+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: N.O.S. 2001-2002-2003 46RE trannys $1000 from Dodge

Red trucks are faster

Status

Default N.O.S. 2001-2002-2003 46RE trannys $1000 from Dodge

Two weeks ago I unexpectedly and without warning lost reverse in my 02 R/T Dakota 46RE transmission.
    More details about the old tranny here: (http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32184)
    All the forward gears and shift points worked fine. I scrutinized the fluid inside and found it to be burnt in color and smell. With 147,000 miles on the original tranny I realized that my daily driver needed more than just a part or two replaced in order to survive.

I was forced to drive the truck 400 miles more while researching all my options. During that time I stumbled across this deal from Mother Mopar. This choice is a cost effective solution and with some coordination it will have the fastest turn around time of all other options. I cant wait on a shop or a professional to rebuild the original tranny because the R/T has daily driver status. Obviously these are OEM trannys and would not be the best pick for high horsepower applications. There are 200 of these units(#5083387-AA) available from any local Dodge dealership for a $1000 ea, plus tax. They are said to fit 01,02,03 ONLY. Anyone buying one of these should verify fitment to their vehicle using the last 8 digits of the VIN and the actual Dodge part or engineering number on your current oem tranny. This new unit comes with some kind of warranty (unsure of), also comes with a new torque converter and bolts, there is NO core and it's utterly complete and ready to install. There should be no shipping if picking up in person at a local dealership. Even the crate is sturdy and reusable enough to send the old tranny out for a performance rebuild.

The only real down side to this is the fact that these units are new-old-stock and have been sitting around for ten or eleven years. Mine is dated 2003. They are sealed up very well and I would not expect any real issues due to age, other than changing the front seal. These trannys are plug and play for the intended applications.

For whatever reason these were to be installed in new unsold vehicles as stated in the paperwork. It basically says that any other vehicle would be required to order and use the remanufactured tranny (part# R2854068RL). So since the remans are no longer available at a whopping $3500, the new units are a bargain.

I suppose it's possible that other years are available too but I really don't have the time to research that with a tranny swap at hand. If someone else finds out I can add the info here.

Any suggestions or info pertaining is welcomed. Enjoy the pics and click on the thumbnails to supersize.

Also, I wil be adding photos and details to this thread as they develop. This is meant to share and to help others like me.

UPDATE: FRONT SEAL FAILED WHILE FILLING WITH FLUID. CHANGE FRONT SEAL BEFORE INSTALLING NEW TRANNY, YOU WILL THANK ME LATER! I believe that the white plastic input shaft guard has deformed the front seals over the years of storage. Plenty of quality time spent installing the 46re a second time. lmao. I recommend the use of a trans jack also and maybe even a friend, just in case.
    Also, you might consider installing a new dipstick tube grommet. I had to reuse my old one and it's working fine, just wish I had a new one in hand.
    Over 250 miles so far and trans is working great. Actually, I can't believe how much better or stronger the truck drives.
    Also, it took 12 quarts of fluid to fill with new cooling lines installed.

SECOND UPDATE 2/7/15:
    Noticed the truck getting kind of slow and non responsive with about 7500 miles on the new trans. Checked and found T.V. cable to be too loose. Adjusted per service manual and she screams again. So, somewhere around the 7000-7500 mile mark one should double check the T.V. cable adjustment.
    After finding a second adjustment necessary, I climbed under the truck only to find that the T.V. linkage had come loose from the input shaft on the tranny. Corrective measures taken and all is well again.

THIRD UPDATE 5/19/15:
    These transmissions can be retro fitted to earlier year apllications with some parts swapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaMan86 View Post
    This is an email i recently got from martin saine about putting a 01-03 case into my 00 truck.

01 trans into 00 truck will require:
    1) 00 Rooster Comb (or as you suggest, my VB with correct arm)
    2) Internal transmission harness on 99 and older only.
    3) Sonnex kit for NSS switch adaptor: http://www.sonnax.com/parts/1821
    4) 00 style NSS

List of known new 46RE owners:

1.) Motorhead
    2.) spence340
    3.) Steve '02CC
    4.) SynRG
    5.) CNTHOOK
    6.) rapidrus
    7.) BLKDAK
    8.) Cregger
    9.) Racer99
    10.) robmitc7
    11.) SupaMan86
    12.) wdh681

IMG]http://www.dakotart.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9883&d=1411683882[/IMG]

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Motorhead; 10-31-2014 at 05:43 AM.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Status

Dam! I guess I'll be calling my warehouse in the AM and see if I can get jobber pricing.

Nice find!

BLACK '02 RC R/T (BLACK N BITTER) 12.5 @ 109 mph. Under the knife again.
    '99 IB RC R/T (Sabrina's truck) 13.8 @ 96 mph SOLD!
    '10 B5 blue pearl Challenger R/T Classic edition. Totaled!!! FML!!!
    '98 CC R/T Bought wrecked. Restoring it.
    '05 WRANGLER (DD)
    '05 HARLEY FXDCI

I'm showing a little wood looking at all those pretty OEM parts at such a bargain price. Might have to sell some stuff to get the cash to pick one of those up for future use.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ironsport1000 View Post
    Dam! I guess I'll be calling my warehouse in the AM and see if I can get jobber pricing.

Nice find!
    Thank you sir.... just sharing the love.

Even the sun shines on a dogs,.. er, Dodges ass some days.
    Last edited by Motorhead; 09-26-2014 at 04:14 AM.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Status

The first hit I found for an online dealer has them for $900 but hard telling what shipping will be.
    http://www.autopartsmopar.com/oe-mop...str=5083387-AA

'99 Custom R/T --1.92 heads, m1 2bbl, 52mm f&b, Mike Leach headers, Mopar 2400 stall, 4.56 rear, Comp cams custom grind cam, 1.6 roller rockers, K&N FIPK, Mopar PCM, MSD 6A, 24lbs injectors, APS trans, Flex-a-lite 180 fan

Status

They are located in Dallas TX

Can the 01+ trans be converted to use in a 2000?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert
    Nope. No engineers here. We're all just a buncha dum red neck monkeys scratching our asses and flinging poo at each other, wondering why our magnums are slow, expensive, and can't get good MPGs

Quote Originally Posted by CNTHOOK View Post
    Can the 01+ trans be converted to use in a 2000?
    Its a different case - so in short no but a 2000 can be made to work with 98-99 and vice versa just switching out a sensor.

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    Its a different case - so in short no but a 2000 can be made to work with 98-99 and vice versa just switching out a sensor.
    Thanks that's what I needed to know
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert
    Nope. No engineers here. We're all just a buncha dum red neck monkeys scratching our asses and flinging poo at each other, wondering why our magnums are slow, expensive, and can't get good MPGs

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrohog View Post
    The first hit I found for an online dealer has them for $900 but hard telling what shipping will be.
    Any way of telling if he has access to the older transmissions at that price?

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by spence340 View Post
    Any way of telling if he has access to the older transmissions at that price?

You need a Dodge parts look up by the last eight digits of your vin and most likely they will want the tranny part number or "engineering number" stamped on the drivers side case lip right above the pan like in this pic. Ignore the letters "PK" and start with the number 5 and you should have a total of 8 numbers ending with two letters. Once you are sure you have the correct number then you can price shop. This is why most parts departments at dealerships don't like giving out Dodge part numbers.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrohog View Post
    That was the first thing I did when I got the current part number.....google it. In the end I went with the local dealer to save headaches.

What I found is $825 but you have to pay shipping and probably tax too. If anything goes wrong its easier to drive 15 minutes back to local dealer for a return rather than piss around shipping one back and waiting for credit.

Here is the above mentioned link I found:

http://www.partswebsite.com/dcjparts...5083387AA.html
    Last edited by Motorhead; 09-26-2014 at 06:20 PM.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Any chance one of these would work with a 2002 with a v6? What would the normal price of a transmission like this normally be?

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Steve '02CC View Post
    Any chance one of these would work with a 2002 with a v6? What would the normal price of a transmission like this normally be?
    Would be best to look up part number by last 8 of vin.

I'm sure someone here can confirm that the re-manufactured tannys were $3500 and are no longer available. I don't see why one of these wouldn't have fetched $4000-5000 (or more) at some point back in the day. The real question is why are they so cheap?? Hell it cost $1000-1200 to have one professionally rebuilt using oem type parts.
    Last edited by Motorhead; 09-26-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BLKDAK View Post
    Good info....

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Dumb question time since this popped up so fast and the upcoming, inevitable death of my transmission has become something I think about a hell of a lot after hitting 170,000 recently:
    1) What is reasonable to expect from a tranny that's been sitting around motionless for 12 years? Is it dry, meaning no tranny fluid?
    2) How much do you think that weighs?

I really want to get one, find some place to keep it, and wait for my tranny to die and then get it installed.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    I'm sure someone here can confirm that the re-manufactured tannys were $3500 and are no longer available.
    I can confirm that a reman cost about $3500 because I bought one for my 01 Durango R/T back in 07. I don't know about current availability.

Having said that, does anyone know if a 46RE is a 46RE (same year) whether its on a 2wd or 4wd? I've never bothered to look at how mine is connected to the transfer case of my Durango.
    Jason Weltch (Another Jason!)
    Maricopa, AZ
    -Black 2003 CC Dakota R/T 59,000mi (Under the knife for a long time, unless I hit the lottery or something.)
    -Blue 2014 Hemi Ram 1500 26,000mi
    -Silver 2014 Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee ​60,000mi
    -Red 2001 Durango R/T
    240,000mi (SOLD)

Red trucks are faster

Status

Dumb question time since this popped up so fast and the upcoming, inevitable death of my transmission has become something I think about a hell of a lot after hitting 170,000 recently:
    1) What is reasonable to expect from a tranny that's been sitting around motionless for 12 years? Is it dry, meaning no tranny fluid?
    2) How much do you think that weighs?

I really want to get one, find some place to keep it, and wait for my tranny to die and then get it installed.

Steve, I am not a trans expert, all the more reason this deal is even more appealing to people like me. My original tranny is taking a slow shit on me now with 147,000 on the clock. There was no time to contemplate in my situation because of the vehicle being a daily driver.

With that said, I have wondered about the repercussions of a new unit sitting for 12 years myself. They are semi dry, meaning there is some fluid inside the pan. Now the fluid itself has a clear, slight gold hue to it. I would assume it's fluid that remains from testing after assembly and not really intended to protect during storage. These new trannys have not been subjected to heat or vibration and the rubber seals have been coated with a preservative.

As far as weight goes, I have no way of weighing this stuff right now.
    The trans is 80-100 lbs. by itself. The torque converter is 25 lbs. and the crate is about 35 lbs.

All together I would estimate the entire package at 150-175 lbs.

If I pick up a new set of scales I will weigh each separately for you.

Oh, any and all transmission guys who do this kind of work are welcome to chime in with their insight and experience.
    Last edited by Motorhead; 09-26-2014 at 06:23 PM.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

I went to my local Dodge dealership where they confirmed the price and 174 units available. He refered to. As the strangest thing he had ever seen because the rebuilds are close to $4000.

My issue is that my vin showed I have the 42RE and these are the 46RE. The rep said that he thought I would need a new computer and possibly other stuff, but that this tranny bolts on the exact same way. I called my mechamic and he did not know what would be involved with the change, and the well-respected tranny shop I used in 2009 is now out of business. So what surprises would be in store for me if I made this change?

Red trucks are faster

Status

I went to my local Dodge dealership where they confirmed the price and 174 units available. He refered to. As the strangest thing he had ever seen because the rebuilds are close to $4000.

My issue is that my vin showed I have the 42RE and these are the 46RE. The rep said that he thought I would need a new computer and possibly other stuff, but that this tranny bolts on the exact same way. I called my mechamic and he did not know what would be involved with the change, and the well-respected tranny shop I used in 2009 is now out of business. So what surprises would be in store for me if I made this change?
    I don't know what kind of suprises you might find doing that swap. Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

It is important to remember that there could be several variations of the 46RE with different tailstocks, valvebodies, neutral switches, gear sets, and torque converters installed. The main case has had a couple of changes between 2000 and 2001.

Did you see if the 42RE is still available new??? If so how much??
    Last edited by Motorhead; 09-26-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jweltch View Post
    I can confirm that a reman cost about $3500 because I bought one for my 01 Durango R/T back in 07. I don't know about current availability.

Having said that, does anyone know if a 46RE is a 46RE (same year) whether its on a 2wd or 4wd? I've never bothered to look at how mine is connected to the transfer case of my Durango.
    Im just sure that there has to be some variables such as the tailstock, sensors, plugs, converter, even clutch packs.

I saw a cross reference chart somewhere that showed my tranny part number was used in some 2001-02 full size vans and trucks.

Unless an expert steps up to the plate it would be best to trust the Dodge part look up method. I've never had a fitment problem that way with Dodge.

All you need is the VIN from both vehicles and look up the part number for each and compare. They could be different numbers and still work, but there will be something physical different between the parts themselves unless the part numbers match.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    I don't know what kind of suprises you might find doing that swap. Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

It is important to remember that there could be several variations of the 46RE with different tailstocks, valvebodies, neutral switches, gear sets, and torque converters installed. The main case has had a couple of changes between 2000 and 2001.

Did you see if the 42RE is still available new??? If so how much??
    I didn't ask anything about the 42RE nor did he bring it up. He was curious as to how I found that number though for this $1000 tranny.

I have no idea what variation of the 46RE I would need. I want to get one of these so bad but I'm not sure if I'm going to end up with something I can't use.

Red trucks are faster

Status

I didn't ask anything about the 42RE nor did he bring it up. He was curious as to how I found that number though for this $1000 tranny.

I have no idea what variation of the 46RE I would need. I want to get one of these so bad but I'm not sure if I'm going to end up with something I can't use.
    As far as the part number goes, that was produced from a 38 year Dodge parts man(not local) based off of the last 8 digits of my VIN. I wondered if this was a secret stash of trannys for some other purpose or wtf Dodge intended to do with them holding on to 'em this long.

After talking to the local parts guy while picking up the trans he admitted that he didn't think to look for a new tranny in the Dodge parts system. So, you need to have someone look to see the price and number for yours so we can tell if this is an isolated case or if it is happening with all the Dodge trannys.

I'm a betting man, and that is usually based on gut feeling and calculated risks. With that said, I personally don't think that one of these N.O.S. units will lose any value. If anything I could see a restoration fanatic paying twice that for one of these new in the box years downs the road. I also think that someone somewhere is going to snatch up as many of these as they can because they are so cheap. I'm also affraid they will hoard them in the hopes of making money in the future.

Once I got my hands on my 46RE I posted the results here and nowhere else.
    Last edited by Motorhead; 09-26-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Here is another pic to share for now.

Why don't you ask about the 42RE, the parts guy wont bring it up, what does he care? Who knows, if there are left over 46's there may be left over 42"s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast