+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: cylinder head replacement options

Status

I may get spintech Mids, but I know the firing order is right. I am going to do a vacuum and comp. Test shortly. But I KNOW my injectors are good. Just put new wires on. Comp. Test will tell the truth though. Seems some of you guys, not saying names are here to hate, but ill have to say the work I have done to this truck so far is more than half of the guys on this forum have done themselves. So, I'm proud to be a part of Dakota rt forum. Back on subject though, I do have the 5.2 tranny behind it. If it goes out, ill throw a rebuilt 46re with a shift kit behind it no biggie. For those guys out there to help guide me where I want to be on my DD, thanks. I do really appreciate it. The rest of you guys can suck it!

Status

New injector wires? How did you splice them in?
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Quote Originally Posted by RTchas View Post
    The only stupid question's are the one's you don't ask, I guess you where born with knowledge of every Engine mod and what work's

While it can get old answering "what's the best spark plug and TB spacer" the OP is on a budget and try'n to find what works best for his build.

Why knock him for that? We've all been there at one time

If your sick of it move on to the next thread or you could just try to help them out...
    i actually agree with chas on this
    Brad
    00 CC IB sport 360
    98 RC white sport mildly worked v6, used as a truck!

Status

To the OP:
    How do you know the injectors are good ?
    You are running a 5.9 on a 5.2 PCM, that MAY be part of the CEL problem ? Maybe ?
    I have turned a injector 90degrees and made a missfire go away, maybe that's worth a try, also when you have multiple missfires on the same bank it might be only one cyl doing it, on mine cyl. 2 missfires P302, and sometimes it shows P306 also, the PCM is not all that accurate when its setting miss codes, its a pretty complex proedure for the pcm to decide what cyl is missing and sometimes it gets it wrong, so clear the codes and try again to see what's really missfiring,
    Good Luck.
    G-Man
    I just went back and looked, yours is missing on Cyl. 5 and 7? Those are right next to each other so doublecheck the spark plug wires. Also those. Fire in that order too. Sounds like a easy fix.

Status

Thanks for the advice. Ill triple check everything. And I got new plug wires. Not inj wires

Status

Just checked firing order. Its correct. Moved injectors around a bit. They are good. Comp test now :/

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Blue00 View Post
    if you want to test your luck with clearwater cylinder head "CCH" then be my guest. maybe just wanting a stock setup heads wont be too difficult for them to do considering they have a hard time trying to setup up heads for non-stock cams.

if ya have a chance to get oversized valves, why not?
    troof^^^^

the fucked me bad and cost me an engine, the poor thing didn't last 5000 miles
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JeepJeepster View Post
    What kind of issues have you heard of? I just dropped mine off at the machine shop about a week ago (EQ with 2.02 valves). Ive read about clear water installing springs that are too light for the cam but other than that?

Do you know if my jeep will be ok without those little spark plug boot protectors in the head?

How about telling them you're running a cam that has .520 lift and the heads they send you go into coil bind @ .485 ? To it's credit, the engine ran strong for almost 5000 miles before it started puking oil out the breathers.
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Status
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jassole View Post
    How about telling them you're running a cam that has .520 lift and the heads they send you go into coil bind @ .485 ? To it's credit, the engine ran strong for almost 5000 miles before it started puking oil out the breathers.
    I heard of a recent run of screwed up guide's

00 FR RC Dakota R/T Turbo 11.56@118

99 Amethyst RC Dakota R/T 1-170 13.84@98

P.I.E. tuned cause Flynn is for the Birds if you wanna Run Fast have some PIE !

Just call me George W

Status

ok, heres a bulletin... just changed the oil to get the first flush out of the way. good to go. I changed #5 and #7 plugs since they are cheap. New cap and rotor. Still misfiring. I'm almost 100% sure that i dont have a vacuum leak, I have developed an ear for vacuum leaks over the last few years anyway lol. So, I'm sure its low on vacuum due to the misfire. But the compression test tells all. I'm about 99% sure its in the heads/headgasket now. maybe its leaking between cylinders...idk yet. I couldnt imagine it being because of the 5.2 pcm... But Tuesday is my next day off work. Ill run the test and that will tell the tale lol. Ill keep you guys updated

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RTchas View Post
    I heard of a recent run of screwed up guide's
    that's not recent, that's been from the beginning. initially they were too tight. now Chris says he's been having to shim them because they are far too loose. He doing a set for Friggin' R/T as we speak.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Blue beast View Post
    Another thing is the stock heads only flow about 200 cfm, and while they may be enough for some don't expect the truck to be really any faster than 13s irregardless of the cam you'd use. What headers are you considering? Shorties? Spintech?
    Irregardless isn't a damn word, :idunno
    99 R/T RC IB
    Megasquirt II
    53%
    The eternal realist, If you don't like what I have to say put me on your ignore list

Status

My eq castings(bought bare) needed milled .015".
    99 R/T RC IB
    Megasquirt II
    53%
    The eternal realist, If you don't like what I have to say put me on your ignore list

Status

Quote Originally Posted by skunkxracing View Post
    Irregardless isn't a damn word, :idunno
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Thought i did all of my research but this is the first ive read about people having issues with eq heads. I stopped and talked to the machine shop to make sure they check the springs and valve guides. Got me nervous now.
    1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9 W/Stuff

Status

you might just be best off to buy them bare and have someone you trust finish the build. at any rate, you need to have them thoroughly checked before they get bolted on

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BLKDAK View Post
    What plugs are being used in this engine?

To the OP, you do realize that 99% of all 318/360 magnum head castings are cracked.
    Not usually an issue but no point in buying a set of used heads that are bogus in the first place let alone spending money on shipping them.
    99% are cracked, and 95% of the cracked ones run just fine. The only problem I had was the machine shop wouldn't do any work on a cracked head,
    Both of the heads on my R/T were not cracked when I ported them, they probably are now and it runs fine. Even with a little/Lot of N2O
    G-Man
    Oh yea, to the OP: I have a the set of heads that came off my rt, they were fine when I took them off, I would probably let them go for a few bucks, and they are here in Pensacola

Status

The point I was trying to make is that I see the OP asking members to sell their factory heads when in fact they are no better than the heads he has now. The heads he has on his 318 that he swapped out for the 360 are most likely in the same shape as the heads as the heads on his installed engine and the factory magnum heads you or anyone else has laying around their garage.
    Even if he did find a set of factory heads that were no cracked it is only temporarily, torque them down and run a few heat cycles and they will be soon. Investing in them is ridiculous, for what you pay for hardened seats, refreshing/upgrading the springs and other machine shop work does not pay off when you can get a set of EQ's for about the same price. You won't have to do another tear down and waste money replacing head gaskets and fluids after the heads fail and then waste a bunch of time finding another set of heads and doing it all over when you can just do it right the first time.
    Good advice, I agree with all of that.

Status

The point I was trying to make is that I see the OP asking members to sell their factory heads when in fact they are no better than the heads he has now. The heads he has on his 318 that he swapped out for the 360 are most likely in the same shape as the heads as the heads on his installed engine and the factory magnum heads you or anyone else has laying around their garage.
    Even if he did find a set of factory heads that were no cracked it is only temporarily, torque them down and run a few heat cycles and they will be soon. Investing in them is ridiculous, for what you pay for hardened seats, refreshing/upgrading the springs and other machine shop work does not pay off when you can get a set of EQ's for about the same price. You won't have to do another tear down and waste money replacing head gaskets and fluids after the heads fail and then waste a bunch of time finding another set of heads and doing it all over when you can just do it right the first time.
    Agreed
    2000 RC R/T Black 1 of 321

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcrazy View Post
    Agreed
    agreed also. I just wanted to weigh my options...im running 3923 plugs, also i think i may either buy cific bare heads and install stainless valves with local machinework done, or just buy odessa's 600.00 pair of cific heads already machined ready to bolt on, and run them by my local machine shop and have them looked over with a fine tooth comb. You guys are right though, Its my second dodge engine so far that is misfiring. I just picked up the compression tester from autozone today so i can figure out for sure whats going on here. I do wanna thank you guys for all the support and great intellectual power that you guys possess in your cranial lol.

you might just be best off to buy them bare and have someone you trust finish the build. at any rate, you need to have them thoroughly checked before they get bolted on
    if i bought heads from them they would only be bare heads
    Brad
    00 CC IB sport 360

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Blue00 View Post
    if i bought heads from them they would only be bare heads
    I got burned by them, so yeah. To their credit though, once I had my machinist call them and told them what he found, they built me a correct set free. Of course, they did nothing for my brand new shortblock that got destroyed from all the sparkly bits floating around in the oil. You can have them build them, but they NEED to be checked before they are installed.

I got burned by them, so yeah. To their credit though, once I had my machinist call them and told them what he found, they built me a correct set free. Of course, they did nothing for my brand new shortblock that got destroyed from all the sparkly bits floating around in the oil. You can have them build them, but they NEED to be checked before they are installed.
    your the third person i know of that had the same problem
    Brad
    00 CC IB sport 360

Status

ok...did a compression test on all 8 cylinders. here are the numbers
    cylinder 1 165
    cylinder 3 180
    cylinder 5 120
    cylinder 7 125

cylinder 2 170
    cylinder 4 155
    cylinder 6 145
    cylinder 8 140

so. all those numbers. I did my test with the wife on the ignition, using the starter to spin the motor. had the throttle body held open, all injectors unplugged. so, previously stated my 5.9 spit out the p0300, p0305, p0307 codes. Does the 120, 125 psi look to be my problem cylinders due to compression? Just put a tsp of oil on top of 5&7 pistons, results = same psi. Looks like I need to save now cuz the very least i will be changing headgaskets. I dont see myself getting lucky enough for it to be just the headgasket lol.
    Last edited by 97dakota318; 03-25-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Dang Man, those numbers are all over the place.
    1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9 W/Stuff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast