+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: N.O.S. 2001-2002-2003 46RE trannys $1000 from Dodge

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Steve '02CC View Post
    I know nothing about maintaining a tranny other than it has fluid inside and a solenoid pack that costs $350 to replace. Is this some sort of rubber seal? If so is this something that time has caused to break down? Is it a PITA to change if the tranny has not yet been installed?
    Ok so here is my theory:

The front seal is destined to fail in all of these units because of the white plastic cone in the pics. It slides over the splined input shaft and spreads the rubber seal much in the same way the converter hub does when inserted. Sitting on a shelf for twelve years in that manner has deformed the front seal. I had not even got seven quarts of fluid in it before it started puking in the drive. It ended up taking a total of twelve quarts to fill the tranny with new cooler lines installed. I have done these before and Im sure I did not damage the seal installing the torque converter. Rear seal failure can be corrected without having to remove the tranny so no big deal there.

The red ring is the front seal that failed me. If you cant do the work donnt be affraid to contact a local trans. shop to do it for you. Would be easy now before it goes in.

Its working great and it is plug and play on intended applications.

As always, enjoy the pics.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Motorhead; 09-30-2014 at 04:41 AM.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    Ok so here is my theory:

The front seal is destined to fail in all of these units because of the white plastic cone in the pics. It slides over the splined input shaft and spreads the rubber seal much in the same way the converter hub does when inserted. Sitting on a shelf for twelve years in that manner has deformed the front seal. I had not even got seven quarts of fluid in it before it started puking in the drive. It ended up taking a total of twelve quarts to fill the tranny with new cooler lines installed. I have done these before and Im sure I did not damage the seal installing the torque converter. Rear seal failure can be corrected without having to remove the tranny so no big deal there.

The red ring is the front seal that failed me. If you cant do the work donnt be affraid to contact a local trans. shop to do it for you. Would be easy now before it goes in.

Its working great and it is plug and play on intended applications.

As always, enjoy the pics.

Rear seal doing fine? Got a part # for the seal?

2003 CC
    360 Swapped, FRP Tuned, 2.02 EQ Heads, 210XP cam, HS 1.7 RR's, Fastman 52mm TB, Mopar 2bbl M1, Mopar/PPH Headers, 2.5" True Dual, X-Pipe, Hooker AeroChambers, Hi Flow Cats, MSD Coil, Cloyes Double Roller Chain, JGC fan, 180F T-stat, Mopar Valve covers, K&N FIPK, PATC 2800 Stall, Martin Saine VB, Mildly built trans, 4.10 gears.
    249 HP/322 TQ FRP Tune (Old build. New build TBD)
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

Red trucks are faster

Status

Hey guys the tranny is in and working great!!

I had to install it twice because of a front seal failure. They are such a bitch that the thought of changing it actually occurred to me before installing the trans.
    Always trust your intuition. Along the way I disturbed a rusty brake line removing the cross member and caused a leak that I had to fix. Also I damaged the external trans cooler changing cooler lines and had to bypass. Went on treasure hunt for CORRECT front seal for tranny. Seal was obtained from tranny shop after trying Dodge and three other parts stores without success. I returned two different junk ass trans jacks to harbor freight and found a killer jack off of craigslist. Anyway will have to follow up or update with more info and pics when I have more time.

Some pics of the 1K-46RE going in

Last edited by Motorhead; 09-30-2014 at 01:15 PM.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SynRG View Post
    Rear seal doing fine? Got a part # for the seal?
    Sure thing the Mopar number is 4531225 for the front seal. This is the pump seal. The rear is holding up and is not subjected to the pressure of the pump/converter.
    Im gonna roll the dice on the rear cause it's easy to change. Give me a couple weeks to knock down 400 miles and I'll look at it again.
    Last edited by Motorhead; 09-30-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Sure thing the Mopar number is 4531225 for the front seal. This is the pump seal. The rear is holding up and is not subjected to the pressure of the pump/converter.
    Im gonna roll the dice on the rear cause it's easy to change. Give me a couple weeks to knock down 400 miles and I'll look at it again.
    Sweet.

Thanks for the heads up!

2003 CC
    360 Swapped, FRP Tuned, 2.02 EQ Heads, 210XP cam, HS 1.7 RR's, Fastman 52mm TB, Mopar 2bbl M1, Mopar/PPH Headers, 2.5" True Dual, X-Pipe, Hooker AeroChambers, Hi Flow Cats, MSD Coil, Cloyes Double Roller Chain, JGC fan, 180F T-stat, Mopar Valve covers, K&N FIPK, PATC 2800 Stall, Martin Saine VB, Mildly built trans, 4.10 gears.
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

OG DRTC

Status

Would be a good time to install the tubular transmission cross member while you are at it.
    http://stores.hi-potek.com/dakota-tu...k-powder-coat/

Yeah, that's cute but it's 20% of the cost of the new transmission and I'm broke after buying the trans. I do like the fact that it gives you more space and clearance for headers and exhaust etc. maybe I'll sell some more of my stuff on craigslist this week.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Are these seals things that are likely to be discontinued or are they fairly generic parts? I've had enough of situations like this: "We carry that in 20mm and 22mm, but you need the 21mm and no one makes that"

OG DRTC

Status

Are these seals things that are likely to be discontinued or are they fairly generic parts? I've had enough of situations like this: "We carry that in 20mm and 22mm, but you need the 21mm and no one makes that"
    As many of these trannys aas there are out there, I'd imagine you shoud never have a hard time finding a seal, especially at a transmission repair shop.

Copied and pasted the part number on eBay and several came up. Got one for $10.

2003 CC
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by hskr View Post
    Would be a good time to install the tubular transmission cross member while you are at it.
    http://stores.hi-potek.com/dakota-tu...k-powder-coat/
    I have already been in contact with Richard about this and the motor mounts. I bet his ears have been burning the last few days as I wish I had his parts now.

Its matter of not having the money for it now, but soon.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Copied and pasted the part number on eBay and several came up. Got one for $10.
    I figured as much. I paid $19 at a local tranny shop but he was the only guy in town sitting on one. Napa, Advance, O'riellys, and Dodge dealership could not provide the seal same day. After all the time spent running around trying to find the correct seal and time lost re-installing the trans, I was happy to pay $19 for the correct seal on the spot.
    Last edited by Motorhead; 10-02-2014 at 05:55 AM.

After all what's nine bucks when your trying to finish a project. I believe Jegs has the seal for $13.99, part #683-5126B. Not sure if this is the right one but if it is I don't think we will have trouble finding them as they fit stuff dating all the way back to 1947. And it looks like they are the same seal used in the 727's.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quick update:

I have put 195 miles on the new 46RE and the seals are holding up just fine as seen in the photos. Time will tell about the rear seal as it's still a bit early.

The new tranny does shift better and overall it drives better. I readjusted the tv cable and shift cable as per factory service manual. Going to be kind to it for 500 miles before I test the shift-points with the throttle to the floor.

and now for the pics...

Quick update:

I have put 195 miles on the new 46RE and the seals are holding up just fine as seen in the photos. Time will tell about the rear seal as it's still a bit early.

The new tranny does shift better and overall it drives better. I readjusted the tv cable and shift cable as per factory service manual. Going to be kind to it for 500 miles before I test the shift-points with the throttle to the floor.

and now for the pics...

Crap! I'm going to need a torque converter cover. My 42RE cover wont work

2003 CC
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

OG DRTC

Status

Crap! I'm going to need a torque converter cover. My 42RE cover wont work
    Won't keep you frome installing the tranny and driving it while you wait for a cover. It's just a dust cover.

Status

Does anybody have a current count on how many are left? Want to buy but need $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by dstoots View Post
    Does anybody have a current count on how many are left? Want to buy but need $$$.
    Last I heard was about 175ish.

Sooooo.....

2003 CC
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

Red trucks are faster

Status

Last I heard was about 175ish.

Sooooo.....
    Lmao.....

1.) $1000 for a brand new oem Dodge tranny

2.) No shipping from local dealership.

3.) No core charge.

4.) Comes with new torque converter and bolts.

5.) Comes with nice enough crate to store/ship old tranny out for performance rebuild.

6.) Complete and ready to install, except that I would highly recommend replacing the front seal beforehand.

7.) Fastest turn around time of any other option for replacement.

R.I.P.
    The end????
    Last edited by Motorhead; 10-03-2014 at 06:01 AM.

Don't stop
    Beeeeeeeee-lieving

I just ordered mine from a dealership here in Florida without any trouble. My thinking was like what was written above: no vehicles built today use this tranny therefore it cannot be used in a new unsold car, so what would ever come of these? Would they sit in storage forever? It wouldnt make sense, but then big companies can be as bureaucratic and illogical as government so I could see these sitting in storage forever.

Btw the guy who sold me mine told me the box with tranny is 240-some pounds.
    Hey Steve if you don't mind which dealership did you use.Thanks Robert

Quote Originally Posted by 99rtcc View Post
    Any Dodge dealership can get it for you for $1000 + tax.

2003 CC
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Fields Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in Sanford
    750 Towne Center Blvd
    Sanford, FL 32771
    407-878-7710

I don't have my receipt in arm reach but I think it came to $1065 after taxes, but it was supposed to arrive by the end of the week but I haven't heard anything about it being ready yet.

Cool,thanks.I had hoped it was not the ass hats here in Deland.Fields is right down the street from work.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Cool,thanks.I had hoped it was not the ass hats here in Deland.Fields is right down the street from work.
    Where do you work? I wouldn't mind meeting up and seeing your rt.

I'm in, just picked it up this afternoon. Strange though, I asked the parts guy how many were left and he said Zero. I said there was a 176 the other day and he said all the stuff about for use with new installs only etc. and said maybe they changed the part number to clarify the sale of these old units. Anyone else checked availability lately?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast