+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dipped my truck

Status

Default Dipped my truck

I know some will hate on me for this, but I think no matter if you hate or love plastidip, think it looks cool or just ghetto and shitty, it was a definite improvement on what my truck looked like before.

My crappy dodge clear coat had been deteriorated by these Texas summers/winters. I had dents and door dings. I've always wanted to try my hand at autobody and paint, so about a year ago, I decided to use my truck as my learning experience. I started by fixing (most of) the dents - crushed in rear quarter panels, various other spots and hail damage. I also started sanding the clear coat down to get the truck smooth again. I never got entirely finished with the project - Texas summers are just too hot to work outside - but I did get most of the damage taken care of. It left my truck a mix of glossy and flat black, primed and spotted like a cow, lol.

So as a cheap temporary solution to get it all one color again, I bought a inexpensive hvlp electric spray gun, 4 gallons of black plasti-dip, and my wife and I went to work.

I actually gave the truck another coat after I took those pics. I'll upload some more with the new hood and all the parts reinstalled. But I'm stoked, I've always loved satin black, but I have some glossifier and some pearl I plan on spraying over it sometime in the near future. The best part is, after I finish my supercharger project and I can spend funds elsewhere, I can peel it all off and take it to get professionally painted.

Enough Show, Need More Go

Status

The pictures actually don't look bad hahah
    1998 Silver RC SLT - Hughes 2.02 Heads, Mopar M1 4bbl Intake, Mopar 4bbl TB, 230/236 .515/.515 on a 110, 1.6 Roller Rockers, 4.10's, Spintech Headers, 3" Duals, X Pipe, Chambered Mufflers, 4/4 Drop, 727 Full Manual w/Transbrake, PTC 4500 Stall

12.90 at 104mph

Status

make sure you hit it with dip-coat! looks good
    1999 solar fire reboot
    Gas-Beat-Repeat

Status

I bought some dipcoat, I can't wait to see what it looks like with the new hood/roll pan installed. From 5-10 feet, you can't see the plastidip texture, but it's definitely there.

I'll post more pics with it cleaned up. Next step it to paint all the chrome, then hit it with the pearl coat.

Status

Looks good Kam, you gonna stick the fender flares back on? You could hit the wheels with a bright silver finish to make them look like the factory RT wheel silver too for an OE look
    HI. I like beer, burnouts, and boobies...

OG DRTC

Status

Looks good. I eventually plan on dipping mine at some point. Probably after I get back to Nebraska and have a garage to work in again. I'd say dip your wheels to. Try the anthracite for the wheels to give a litte contrast to the all black look.

Status

As soon as I can track down those mofos, they'll get painted and put back on. I took them off last year when I started doing the bodywork,and lost them someplace in my parents garage. I actually have black/clear coat to tint the wheels a black chrome color, along with my grill inserts and gas door.

Status

I wish I would have dipped my wheels while they were new, would have protected the chrome from pitting and light scratches. I like their metalizer products, the purple metalizer looks sweet.

When it comes time to dip it, let me know, I have some tips to avoid the mistake I made, since it was my first time using it out of a gun, rather then the can

OG DRTC

Status

I like all the new pearls they have been releasing lately. Will probably end up trying one of those. Did you buy yout HVLP sprayer from DYC, or did you find a cheaper one somewhere else?

Status

I ended up buying a Wagner control sprayer off Amazon for $115 - the gun DYC used to recommend before they got their own branded gun . It sprayed beautifully once dialed in.

I ordered a bunch of sample bags of pearl to mess around wit, but ultimately I plan on using one of their midnight flip pearls couple with black pearl to give it a slight color variation when the light hits it just right.

Banned

Status

How well will it last in the elements? I saw a ram 1500 plastidipped flat balck and after a few months it looked dry and cracked

Quote Originally Posted by Fla View Post
    How well will it last in the elements? I saw a ram 1500 plastidipped flat balck and after a few months it looked dry and cracked
    Then he didnt use a satinizer with UV protection.

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

Looks great man! I'm considering doing mine later on in the year maybe around spring. I need a new paint job but it'll be a while before I can set money aside for that and dipping would be a good temporary solution in the mean time. I got clear coat cancer on the roof,
    "Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul." -Biker Boyz

1999 intense blue regular cab r/t

Old setup: 408, fully forged, half filled block, eddy heads, m1, 236/232 116 .612 cam, 3600 stall, BW S480 turbo, 4" exhaust, 12lbs boost, Flyin' Ryan tuned.

New setup: 345 gen3 hemi, Manley forged pistons & rods, 6.1 crank, 6.1 heads, 6.1 cam, Ritter intake, 727 w/t-brake, BW S480 turbo, Holley dominator efi.

Still building: 5.7 based forged 392 stroker, custom cam, thitek heads, twin s480s, all the boost.

Banned

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    Then he didnt use a satinizer with UV protection.
    Not sure, you are probly right

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fla View Post
    From what I've seen online, it should easily last a couple years, as long as it's sprayed on the right way, and in enough coats. A lot of snowbound states/countries have users that apply it to protect their factory paint jobs, with no issues. My only personal experience is using it on my Infiniti's wheels, and it survived a winter/spring/summer of Texas torment with no problems. If it lasts a year, I'll be happy, and by then, have enough money saved up to get it proffessionally painted, or just peel it off and re-dip it a different color.

OG DRTC

Status

My wheels have been dipped for two years with no issues in the 100+degree dry summer heat of Lemoore, CA, and sitting unwashed for 8 months while I was on deployment during trhw rainy winter months. About as bad of "abuse" as you could put some dip through. Parked outside the whole time.

DRTC #311

Status

I will be dipping my roof before spring. nice work.

Status

I dipped the Bumper cover on my Ram, used the UV top coat...It's been on there for a couple years and it needs to be done again, and while it's ok for that, I would never do a whole truck or major body parts with it, it's impossible to repair a scratch in it worth a fuck.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

OG DRTC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    it's impossible to repair a scratch in it worth a fuck.
    Not impossible, just have to use the right stuff. Get the dip repair kit from DYC.

rub goo gone or similar product on the scratch or damaged area. It re-liquefies the plasti dip and smoothes the edges. let the area completely dry then spray it with dip again.

OG DRTC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
    rub goo gone or similar product on the scratch or damaged area. It re-liquefies the plasti dip and smoothes the edges. let the area completely dry then spray it with dip again.
    I've used brake cleaner before. Spray it on my finger and then rub the peeling area. Have to keep finger wet and as you said, it will melt the dip allowing you to smooth out area, then just throw a fresh coat or two over top the effected area.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by hskr View Post
    Not impossible, just have to use the right stuff. Get the dip repair kit from DYC.
    Dip Repair kit...Who knew?

It's been great on the plastic lower part of the Ram front bumper, shows no rock damage (chips) at all.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Status

Xylene will remelt it, and allow you to fix small portions, or re-smooth areas that are peeling up - had to use this trick where the dip met the bedliner. If I had the money to paint the truck professionally, I would have defintely preferred that, but getting this supercharger on there and the truck tuned is my main priority right now. All in all, I'm happy with the way it turned out, cant complain for the amount of money invested.

Looks good and the more I hear about this plasti dip the more I am impressed with what you can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kamezzle13 View Post
    I bought some dipcoat, I can't wait to see what it looks like with the new hood/roll pan installed. From 5-10 feet, you can't see the plastidip texture, but it's definitely there.

I'll post more pics with it cleaned up. Next step it to paint all the chrome, then hit it with the pearl coat.
    Looks good, i have a 98 cavalier beater and the clear is gone, doubting the plasti-dip would hold up to a Michigan winter though

99 R/T under the knife
    98 Cavalier - DD

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44229656@N05/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast