+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal Project: 1998 Dakota Side Exit Exhaust

Supporting Vendor

Status

The two combinations I’ve been looking at that should fit between the frame and rocker panels are the following:

1. Borla XR-1 40944 muffler with the Vibrant 17695 or 1769 mufflers as resonators. (Stainless 304) And the cost of stainless tubing would add up.
    2. Jones Max Flow MF2259 or MF2289 mufflers (stainless 409) with the Dynomax 24250 muffler as a resonator. (stainless 409). (I would just use aluminized tubing for this and maybe paint or ceramic coat it. However, the cost of ceramic coating may add up to more than just going with the 304 stainless set up and not coating it.)

Scenario 1 is a little over double the price than scenario 2. All mufflers are perforated straight through design. I think the Jones muffler would be quieter than the Borla because it is 24" long and the Borla is only 16" long.

(I've got to say that this kind of bums me out. I had high hopes for the original design and had some fabrication time into it as well.)

Supporting Vendor

Status

Ordered the Jones Max Flow MF2289 and the Dynomax 24250, one of each. Once received, I'll flow them and see how they do. If it looks promising, I'll assemble all of the piping and mufflers, and see what I get.

I made a cardboard template of the muffler footprint, and it does tuck nicely up into the space between the frame and rocker panel. I will not be show casing these mufflers if they work out. They are just not as sexy as the shape of the bullet mufflers. lol

Edit: I suppose I could have tried the next shortest bullet muffler to see if it gave me the flow I'm looking for.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 02-19-2022 at 12:14 AM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Assembled the total system for one side and it flows 451 cfm.

Last edited by 98Dak408; 02-23-2022 at 10:34 PM.

Looks good. Don't think flow is going to be a problem. Sound level may be, LOL. Should be wicked!
    Last edited by musky mike; 02-20-2022 at 01:52 PM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Looks good. Don't thing flow is going to be a problem. Sound level may be, LOL. Should be wicked!
    I've got to finish porting the heads to see where my flow numbers are. I'm not necessarily looking for the highest flow numbers. It's more of a street toy so I don't want all of my power at the top.

Supporting Vendor

Status

The Dynomax 24250 mufflers flow better in one direction than the other. However, there are no instructions in regard to the direction of flow. Summit Racing specifies it as a directional muffler, with the 3” ID end being the inlet. The 3” OD is called out as the outlet. However, the muffler flows better backwards if that is the case. But maybe it has better sound deadening in the direction of less flow.

Flow starting at the 3” ID end: 697 cfm
    Flow starting at the 3” OD end: 781 cfm

The muffler is flowing backwards.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 02-23-2022 at 10:22 PM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Flowed a Jones A4530B 2 1/2", 30” long muffler, similar to the 3” muffler tested previously. The sound deadening length is 24”. With this muffler it did flow better in one direction than the other. Flowed 302 cfm toward the sound deadening and 339 cfm toward the back of the sound deadening.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Flowed the Jones MF2289. It flowed 748 cfm in either direction. This looks promising. I’ll have to hook it up with the Dynomax 24250 muffler/resonator, and some length of pipe, and see how it flows combined.

It's amazing how the louver style tubing, even though it's straight through kills flow.

Supporting Vendor

Status

It's amazing how the louver style tubing, even though it's straight through kills flow.
    Yeah.

The MT 2289 flows more than the 3", 30" long glass pack, which has a baffled area of 24" long. So, it's a pretty good comparison between the two.

I'm pretty sure the Max Flow, MF2289, is going to be a keeper, but I'll test the entire system to be sure.

A shorter Max Flow would surely flow more.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Flowed the 24250, MF2289, and a length of tubing, for an idea how the combination works together. With the 24250 in the designated direction of flow, the combination resulted in 610 cfm. The 24250 in reverse flow produced 612 cfm. So with the 24250 in either direction only changed the overall flow by 2 cfm. However, when testing the 24250 by itself produced a difference of 84 cfm. (There was a noticeable whistling sound coming from it in reverse flow.) One thing I have learned about airflow is that it doesn’t always do what you think it should do.

This exhaust combination should fit my engine combination well, without being overly loud. Time will tell. And hopefully not in another 8 years. Lol

Supporting Vendor

Status

Looking through the 24250 from the direction of flow. There is a step down at the beginning and another step down at the end.

Supporting Vendor

Status

This is a little off topic, but this test is of the Dynomax Super Turbo 17748 muffler with a 2 1/2" inlet/outlet, and a 20” case length. It’s called out as a reversible muffler, but I did see a difference in flow from the centered end vs the offset end. However, it’s not a huge difference. I was going to use the previously mentioned Jones A4530B 2 1/2" bullet muffler for my 2004 3.7 Dakota, but the I think I’ll use the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler instead. (Note: If the core length of the Jones bullet muffler was the same 20" as the Dynomax, it surely would flow a little more.)

Dynomax Super Turbo Test

Direction of flow centered end: 373 cfm
    Direction of flow offset end: 363 cfm

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

I respect the commitment to this after 6+ yrs Still faster than my projects typically get finished. Interested to see the end results. I think it would be cool to finish the exhaust in a perforated heat shield similar to this...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...yABEgIv3fD_BwE
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Supporting Vendor

Status

I always liked the Corvette, AC Cobra...and Viper side pipes. I believe the Older AC Cobra and Corvette were glass packs, but not sure about about the Viper. I guess they could be chambered. However, I'm not sure my initial glass pack attempt will flow enough for my engine. I still sorting all that out.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Doing a little mock-up. If I want to tuck the exhaust up this far, and run the pipe all the way to the front of the rear tire, I’ll either have to bend the pipe around the cab sheet metal, or cut the sheet metal. The easier thing to do would be to terminate the pipe at the end of the cab, and not try to run it all the way back to the rear tire.

Status

Pretty trick, how loud would that be ?

Supporting Vendor

Status

Pretty trick, how loud would that be ?
    I'm not sure Earnie but I'm hoping to find out. lol.

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

I see what you mean about the cab corner support, also you have a body mount there can't tell if that's in the way too...

Larger zoomed out pic for reference

Could be getting too fancy, but what if you cut two holes in the center of each frame rail to run the pipe inboard of the frame and then back out to where you want it to exit
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Status

I need to get my spintechs welded on, debating if I want to go out the panel or out the back with it

Supporting Vendor

Status

I see what you mean about the cab corner support, also you have a body mount there can't tell if that's in the way too...
    Yep, it's all in the way. And I'd rather not cut on the body and such. I wonder how it would look terminating the exhaust tip at the end of the cab, instead of going all the way back to the tire?

Could be getting too fancy, but what if you cut two holes in the center of each frame rail to run the pipe inboard of the frame and then back out to where you want it to exit
    The gas tank is kind of in the way on the driver's side. I could look into some oval tube maybe but it still might hang kind of low.

PS: Your set up looks pretty clean.

Supporting Vendor

Status

I need to get my spintechs welded on, debating if I want to go out the panel or out the back with it
    Out the back would be quieter. The side would look cool but you'd have to cut on the body.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Who says the side pipes have to go so far back?

I think short side pipes would look good . But would be really loud inside a short cab truck.
    Also like JDReamrt ‘s exhaust . Turndowns before the diff is classic.

Supporting Vendor

Status

I could try the exit at the end of the cab and see how it goes. I could always lengthen it later.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast