+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dipped my truck

Blown and Squirted

Status

Their youtube channel is awesome.

If you apply it too thin it will not peel cleanly. They sell a solvent to dissolve it.

If the car had to be sanded it sounds like they were using a different product.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

OG DRTC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
    Their youtube channel is awesome.

If you apply it too thin it will not peel cleanly. They sell a solvent to dissolve it.

If the car had to be sanded it sounds like they were using a different product.
    Don't try to tell him that, he does paint and body work for a living he knows more than you.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by hskr View Post
    Don't try to tell him that, he does paint and body work for a living he knows more than you.
    Nope, just you..

Do us all a favor and have someone plastidip your fingers together so you cant type anymore, for gods sake your the most annoying person I know, you must really enjoy reading YOU think is correct...

DRTC Member #1146

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 1evilrt View Post
    Nope, just you..

Do us all a favor and have someone plastidip your fingers together so you cant type anymore, for gods sake your the most annoying person I know, you must really enjoy reading YOU think is correct...

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    218/226 Comp Cam, Stage 1 Ported EQ Heads, PRW 1.6 Roller Rockers, PIE Custom Tune, Full spintech exhaust with 3" side exit, 52mm Holley, Ported Kegger, Viper E-Fan, Powerdemon Trans, Hotchkis Springs, Leafs and Sway Bars, R/T 20's, Gen 3 viper seats, Custom "Rejected" State Inspection Sticker
    Plenty More to come

OG DRTC

Status

Ahh, there it is again. That level of maturity you tried covering by deleting your other posts. And this time you have a supporter. Funny how you are both from the same general area and, look at that, both Execs.

DRTC Member #1146

Status

Ahh, there it is again. That level of maturity you tried covering by deleting your other posts. And this time you have a supporter. Funny how you are both from the same general area and, look at that, both Execs.
    I'd laugh if you said something funny too. But usually you don't, we laugh at the things you say for other reasons

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    218/226 Comp Cam, Stage 1 Ported EQ Heads, PRW 1.6 Roller Rockers, PIE Custom Tune, Full spintech exhaust with 3" side exit, 52mm Holley, Ported Kegger, Viper E-Fan, Powerdemon Trans, Hotchkis Springs, Leafs and Sway Bars, R/T 20's, Gen 3 viper seats, Custom "Rejected" State Inspection Sticker
    Plenty More to come

OG DRTC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Friggin' R/T View Post
    I'd laugh if you said something funny too. But usually you don't, we laugh at the things you say for other reasons
    Sorry for not amusing you. I don't post here to try and get laughs at others expense. Seems you have some screwed up priorities if that's why you replied.

So it is ironic what I am going to post based on this thread here.

I go to my powder coater yesterday after noon to drop off some production parts to be done. When I get there he is off in the corner of the parking lot with a customer I figured no biggee I will just drop the parts and text him - he yells TODD COME HERE. So I stroll over - they have a mercedes CL63 AMG with plastidip on the wheel that WONT COME OFF. It did on some areas but the others were STUCK LIKE glue. He asked if I had any ideas - I said naptha - he said BRB and comes back with a jug of it and asks "like this?" I said yep. He proceeds to tell me for the last two hour they have been using everything they could to try to get it off nothing will dent it. I asked if he had a razor blade, he got it for me. I was able to get under an edge and work the blade down and it came off very tideously and not without marring the finish a tad. I noticed that it wasnt plyable like normal plastidip it was like a sheet of hard plastic that was coming off and it was a BITCH. They had talked to plastidip on the phone and they have no idea wtf was going on other than to speculate it reacted with a cleaner or wax or the carbon brake dust from the carbon ferro pads on the mercedes. Yet the guy said he cleaned the wheels good before application. He still had the 90% empty can in the car with him and it was plastidip. Its a 4000+ dollar set of wheels to replace from Mercedes - they are ruined. No choice but to sand it off or blast it off and maybe powder coat or pvd chrome, no way I would spend that for new wheels. The guy just was curious what black wheels would look like on his black car.

Anyway I wish I had my phone I woulda taken a video of it.

So the moral of the story for me is plastidip doesnt even get a ride in my R/T!!! I still think its a great product for a beater where if something goes south its no big deal.

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

Wait for it
    Wait for it

OG DRTC

Status

Wonder how Plastidip handles getting really hot like maybe he cooked his brakes once or twice and basically "melted" the plastidip. Like any other plastic product, when you melt it, I would think it would become hard and brittle. I've never tried melting plastidip before, but since it was on wheels, that would be my guess. Maybe I'll spray a test piece of scrap metal and see how it handles heat.

Wonder how Plastidip handles getting really hot like maybe he cooked his brakes once or twice and basically "melted" the plastidip. Like any other plastic product, when you melt it, I would think it would become hard and brittle. I've never tried melting plastidip before, but since it was on wheels, that would be my guess. Maybe I'll spray a test piece of scrap metal and see how it handles heat.
    Not sure - but I can tell you this - I soaked a rag in naptha and laid it on the wheel while I fiddled with the other side and came back and it didnt even make the rag black. Maybe a bad batch of plastidip or something but I saw it with my own eyes it was gnarly.

I cant imagine the guy heated them up much he as an older gentleman and the car was clean as a whistle - I think he pooped his pants when I was razor blading his wheel!!! He was not mad upset more in shock as he just wanted to see black wheels then peel it off. It was only on for 7-10 days (he said he did it over christmas).

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

AND THERE HE IS, I'm not dissappointed now

Its ok, we have inspector HSKR on it

OG DRTC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 1evilrt View Post
    AND THERE HE IS, I'm not dissappointed now

So

Its ok, we have inspector HSKR on it
    Can you be any more immature?

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Can you be any more immature?
    That was so immature, why would you crap up a thread like this!

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

Status

who would have thought a thread I started about plastidipping my truck would turn out so polarizing and belligerent...

I did kinda actually expect it - every forum I looked online had its nay-sayers, just like what happened here.

DONT GET ME WRONG - I'M NOT SAYING YOUR EXPERIENCES ARE UNTRUTHFUL OR WRONG/EMBELLISHED but it always seemed to be someone who owned or worked at a body shop or vinyl installer that have seen the worst/most horrific plastidip appplications. Plastidip, in my honest experience, always seemed to peel or come off with something as simple as gasoline. I tested it on some old wheels before I painted my infiniti's wheels. When it came off as described by the manufacturer, I decided to paint my truck since it looked like sh*t from the clear coat failing, or body work I did to straighten things back out. If I had the money to spend on a real paint job, I would have definitely went that route, but I am eager to get this procharger on my truck and tuned, so I went the cheap route. In the past I had looked at the alternatives - everything from 'rolling' it, to spraying it with cheap satin Jon Deer paint (if you look online, people get pretty good results), but I didn't want anything permanent, because I hope to get some real paint on their in the future.

I smashed a curb and killed two of the tires on my infinti, and screwed up the dip on them. When it warms up (lovely 28* here in Dallas today, with a chance of earthquake), I will post a video/pics of the plastidip coming off my wheels. Hopefully it peels.... It been on there for over a year, in every weather condition imaginable.

Black Beauty

Status

I have played around with it quite a bit. It handles with heat very well. I have painted my welding helmet with it countless times. Longest I have had it on was 6 months. That with FCAW, SMAW, MIG, TIG. But The one that gives out the most heat is flux. I did a test and put a water bottle next to what I was welding to hold up to the heat in comparison to the Plasti dip. The bottle ended up warping. But the Plastidip kept its colour and texture. When I take the plastidip off it is a bit harder.. but It is still pliable and easy to take off.
    53mm TB, M1, Spintech Mids/Exhaust, Full Hotchkis TVS and 20" Reps... More to come.

Instagram https://instagram.com/canadian_rt/
    2014 Ram 5.7 - DD
    01 Dakota R/T - Casually Driven
    90 Ram 318 - Show Truck

Status

What is Dip Coat?

Status

It's the spray "wax" that you apply after you clean it. I don't think technically it is a wax, but it has a similar effect, causes water to bead, makes the surface easier to glide things on.

OG DRTC

Status

It's also used as sort of a quick detailer type product.

Status

Ok cool thanks for the Info thinking about diping mine in the deep sea pearl went to there site today.

I like free kittens

Status

Old thread. Didn't read all 7 pages...

When removing dip, spray it with a light coat of WD40. it melts away and allows you to wipe it all up with paper towels.

That is.... If it doesn't peel off like it does in all those you tube videos. Mine was thin in some spots and didn't want to peel off in one sheet. read about the WD40 trick on a forum
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

Not quite a year, but I still haven't peeled mine off. Was thinking of redoing it when the weather cools down, but I think it would be easier to peel in this Texas heat. In very few spots (inner fenders) it has started to peel a little bit, still feels very flexible. That's through Texas winter (sub 20's, at least a month or more worth of snow) and most of a Texas summer (100* plus).

While I won't know exactly how easier it will peel until it comes time, I have in fact removed it from my cars wheels, that had been dipped for over a year. Got new tires and the machine rubbed off the dip on the lip of the wheel, plus it was time for a new color anyway.

another way to make dip easier to remove? dip a few more coats onto whats there and let it fully dry, after about an hour it'll have dried/bonded to the old dip, and all will peel off together. i've used dip multiple times on different areas of vehicles, and it's lasted for up to 3 years (longest time i went without peeling) and when i did go to peel it, it came right off in one big sheet (trunk of my last car) when i originally dipped it, i did 8 coats ont the whole thing.

side note, OP truck looks good
    '99 R/T CC MSD coil & 8.5mm wires
    '14 Sonic RS show car/fuelly/roadtripmobile/used to be DD/auto-x toy

Status

I've only been here a few days and I'm already learning new stuff. I've never heard of this Plastidip product before, although I have read up quite a bit on the Rustoleum paint jobs and roller painting. I think Hot Rod magazine had an article about it years ago.

The flat black truck looks a lot like my truck, but I'm pretty sure mine is paint. The previous owner said it was that way when he bought it two years ago and he just left it as is. This is a picture that he used in his ad. I just bought it on Monday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Status

I have plastic dip on the bumper cover of my ram, it gets a lot of abuse but still looks good, impressed with it.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3