+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: N.O.S. 2001-2002-2003 46RE trannys $1000 from Dodge

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Quote Originally Posted by spence340 View Post
    Why don't you ask about the 42RE, the parts guy wont bring it up, what does he care? Who knows, if there are left over 46's there may be left over 42"s.
    I'd like my truck to eventually become an RT clone and I know that the 46RE is what the RTs use. The problem is that I don't have the funds to do a complete v6 > v8 swap, with my mileage hitting 170k I believe tranny trouble is right around the corner, but I believe my engine will run for much longer. Therefore I feel like I must take advantage of this cheap RT-compatible tranny, keep it in mothballs until my tranny starts to die, and then use it with my v6 for a little while until someone on this site finds never-used, straight-from-the-manufacturer 360s for a $1000 for the next part

Also, I wonder if the 42RE would be easy to find in their systems. I gave the sales rep the number posted in this thread and assumed that was why he found it so easily.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jweltch View Post
    I can confirm that a reman cost about $3500 because I bought one for my 01 Durango R/T back in 07. I don't know about current availability.

Having said that, does anyone know if a 46RE is a 46RE (same year) whether its on a 2wd or 4wd? I've never bothered to look at how mine is connected to the transfer case of my Durango.
    I had tranny trouble in my '98 Dakota Sport back in 2009 and was told that a junk yard tranny with unknown mileage would cost about $1800 so that seems believable.

Someone mentioned in another post that there are variations within the 46RE that are above my head, but at this point I think I will be calling that parts guy on Monday to order one.

joma2001

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BLKDAK View Post
    YES you can run a 01-02-03 transmission in a 96-97-98-99 Dakota. You just can't go the other way.
    Found that out the hard way, went to swap a transmission from an 00 I had laying around into my 01, wasn't mechanically experienced at the time so I had a local shop do it, long story short I ended up changing the internals around

Quote Originally Posted by Steve '02CC View Post
    I'd like my truck to eventually become an RT clone and I know that the 46RE is what the RTs use. The problem is that I don't have the funds to do a complete v6 > v8 swap, with my mileage hitting 170k I believe tranny trouble is right around the corner, but I believe my engine will run for much longer. Therefore I feel like I must take advantage of this cheap RT-compatible tranny, keep it in mothballs until my tranny starts to die, and then use it with my v6 for a little while until someone on this site finds never-used, straight-from-the-manufacturer 360s for a $1000 for the next part

Also, I wonder if the 42RE would be easy to find in their systems. I gave the sales rep the number posted in this thread and assumed that was why he found it so easily.
    Yeah, even though I cant really afford it right now I think I might grab one and use it for future use also. I'm glad someone jumped in on the fit for older years because I have a '00. My dealer can get one in 4 days for the $1000, no freight charge, he was surprised there was no core charge and stated they are stocked in Milwaukee.

Thumbs up

This was exactly what I was needing! I was searching for a core that I could rebuild to replace the one in the truck now that's giving trouble and have a spare tranny to rebuild if needed. As soon as I saw this deal I jumped on it! I paid around 600 dollars for a used tranny with 80000 miles on it out of a junkyard a couple years ago because my truck had no trans when I bought it. For a thousand dollars u can't go wrong! Plus no core charge and no shipping fee! The parts man was extremely surprised when he looked it up! There were still 197 units in stock when I ordered mine this morning. As for anyone thinking about it I would jump on this quick! When word gets around about these and how easy they are to get I wouldn't doubt someone or a tranny shop buying a large quantity of these to mark up and resell or even to pull apart and build it up to sell as a brand new performance tranny! And as for them sitting for 11 years, as long as they were well sealed and protected from the elements, which they probable have been stored in a semiclimate controlled warehouse, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Thanks for the tip on these trannies! Much appreciated!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BLKDAK View Post
    YES you can run a 01-02-03 transmission in a 96-97-98-99 Dakota. You just can't go the other way.
    What about 00'?

Status

I just checked with my parts warehouse. I can get one for $880 jobber cost. BUT the won't sell it to me.

Because of this.

Parts guy said there was something weird going on. He's gonna look into it for me.

You may have lucked out getting this trans.

BLACK '02 RC R/T (BLACK N BITTER) 12.5 @ 109 mph. Under the knife again.
    '99 IB RC R/T (Sabrina's truck) 13.8 @ 96 mph SOLD!
    '10 B5 blue pearl Challenger R/T Classic edition. Totaled!!! FML!!!
    '98 CC R/T Bought wrecked. Restoring it.
    '05 WRANGLER (DD)
    '05 HARLEY FXDCI

Status

BLACK '02 RC R/T (BLACK N BITTER) 12.5 @ 109 mph. Under the knife again.
    '99 IB RC R/T (Sabrina's truck) 13.8 @ 96 mph SOLD!
    '10 B5 blue pearl Challenger R/T Classic edition. Totaled!!! FML!!!
    '98 CC R/T Bought wrecked. Restoring it.
    '05 WRANGLER (DD)
    '05 HARLEY FXDCI

GPz550 Addict

Status

Arrrgh!!! I just spent $3400.00 on a Jasper Trans replacement for my 2000. No second gear, and was stuck in P. Had to have it towed to the shop. If I didn't have a shoulder injury, I would have purchased an Martin Saine, or had it rebuilt, and installed it myself. Oh, I forgot to mention that I was in a rental car for 13 days ($400.00), because the trans came from out of state. Now I get buy another valve body to do a Transgo Shift-Kit in it, to make this trans last longer. I lost my modified valve body in the core return.

This trans you post here would have saved be $$$. Guess I am married to my truck now. 114,000 miles on it. PS Pump and PS Rack are next.
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Unhappy

Wow, that sucks. Your not only married to the truck your gonna have to have kids too!

Quote Originally Posted by hnhracing View Post
    What about 00'?
    I'm assuming that BLKDAK just left off '00 by mistake and that it will fit. If you look at the Sonnax bulletin it says '01 and up will fit earlier trans with the kit.

joma2001

Status

Quote Originally Posted by hnhracing View Post
    What about 00'?
    00 was with the 96-99

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

I will be ordering one Monday morning around 11am eastern. I will post my results when I can and will keep this thread up to date if it gets canceled. The post Jim put up makes me think this won't end up happening.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ironsport1000 View Post
    I just checked with my parts warehouse. I can get one for $880 jobber cost. BUTdiscount on't sell it to me.

Because of this.

Parts guy said there was something weird going on. He's gonna look into it for me.

You may have lucked out getting this trans.
    Remember that there are no more new unsold vehicles using this transmission. Also there are no more remanufactured units either. With that said these are game. Dont be afraid of success....order one up with a credit card, if anything goes wrong you can always dispute the purchase and cancel payment.

The paper in the pic ain't gonna stop most dealers from selling them. I know of two Dodge sources that will sell it all day long.
    I realized the value and jumped right on it by ordering asap. I did not worry about a discount and I bought local in case something went wrong. The More time that passes the greater the odds of it ending for a number of reasons such as selling out.
    Last edited by Motorhead; 09-30-2014 at 04:03 AM.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Red trucks are faster

Status

I will be ordering one Monday morning around 11am eastern. I will post my results when I can and will keep this thread up to date if it gets canceled. The post Jim put up makes me think this won't end up happening.
    Cool I want to know what happens......I never stopped believing.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    Cool I want to know what happens......I never stopped believing.
    Don't stop
    Beeeeeeeee-lieving

I just ordered mine from a dealership here in Florida without any trouble. My thinking was like what was written above: no vehicles built today use this tranny therefore it cannot be used in a new unsold car, so what would ever come of these? Would they sit in storage forever? It wouldnt make sense, but then big companies can be as bureaucratic and illogical as government so I could see these sitting in storage forever.

Btw the guy who sold me mine told me the box with tranny is 240-some pounds.

Going to pay my dealership a visit this week.

2003 CC
    360 Swapped, FRP Tuned, 2.02 EQ Heads, 210XP cam, HS 1.7 RR's, Fastman 52mm TB, Mopar 2bbl M1, Mopar/PPH Headers, 2.5" True Dual, X-Pipe, Hooker AeroChambers, Hi Flow Cats, MSD Coil, Cloyes Double Roller Chain, JGC fan, 180F T-stat, Mopar Valve covers, K&N FIPK, PATC 2800 Stall, Martin Saine VB, Mildly built trans, 4.10 gears.
    249 HP/322 TQ FRP Tune (Old build. New build TBD)
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

Red trucks are faster

Status

Don't stop
    Beeeeeeeee-lieving

I just ordered mine from a dealership here in Florida without any trouble. My thinking was like what was written above: no vehicles built today use this tranny therefore it cannot be used in a new unsold car, so what would ever come of these? Would they sit in storage forever? It wouldnt make sense, but then big companies can be as bureaucratic and illogical as government so I could see these sitting in storage forever.

Btw the guy who sold me mine told me the box with tranny is 240-some pounds.
    Heads up!!!!! I had to pull it to replace the front seal behind the converter(pump seal).
    It started leaking on me in minutes. I have done front seals before and I dont believe it failed because of my carelessness. This seal is a pain in the ass to change , so change it before you install it the tranny. No other leaks so far.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    Heads up!!!!! I had to pull it to replace the front seal behind the converter(pump seal).
    It started leaking on me in minutes. I have done front seals before and I dont believe it failed because of my carelessness. This seal is a pain in the ass to change , so change it before you install it the tranny. No other leaks so far.
    I know nothing about maintaining a tranny other than it has fluid inside and a solenoid pack that costs $350 to replace. Is this some sort of rubber seal? If so is this something that time has caused to break down? Is it a PITA to change if the tranny has not yet been installed?

Red trucks are faster

Status

Let me get back to you with pics......I gotta drop her down off the jacknstands from round two and go drive it.

BAM!

Should be here in about a week. They said there's "close to 200 left".

2003 CC
    360 Swapped, FRP Tuned, 2.02 EQ Heads, 210XP cam, HS 1.7 RR's, Fastman 52mm TB, Mopar 2bbl M1, Mopar/PPH Headers, 2.5" True Dual, X-Pipe, Hooker AeroChambers, Hi Flow Cats, MSD Coil, Cloyes Double Roller Chain, JGC fan, 180F T-stat, Mopar Valve covers, K&N FIPK, PATC 2800 Stall, Martin Saine VB, Mildly built trans, 4.10 gears.
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

Quote Originally Posted by SynRG View Post
    BAM!

Make that 199, ordered mine today as well. Actually I think he said there were 196 left.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Quote Originally Posted by spence340 View Post
    Make that 199, ordered mine today as well. Actually I think he said there were 196 left.
    Really? I could have sworn my rep said there were only 174 or 176 left when I looked into it on Friday.

Really? I could have sworn my rep said there were only 174 or 176 left when I looked into it on Friday.
    I guess he was rounding up to the nearest 100th.

2003 CC
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SynRG View Post
    BAM!

Congratulations, welcome to the club. Mine is working well......is plug and play too

Change the front seal out before you install it. Mine failed which requires removal of the transmission to change.

It's worth it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast