+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Suspension Cab/Body mounts

OG DRTC

Status

Default Energy Suspension Cab/Body mounts

So I've seen it discussed before with no definitive answers so I decided to be a guinea pig and try it out since I don't do things the "right" way and put parts not listed for our trucks on it. The Energy Suspension cab mount kit sold for the 96 and older Dakotas DOES fit on the '97-'03 Dakotas. At least it fit my '00 just fine.

Here are the factory mounts that came off my truck

Front

Rears

Energy Suspension ones

Front

Rear

Accumulating parts...

Status

Gonna check the red truck and see how your old truck mounts are holding up
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Red trucks are faster

Status

Nice work..... the kit came with six mounts right??Edit: assuming you put this on a CC.
    How much did that kit cost and where did you buy yours??
    You live south of the Ohio and or west of the Mississippi??
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    Nice work..... the kit came with six mounts right??Edit: assuming you put this on a CC.
    How much did that kit cost and where did you buy yours??
    You live south of the Ohio and or west of the Mississippi??
    This has been done before ..... Here is the kit Brian used
    http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ens-5-4106g

How does it ride now Brian???

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    How does it ride now Brian???
    Yeah how much difference in the ride??
    Mines got about 150,000 now, so this would be in order.
    Thanks for the pics and the part numbers.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

OG DRTC

Status

Yes came with 6 mounts. I paid $13 off amazon for the kit cause it was listed as used/like new but it had never been installed on anything. Didntveven look like bbox had been opened.

OG DRTC

Status

Can't say I noticed much difference in "ride".

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by hskr View Post
    Yes came with 6 mounts. I paid $13 off amazon for the kit cause it was listed as used/like new but it had never been installed on anything. Didntveven look like bbox had been opened.
    Nice score...
    I wondered wtf was up with that "used like new"description on the box in the picture.

Can't say I noticed much difference in "ride".
    I would have thought you might notice something after seeing what looks like to be 3 blown-out, cracked rubber mounts in your pics.

Did you remove all the bolts on the mounts before jacking up the cab??
    How high did you have to raise the cab to sneak the old ones out??

OG DRTC

Status

Did one side at a time. Used my small 1.5ton hydraulic jack and a 2' piece of 4x4 to jack up the cab. It maxed out the height on my little jack to get it up high enough to get the upper portions of mounts out and I have the Hotchkis kit on truck. Didn't need to jack up frame at all.

OG DRTC

Status

Nice score...
    I wondered wtf was up with that "used like new"description on the box in the picture.
    Yeah, wasn't really wanting to pay $50+ for something that "might" work as, despite what Todd said, I have never seen any posts from anyone on any Dakota forum about actually buying the kit and installing it on the '97-'03 trucks, just people asking if it would work. So wasn't sure if it would work or not. I had compared the rear cab mounts at a junkyard and knew they were the same so hoped the others would work as well. But for $13 I was willing to take the chance.
    I would have thought you might notice something after seeing what looks like to be 3 blown-out, cracked rubber mounts in your pics.
    The first picture of the rear mounts was from the passenger side. Which is also the side where you get the infamous cab pop on the club cab trucks. So I'm 100% positive this kit will eliminate the cab pop. And Not sure what "difference" it would make it just driving around other than more vibrations/road noise transferred to the cab, and maybe slightly less frame flex, but already having the Kenny Brown X-brace I don't get much frame flex as it is.

Brian it was quite some years ago on dakotausa or bionic dodge I believe. The reason I know is I bought that very kit and it's in my garage right now years ago after I read that post. As I had the cab pop issue and hoped it would resolve it.

Either way you are one in the few who have used it on a newer dak.

Glad to know it should work on a 2k

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Red trucks are faster

Status

........ And Not sure what "difference" it would make it just driving around other than more vibrations/road noise transferred to the cab, and maybe slightly less frame flex, but already having the Kenny Brown X-brace I don't get much frame flex as it is.
    That would have been my first guess. That the chassis and or cab feels more solid. Im sure the x-brace would compensate for weak cab mounts to some degree if not all.

Either way im game now....

On a side note I wonder if anyone has ever contacted the manufacturers about all the potential sales they could of had if they would list them as fitting up to 2003???

OG DRTC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    Brian it was quite some years ago on dakotausa or bionic dodge I believe. The reason I know is I bought that very kit and it's in my garage right now years ago after I read that post. As I had the cab pop issue and hoped it would resolve it.

Either way you are one in the few who have used it on a newer dak.

Glad to know it should work on a 2k
    Ah, yeah, I rarely checked DakUSA and never joined Bionic Dodge.

OG DRTC

Status

At first I was a little disappointed that it wasnt going to work as I was trying to put one of the front mounts in the rear location and the hole in the frame mount was smaller than the metal ring on bushing. Then I remembered there were the two smaller diameter bushings in the box.

Accumulating parts...

Status

Never heard of cab pop before. Where does the noise come from? Not sure I've heard it. Only issue I've had is driver door flexes over speed bumps.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

OG DRTC

Status

Usually happened when pulling into uneven driveways as the frame flexed. The cab mount would make a "pop" sound. There was a TSB about it in which the dealers would remove the metal cup with the center piece that went through the bushing and grind some off of it so it wasn't as long. TSB #236597. My '99 did it, but never noticed it on my '00, but I have had the Kenny Brown x-brace on it as long as I have owned it.

OG DRTC

Status

That would have been my first guess. That the chassis and or cab feels more solid. Im sure the x-brace would compensate for weak cab mounts to some degree if not all.

Either way im game now....

On a side note I wonder if anyone has ever contacted the manufacturers about all the potential sales they could of had if they would list them as fitting up to 2003???
    I've done this for a few items in past, and unless they were a small time outfit, never got any response. They can't technically sell it for fitting model years they haven't done testing on themselves, which requires more than just seeing if it fits.

The only company that ever did anything about one of my suggestions was Billet Tech for some of their underhood billet items. And even then, they put up a Dakota section on thier webpage for about a month then took it back down citing lack of sales, even though they never advertised it anywhere. You can still buy all the Billet Tech items that fit our trucks if you know what to buy, so it's not like they were making anything specific for our trucks they were loosing money on in stale inventory.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Sick 660r did this last year: http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...ht=body+mounts

I also carry those body mounts: http://stores.hi-potek.com/body-mounts/

I plan on changing mine out in the near future too.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    Sick 660r did this last year: http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...ht=body+mounts

I'm liking the red ones Richard.
    Do you keep red on hand??

Supporting Vendor

Status

I'm liking the red ones Richard.
    Do you keep red on hand??
    They are readily available Chris. If I am out of them I can drop ship directly from the manufacturer.

Red trucks are faster

Status

They are readily available Chris. If I am out of them I can drop ship directly from the manufacturer.
    Thank you sir, will be ordering soon.

.......... but already having the Kenny Brown X-brace I don't get much frame flex as it is.
    I'm just sure that the frame flex on the Dakotas was the main reason Dodge used rubber hose ends on the transmission lines.

OG DRTC

Status

He said something about have ng to use a grinder on something. I didn't have to grind or modify anything. They dropped right in.

Status

Bringing this thread back from the dead... I went to install my gen 2 ES bushing today. The FRONT fit perfectly dropped right in but the rears im having trouble with. The FACTORY bushing is about 1/4 shorter than the replacement bushing so I tried grinding it down to same height but the tapered part of the top bushing holder (for lack of a better term) prevents it from now being seated all the way. With the ES bushings in I could definitely see that the crease running along cab and the bed were now offset, with the stock bushing back in it lined up perfectly. Im going to take it to a machine shop and have them open the hole up and turn the bushing down that should get them to sit at the correct height. Maybe its different for a CC, but for my RC the rears need some minor work.
    HI. I like beer, burnouts, and boobies...

Accumulating parts...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by dakrt23 View Post
    Bringing this thread back from the dead... I went to install my gen 2 ES bushing today. The FRONT fit perfectly dropped right in but the rears im having trouble with. The FACTORY bushing is about 1/4 shorter than the replacement bushing so I tried grinding it down to same height but the tapered part of the top bushing holder (for lack of a better term) prevents it from now being seated all the way. With the ES bushings in I could definitely see that the crease running along cab and the bed were now offset, with the stock bushing back in it lined up perfectly. Im going to take it to a machine shop and have them open the hole up and turn the bushing down that should get them to sit at the correct height. Maybe its different for a CC, but for my RC the rears need some minor work.
    Purchased these just a couple weeks ago. Good to know, hope you find a solution. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to install mine since I'm doing ball joints and the whole ES kit together.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

"Bleach Master"

Status

Are the core support bushings in the kit also?
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast