Heres mine with mopar m
    http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...t=32891&page=5

Its pretty simple.i msgd brian and asked him how he did it.basically same as described above.find a fabric that you want.i used some thin wood or particle board to make the logo.use contact cement or somethi g strong to glue the logo.i used 3m spray adhesive for the vynl.start in the centre around the logo and work your way out.i used crazy glue for the edges.

I also thought about the airbag situation.but it doesnt change anything except youll have a thin layer of vynl wrapped around the plastic cover thats gonna smack you in the face!!

2002 CC R/T
    14.11@95mph

Status

Default who's on drugs?

Man no offense but I think they made your cover backwards - I have been thinking about doing this but the breaks looked funky how it doesnt span the spokes. The little tiny portion with the M is I BELIEVE supposed to be the bottom portion not the top. That way your perf material spans the spokes correctly like a stocker.

Am I on drugs or do I have a legit question?

Hey White, no offense taken, whether or not you're on drugs tho, only you can answer that...(druggs are baddd mmmkayy???)

Drugs or no drugs, you bring up a "legit" and interesting thing.
    The wheel you posted, is actually made differently than mine! Take a look at the photos I posted and you will see that my original wheel was actually made up of only 2 sections w/ 2 seams. As opposed to your wheel which is 4 sections and 4 seams. This is strange, and I wonder if dodge was the one on drugs...

I don't believe that redline make a mistake or got it backwards, that is just the way they broke up the sections. I personally like the way it was done, with the perforated sections on the upper spokes where optimal hand positioning is generally desired. I suppose you could always specify exactly the design you want to redline, and they'll make it for you as such. Truthfully I wasn't sure what to expect, the perf. sections on all 4 spokes would be nice too I suppose.

indentations in wheel for seams highlighted...

Regardless of your preferences, It sure beats the heck outta my old POS! In the words of McD's...

Jim - I talked to Jack at redline - the issue stems from the fact that they used a ram wheel which was different - I wonder in 2000 if they went to the 4 sections.

Dont get me wrong it looks great I was just curious. Ram wheel is below and I think what you had?

Status

Jim - I talked to Jack at redline - the issue stems from the fact that they used a ram wheel which was different - I wonder in 2000 if they went to the 4 sections.

Dont get me wrong it looks great I was just curious. Ram wheel is below and I think what you had?
    Thanks, yeah who knows...funny you caught those differences, you have a keen eye. So are you considering of getting a wheel done sometime soon?

Thanks, yeah who knows...funny you caught those differences, you have a keen eye. So are you considering of getting a wheel done sometime soon?
    I am yes but he needs a wheel to take apart as they dont have that pattern - needs it to go to poland, FUCK! That is where their main plant is so I dunno what to do yet.

Status

I am yes but he needs a wheel to take apart as they dont have that pattern - needs it to go to poland, FUCK! That is where their main plant is so I dunno what to do yet.
    Ah no shit...that kinda sucks. Possibly you can get a discount b/c of the new pattern they don't have. I'd like to see the end result if you decide to go through with it. Goodluck!

Panty Dropper

Status

Pick n pull a wheel for 10 bucks from an ecology yard or what ever is close to you and your done
    Customized from head to toe. Truck Trend Magazine Favorite Show Truck From SEMA 2010, Featured in Truck Trend Mag Feb 2011, Feature Article CarAudio Mag and Featured in CarAudio Mag SEMA booth 2010. Truckin Magazine Full Feature issue 12, 2011 & Truckin Magazine Truck of the Year, Named 2012 Mopar Top Eliminator by Chrysler Corporation, Full feature and interview on Solo Films DVD Inspired Lifestyle. Sponsored by Memphis Car Audio, Tuff Stuff Performance, Taylor Wires, Viar Corp, Continental Tires, K&N, North Star Battery & Monzter MotorSports.

A Custom Truck is not created by how big your wallet is. It's the hands on effort you apply from your own ideas. Only then can it be called Custom-- Dynamic Installs

Status

Default High quality pics (large)

I just wanted to upload a few quality pictures I took recently at differing angles and light, and with a real camera, and not my phone (high resolution).

Last edited by JDreamR/T; 02-19-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: full res

I just wanted to upload a few quality pictures I took recently at differing angles and light, and with a real camera, and not my phone (high resolution).

very nice work
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lonesoldier79 View Post
    very nice work
    Thank you sir! If I had to do it again, I'd try a little harder keep wrinkles from forming, and use less glue. In the end, I'm more than satisfied. I encourage anyone who needs theirs done to give it a go its not too difficult, this was my 1st crack at anything relating to upholstery.

Status

Excellent write up. Looks awesome
    410, 10.3 comp pistons, P&P Eddies, 254 cam, 30lb injectors, sct tuner, 3800 viper stall, 4:56 yukon gears, hotchkis tvs, m1 4brrl, 58mm f&b tb, 1.7 rr, electric fan, jm longtube headers, B&M hammer shifter, Cope Racing Trans, Viper Brakes, SRT8 Seats, nx wet kit(100 shot)
    best time 11.32 @ 118 1.59 60' on spray(old motor). 11.76@115 n/a(new motor)
    DD 07 SRT8 Charger 12.55@112

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99408kotar/t View Post
    Thank you!

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99408kotar/t View Post
    Agreed.....I may just go get a junk yard wheel and recover it then swap it out.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Thanks for the awesome write up
    This gives me a good winter project to do.

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2