+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dipped my truck

R/Tless...for now

Status

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdak360 View Post
    Looks good, i have a 98 cavalier beater and the clear is gone, doubting the plasti-dip would hold up to a Michigan winter though
    For a beater, I'd go with the Rustoleum roller paint job, cheaper and easier, but permanent unlike the plastidip, and you can't paint over it if you decide to go with a professional paint job later (it's enamel), you'd have to strip it all off. I did it on the '98 and its held up great for two years. It faded a lil bit, but I also never waxed it like I was planning to do, that might have helped. I'm going to put a couple of fresh coats on when I put the flares on, so everything matches. It cost me $50 for all of the supplies and I have enough left to paint a few more cars if I wanted.

-Dave-
    '01 QC 4x4 33s
    '98 RC V6

I like it. I will be dipping mine this spring.
    HTTP://WWW.BRIANESSER.COM
    2000 Dodge Dakota RC, 5.3/4L80e, Twin 69mm, A2W, 2x44mm Gates/50mm BOV, E85, MS3x/Microsquirt

HTTP://WWW.PART-TRACE.COM
    Casting Number Database Project - Over 11,000 Casting, Part #, Engine ID and RPO Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by bad360rt View Post
    For a beater, I'd go with the Rustoleum roller paint job, cheaper and easier, but permanent unlike the plastidip, and you can't paint over it if you decide to go with a professional paint job later (it's enamel), you'd have to strip it all off. I did it on the '98 and its held up great for two years. It faded a lil bit, but I also never waxed it like I was planning to do, that might have helped. I'm going to put a couple of fresh coats on when I put the flares on, so everything matches. It cost me $50 for all of the supplies and I have enough left to paint a few more cars if I wanted.
    It is a running and driving car for 300, cheap is the key here. I would never get it resprayed it has 175,000 miles and some lower rust, but there is literally NO clear on the roof,trunk or hood haha

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44229656@N05/

OG DRTC

Status

You would be surprised what Plastidip will hold up to. As long as you aren't trying to scrape ice/snow off the dipped surfaces it should hold up just fine as long as surface is prepped properly.

Quote Originally Posted by hskr View Post
    You would be surprised what Plastidip will hold up to. As long as you aren't trying to scrape ice/snow off the dipped surfaces it should hold up just fine as long as surface is prepped properly.
    Haha so pretty much gotta be a moron. I only would scrape the glass a snow brush is fine for the body

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44229656@N05/

R/Tless...for now

Status

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdak360 View Post
    It is a running and driving car for 300, cheap is the key here. I would never get it resprayed it has 175,000 miles and some lower rust, but there is literally NO clear on the roof,trunk or hood haha
    Then I'd definitely go the roller route, you can't plastidip a car for $50.

Here's my $500 beater before/after:

-Dave-
    '01 QC 4x4 33s
    '98 RC V6

Status

^looks good. Can't beat the price either.

OG DRTC

Status

At least plastidip can be removed fairly easily should you not like the look or want to change things up down the road. What would it take to properly paint a truck after it has had a cheap roller paint job applied?

the cheap roller job as you call it, is normally a paint like rustoleum. This paint is an oil based product. In order to repaint the truck with a solvent based product after its been painted with rustoleum it would be best to strip it down to bare metal to avoid any contamination or adhesion problems between the two types of paint.
    Rob Dunn
    2000 CC RT 408 With 150 Nitrous
    1976 Panther Pink Dodge Dart LA 360
    20013 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi
    2009 Jeep Patroit

OG DRTC

Status

So basically you make a relatively simple re-paint later on into a labor intensive project, Got it.

Blown and Squirted

Status

So basically you make a relatively simple re-paint later on into a labor intensive project, Got it.
    Yeah you go from an expensive paint job, to a REALLY expensive paint job.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

R/Tless...for now

Status

Yup, what Rob said. Perfect for a beater, but not something I would do on a vehicle that I had any intention of putting work into.

FWIW, it's holding up great after almost 3 years of sitting outside, little bit of fade, but still looks good for a beater.

-Dave-
    '01 QC 4x4 33s
    '98 RC V6

Looks good

OG DRTC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 1evilrt View Post
    I sell automotive paint for a living, recently I've been on a few call where the plasti dip didnt come off like it should, in turn these people are now paying for their entire cars to be repainted because the plasti dip had to be sanded off, as stated it works great for a beater but there is a $50k BMW that now needs paint, jus an FYI
    Anyone that opts to have plastidip sanded off is retarded. You do not need to sand it. If it's not coming off easily, you can use naptha to thin it back out and remove it. There is absolutely no need to have it sanded off.

OG DRTC

Status

Then I'd say it was applied incorrectly somehow, or wasn't really plastidip that got put on.

OG DRTC

Status

You are truly unreal.........
    Why, because I don't believe your story of plastidip requiring sanding to remove?

Status

Looks good!

OG DRTC

Status

Because you wern't there to see it, lets face it you have alot of knowledge, BUT, you dont know everything, and your internet google skills have failed you this time, good night Brian, dont let the bed bugs bite
    Sorry my personal experience with Plastidip doesn't satisfy your desire to talk shit about it. As I said before, just because the customer thinks they got plastidip doesn't mean that's what was applied to their cars, or the shop doing it was shady as hell and mixed in too much thinner and it damaged the paint underneath. No google skills required here.

OG DRTC

Status

Well, at least you kept it mature. :rollseyes

OG DRTC

Status

Hmm, seems someone decided to delete some posts.

Status

Hmm, seems someone decided to delete some posts.
    Yep, no sense in jacking this guys thread...

Status

Anyone like to provide a list of items required/optional for a nice dip job?
    1999 Soler Yeller Zcode RegCab.
    Shaved
    Dropped
    Manual Swapped

Quote Originally Posted by Halkese View Post
    Anyone like to provide a list of items required/optional for a nice dip job?
    dipyourcar.com

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    dipyourcar.com
    My man.
    1999 Soler Yeller Zcode RegCab.
    Shaved
    Dropped
    Manual Swapped

OG DRTC

Status

They have a YouTube channel and Facebook page as well. All the info you could ever want

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast