+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 99 dakota rt '03 front brake swap

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    The powder coater should have special high heat tape that they cover areas not to be coated.
    I didn't know that, I will check with him when I drop them off.

I know this thread is old, but I thought I could use it as my guide and update everyone here on the progress.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Very Nice.

Looking at Rock Auto, there are a few different manufactures (or distributors) of front brake lines. Is Doorman okay to get?

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Hi Mike, just chiming in here, no need to remove spindles for powder coat, easy to mask or sometimes coaters will just vacuum the powder from the areas they want uncoated.
    When upgrading the knuckles, the ball joints, tie rods, and brake lines need to match the '03-'04 style as well FYI.
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Quote Originally Posted by JDreamR/T View Post
    Hi Mike, just chiming in here, no need to remove spindles for powder coat, easy to mask or sometimes coaters will just vacuum the powder from the areas they want uncoated.
    When upgrading the knuckles, the ball joints, tie rods, and brake lines need to match the '03-'04 style as well FYI.
    I read the 2001 and up ball joints and tie rods were the same. I'll have to go back and check.

Quote Originally Posted by musky mike View Post
    I read the 2001 and up ball joints and tie rods were the same. I'll have to go back and check.
    I looked at Advance auto, ball joints have the same part number, tie rod ends had different numbers. 2001 Dakota uses the same tie rod end on both sides, 2003 Durango uses a right/left. Reading old posts, looks like everyone used their old tie rods, at least 2000 and up. 98 and 99 were hit and miss what everyone did.

- Out of all the posts I read, only one person had fitment problems. His stock rims hit the calipers/brackets, he got his caliper/brackets from NAPA, not off a Durango. Not sure what happened with that one.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...ht=front+brake

My knuckles have the wheel hubs on them, I'm going to mach-up both sides up and install wheel. I'll check to make sure everything is good before I take everything to powder coat.

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

I'm using stock '98 everything (except brakes, obviously, but that's all Mustang stuff) with '03 spindles without issue. For the record, the spindles DO press out if you ever need them to.

Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2