+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal Project: 1998 Dakota Side Exit Exhaust

Supporting Vendor

Status

Default Personal Project: 1998 Dakota Side Exit Exhaust

I started mocking up a dual side exit exhaust for my ’98 Dakota CC. Not sure how well it will work out but I’m going to give it shot. It is being fabricated using the Spintech mid-length header with a 1 ¾” primary and 3” collector. The exhaust will be constructed of 3” pipes and mufflers. Since I’ve become less tolerant of a super loud exhaust with an obnoxious cruising drone, I’m adding a 12” bullet muffler in front of the main muffler to act as a resonator, although it may not be necessary. (I can handle more loud than drone. lol) With the mufflers outside of the frame rails, and not between the frame rails, I’m hoping that will help. I may also add a cut-out that is easily accessible from the side of the vehicle so I can uncork the exhaust if I want. (I suppose I could also remove the mufflers for that purpose.) I'm currently in the process of checking clearances. It will probably have an “H” crossover pipe of 2 ½” diameter. I need to get the trans back in so the engine sits at the correct angle and I know how to route the down pipe from the header collector to the side.

Status

Hmm... interesting. Will you eventually coat it? Silver, black? Use a screen type cover like in this kit? Cool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Chrome-7...d4b227&vxp=mtr
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Supporting Vendor

Status

I'm thinking of painting it silver to work with the wheels and black as an option. Not too into the screened pipe look. I like the raw look of the old AC Cobra side pipes though. Along similar lines would be the Corvette side pipes or Viper side pipes. My proposed set up shouldn't pose a leg burn hazard like the old school side pipes do. Since the system is designed for the truck, I'm hoping it won't look awkward like a bolt-on side pipe set up might. I'm also hoping for a power increase and am curious how the sound wil turn out.

Status

Looks good Richard. I thought of doing something similar with mine as well but with my long tubes already being back to the trans crossmember that won't work for me as it would look funny. Can't wait to see the finished product. I'll bet it will look badass. Im not a fan of the screens that encase the pipes either.
    Chad
    1999 Dodge Dakota R/T

Mods
    Paxton Novi 2k Supercharger @ 12lbs, 2.02R/T Stage III port/polish w/5 angle valve job, 58mm F&B TB, M1 4bbl, 1.6 HS Roller Rockers, Custom Cam, JP double roller timing chain, MP lifters, Custom Long Tube Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust (no cats), SCT, Viper 3000 Stall Converter, 4.56 Yukon Gears, Caltracs, M&H 325/45/17s

http://megaswf.com/s/2536929

Status

i just started on my exhaust build as well. Started by installing the mids then ran duel 3" to an h pipe. Crossed over to the passenger side behind the tranny pan. It all will come apart in 3 pieces, left side, right side and h pipe.The h pipe is located just behind passengers seat. It can also be removed without jacking or anything.there are no clamps only 3 bolt flanges.i dont have mufflers or turndowns yet but im only in it for $200 plus the headers.
    I dont have access to a bender so 2 of my bends didnt go so well. But i purchased mandrel bends where i need 90* bends.also made all the flanges myself.

2002 CC R/T
    14.11@95mph

Enough Show, Need More Go

Status

Not tucking it up so it's not visible?
    1998 Silver RC SLT - Hughes 2.02 Heads, Mopar M1 4bbl Intake, Mopar 4bbl TB, 230/236 .515/.515 on a 110, 1.6 Roller Rockers, 4.10's, Spintech Headers, 3" Duals, X Pipe, Chambered Mufflers, 4/4 Drop, 727 Full Manual w/Transbrake, PTC 4500 Stall

12.90 at 104mph

Supporting Vendor

Status

Not tucking it up so it's not visible?
    Nope. I'm not concerned about that. I don't mind the raw look of it.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Looks good Richard. I thought of doing something similar with mine as well but with my long tubes already being back to the trans crossmember that won't work for me as it would look funny. Can't wait to see the finished product. I'll bet it will look badass. Im not a fan of the screens that encase the pipes either.
    You’re right, long tubes straight back wouldn’t work so well. That’s why I went with the Spintech mids for now. I have considered making a long tube header coming out the side (kind of like the AC Cobra) so it could feed into this type of exhaust system but it’s not in the budget at the moment. lol

Black Pearl

Status

Run with it Richard. I've always liked the look of the vintage corvette side pipes. I've considered doing that exhaust mod myself.

If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Using outriggers from the frame to support the exhaust. Got it up as far and over as possible while keeping the exhaust in a straight line. Tolerances are close but the support is quite rigid while still allowing minimal flex.

Last edited by 98Dak408; 12-18-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    Using outriggers from the frame to support the exhaust. Got it up as far and over as possible while keeping the exhaust in a straight line. Tolerances are close but the support is quite rigid while still allowing minimal flex.

Looks great! i was thinking about doing something similar with mine but with flat bar.keep up the good work!

2002 CC R/T
    14.11@95mph

Supporting Vendor

Status

Got the mid and rear section of the exhaust attached on both sides. Now I have to finish rebuilding the trans and get it installed so I can time-out the rest of the exhaust to the engine.

DRTC Member #1146

Status

Are those polyurethane bushings around the bolts on the mounts?

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    218/226 Comp Cam, Stage 1 Ported EQ Heads, PRW 1.6 Roller Rockers, PIE Custom Tune, Full spintech exhaust with 3" side exit, 52mm Holley, Ported Kegger, Viper E-Fan, Powerdemon Trans, Hotchkis Springs, Leafs and Sway Bars, R/T 20's, Gen 3 viper seats, Custom "Rejected" State Inspection Sticker
    Plenty More to come

Supporting Vendor

Status

Are those polyurethane bushings around the bolts on the mounts?
    They're high temperature silicone.

Status

Is there a conclusion to this?
    Jason Weltch (Another Jason!)
    Maricopa, AZ
    -Black 2003 CC Dakota R/T 59,000mi (Under the knife for a long time, unless I hit the lottery or something.)
    -Blue 2014 Hemi Ram 1500 26,000mi
    -Silver 2014 Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee ​60,000mi
    -Red 2001 Durango R/T
    240,000mi (SOLD)

Supporting Vendor

Status

Is there a conclusion to this?
    Not yet.

Status

Dam! That's looking sharp! Wondering what the sound is going to be like!

Supporting Vendor

Status

The 12” Jones 3” straight through glass pack flows about 702 cfm. The direction of flow doesn’t seem to matter. However, the ID is about 2 7/16” due to the sound baffling.

The 30” Jones 3” straight through glass pack doesn’t look like it’s going to cut it in regard to flow. It flows 474 cfm. The direction of flow doesn’t seem to matter. However, the ID is about 2 7/16” due to the sound baffling.

I am assuming I will need in excess of 500 cfm flow per side, but I don’t want an ear shattering drone. Since I also want to use a resonator, they’ll have to be sized larger than that. Got to sort out the heads for more accurate calculations.

I did reduce an internal ridge inside the 12” muffler and gained 3% flow. But that still won’t get me where I want to go with the 30” muffler.

When I get a chance, I’ll test the flow with both mufflers in line to see what the flow is combined.

(Sometimes it just takes me forever to work on my own stuff. lol)

Last edited by 98Dak408; 02-23-2022 at 10:57 PM.

Status

dang thats a delay, but I know how that goes!

Could try using J tubes to help with drone and not add a restriction.

Supporting Vendor

Status

I may have to take a best shot at a muffler, test it, and see what it flows. I don't have a lot of room between the frame and rocker panel, and that's where I want to put it.

Or do what I can improving the flow of the large muffler, and just run that. Better sound deadening for the price of some hp, maybe? However, I have no idea how loud that muffler is.

Accumulating parts...

Status

I saw how old the thread was you revived, but I can't judge... my truck has been on stands for about the same amount of time
    Definitely unique! Can't wait to see and hopefully hear end results.
    Last edited by GoFastGray; 02-16-2022 at 08:16 PM.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Supporting Vendor

Status

I saw how olf the thread was you revived, but I can't judge... my truck has been on stands for about the same amount of time
    Definitely unique! Can't wait to see and hopefully hear end results.
    Yeah, I'm getting older too. So many things have gotten in the way.

Engine Masters did a dyno test with ~540hp engine with mandrel bent pipe and non (3"), with and without mufflers. At that HP level from 0-3 psi back pressure, power really didn't change. So any low restriction muffler shouldn't hurt power, unless your north of 550 crank HP.
    Last edited by musky mike; 02-17-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Years ago, I did a dual 2 1/2” system into a single 3 1/2” pipe. I installed an electric cut out (fun until it started leaking after only a couple of times opening and closing it). You can see the down-turn for it. I originally ran a Flowmaster 40 series IIRC. A larger pipe will be louder anyway, but with the Flowmaster, the drone was unbearable. So, I added a Dynomax muffler in front of the Flowmaster. Sound level was much quieter with no drone. However, along with the tiny air cleaners I was running on the tunnel ram, the combination cost a 30hp and 35tq at the rear wheels. Out of that, the small air cleaners contributed to a loss of 18hp and 2tq at the rear wheels. Choking the air coming in and choking the air going out.

The new exhaust had hopes of solving those problems, but since the exhaust has been on the back burner for so long, I am working on upping the hp levels of the engine. And now, I am concerned it may be too restrictive with the new engine configuration.

David Vizard, if I recall correctly, states you should have about 2.2 times the exhaust cfm per hp. The following chart shows optimum at 2 to 2.1 cfm per hp.

The Pipemax program I am using as a guide to design my headers and exhaust system, specify 516 cfm per muffler for my engine combination.

So this is what I am trying to iron out.

Engine Masters has been testing some the old "theories" on the dyno (gross hp). Some hold water and some don't, the air filter test they did, bigger/taller was better and the K&N filter lid was one of the best, even when they taped off the air filter it was sitting on. This was with a carb, so with our TB setup, this could be valid if you use a pie pan type air filter, but not with other tubing setups. But they did do a test with TB/FI and all the tubing too. The thing they find with exhaust back pressure is, up to about 3 psi doesn't hurt HP, over that hurts HP. You can get the Motor Trend app for 4.99 per month, and watch all 6 seasons. Pretty cool stuff they test.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast