+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: my brake upgrade

Status

Default tie rods

98 dakota tie rods fit fine. Toe was out 3 degrees.
    My spindles came from a dakota.

Status

I'm having a problem with the passenger side emergency cable where they connect to the lever behind backing plate. Rear is out of truck and axles are removed. Any tips would help, I want to remove caliper mount and powder coat.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Quote Originally Posted by dstoots View Post
    I'm having a problem with the passenger side emergency cable where they connect to the lever behind backing plate. Rear is out of truck and axles are removed. Any tips would help, I want to remove caliper mount and powder coat.
    This is from my 03 8.25, I believe the parking brake cable attachment is the same on your 9.25; http://www.dakotart.com/forum/attach...1&d=1419191630 Does that look like yours?

Lurker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by clrwatrtomsrt View Post
    i ran into other issues that put the brake project on hold, but i hope to get back to it in the next week or 2. Please bear with me.
    tom
    Any progress? Picking up my 03 spindles and rear axle tomorrow. I need to order the new moog balljoints etc. and then it's on like donkey kong

Josh - 98 BLK RC - Mad Milkshake Maker
    Previous
    99 BLK RC - Mad Trash Hauler - sold
    99 DA RC - mad dak - Danno Stole it
    01 SLVR RC - mad sexy - retired - then died
    99 IB RC - mad RT - gone to heaven..

Former Certified member of the 11 Second NA RT Club

Uncle Tommy

Status

that's right.....JACK!
    been real busy but when time allows i will organize pics and part #'s nd post.
    tom

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    This is from my 03 8.25, I believe the parking brake cable attachment is the same on your 9.25; http://www.dakotart.com/forum/attach...1&d=1419191630 Does that look like yours?
    I ended up cutting the cable off and buying 2 rear cables. I think the cable was rusted tight. Waiting to see if I need other cables when I install rear. I will post pictures on photoshop when I can. Working on brakes in my basement work shop so will wait until I move it to garage to add all components to rear end, very heavy with all parts installed. I powder coated all the parts except differential housing which I painted. Powder coated diff. cover chrome, it looks good. Am now rebuilding calipers and then ready to start the install. Replaced all bushings with Energy Suspension bushings in control arms, sway bars, and leafs. Dual Magnaflow exhaust system will replace OEM exhaust. The underside of truck will be like new and than I'll do some bolt on's to the motor.

Uncle Tommy

Status

It's been a while, but i finally got the brake lines done on my axle. now i just need a long weekend to break my truck to swap out the axle and install the front spindles and brakes. Also ordered are a complete ss hard brake line replacement kit, new master cylinder and brake booster.
    Man, this truck just seems to suck up money like a sponge. Oh LORD, please help me! (pics to come)
    tom

Lurker

Status

It's been a while, but i finally got the brake lines done on my axle. now i just need a long weekend to brake my truck to swap out the axle and install the front spindles and brakes. Also ordered are a complete ss hard brake line replacement kit, new master cylinder and brake booster.
    Man, this truck just seems to suck up money like a sponge. Oh LORD, please help me! (pics to come)
    tom
    Where did you find the SS brake lines? It's only $$ ....

Previous

Tied up next few weekends and then off to track weekend of the 29th. If you haven't gotten it done by then let me know and will run up and lend a hand if you like.

Uncle Tommy

Status

the braided ss lines are from russell. The hard lines on the axle are custom built by Fred Brady in Clearwater FL.( He built Hulk Hogans 1970 Hemi Charger.) (572 hemi dual quad one of a kind)
    This is the coolest stuff i've ever seen.
    Contact me if you want some of the cleanest 1 off stuff available. Fred is the BEST!!!!!
    tom

Uncle Tommy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by FLRT View Post
    Tied up next few weekends an. off to track weekend of the 29th. If you haven't gotten it done by then let me know and will run up and lend a hand if you like.
    Thanks for the offer. I'm so busy right now i'm not sure when i'm going to attempt the swap, but i'll let you know when. I'm still driving the truck daily to work, and i have a discharge issue with my dd that i need to address before i break the truck.
    tom

Understand the busy part, seems everyone nowadays is doing the work of 4 people. Just shoot me a text with as much notice as you can and will do my best to help you get it done!

Uncle Tommy

Status

the braided ss lines are from russell. The hard lines on the axle are custom built by Fred Brady in Clearwater FL.( He built Hulk Hogans 1970 Hemi Charger.) (572 hemi dual quad one of a kind)
    This is the coolest stuff i've ever seen.
    Contact me if you want some of the cleanest 1 off stuff available. Fred is the BEST!!!!!
    tom
    I may have spoken too soon about offering up Fred's services. He is very good but also VERY busy. I waited almost three months for my work to get done.
    He is in contact with a company that does nothing but hard stainless steel brake lines about putting together a kit to fit our trucks. As soon as i have info, i will post it up.
    tom

Lurker

Status

I can't find a part # on those braided lines from Russell - got details??

Previous

Black Pearl

Status

I have the 03 conversion on my 98 R/T. OEM rotors are 11.3 dia and the 03's are 12.5. No clearance issues with the R/T wheels and calipers as jraredrt had. Not certain if the brackets have been modified as I bought it with the 03 conversion.
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Lurker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by FLRT View Post
    Understand the busy part, seems everyone nowadays is doing the work of 4 people. Just shoot me a text with as much notice as you can and will do my best to help you get it done!

Love to see some more pics of how you painted that hood - from different angels etc.

joshpaulklein@gmail.com

Looks sweet!

Thanks!

Previous

Quote Originally Posted by jraredrt View Post
    I have done this swap on a 99 R/T. I used 03 durango spindles, calipers and rotors as well as hubs. Stock dakota tie rod ends fit. Used 03 Durango lower brake lines pre assembled in the brackets from Summit. Everything bolted right up no issues except with stock R/T wheels hit the caliper bracket once the lug nuts were tightened. I had to get quarter inch spacers.
    he speaks the truth. I have an 00 and changed the front spindles out for 03 and the tie rod ends fit no problem.
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Quote Originally Posted by madboy View Post
    Love to see some more pics of how you painted that hood - from different angels etc.

joshpaulklein@gmail.com

Looks sweet!

Thanks!
    Thanks! email sent

Status

I've done this swap a couple of time using 03-04 dakota parts. don't recall having to change the tie rod ends. No issues clearing the factory 17 in rims.

Uncle Tommy

Status

Well yesterday i finally got the time to start my install. Rear axle is out and today i'm going to yank the front spindles and start prepping the cal/tracks and leaf springs for new bushings and paint.Rt rear leaf spring center bolt was rusted so bad i had to cut the head off and drive it out with a hammer and punch. What fun! gotta try to source some grade 5 9/16 x 4.5" bolts as i don't want to reassemble with the used rusty crap,
    Thanks Dodge, for using no lubricant when building this thing the first time.

Status

Way to go Tom. My Grandson and I started the front end rebuild yesterday with the 2003 parts you sent me. Upgrading my 2002 daily driver which will be his truck next year. Only broken bolts so far were on the sway bar end links. We're replacing control arms, socks, spindles, calipers, hubs, and rotors. All new bushings and ball joints, painted or powder coated all. Will start rebuild Sunday or Monday. We will do the back brakes next with a conversion to disk, 2" drop blocks, all new bushings, shocks, caliper and rotors. I'll post some pictures later.
    Dick

Uncle Tommy

Status

Yesterday i removed the stock front brakes and spindles and pressure washed the undercarriage. Today i will remove the old brake lines and master cylinder and booster. I hope to fit all my new lines and remove the spring from the proportioning valve.
    If i have time i will install my durango spindles and front brakes.

Uncle Tommy

Status

well after getting my ass kicked for 3 days, i have my new ss brake lines installed, my new brake booster and master cylinder installed and i'm almost ready to install my new rear axle and my front brakes, complete with 1.25" spacers at all 4 corners. Honestly, i'm getting to old for this shit, especially on one of the hottest weekends in Florida. When this is done i'm gonna take this truck out and beat the everloving shit out of it.... because i can.....
    please don't hate me too much,

Lurker

Status

well after getting my ass kicked for 3 days, i have my new ss brake lines installed, my new brake booster and master cylinder installed and i'm almost ready to install my new rear axle and my front brakes, complete with 1.25" spacers at all 4 corners. Honestly, i'm getting to old for this shit, especially on one of the hottest weekends in Florida. When this is done i'm gonna take this truck out and beat the everloving shit out of it.... because i can.....
    pleasedon't hate me too much,
    I hear you on the getting too old for this shit In the end going out and beating on her is worth it

Previous

Lurker

Status

Oh and pics please

Previous