+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.79" crank 360 main group buy

DRTC #149

Status

Default 3.79" crank 360 main group buy

Ok,

Rod Bloomer, at BPE, is willing to work with us and build us the 3.79" stroke forged crank. Let me run down why I think this combo could potentially be a HUGE winner for the Magnums and Dakotas in general.

First, its an intermediate stroke. Gives you some additional torque advantages and the same basic RPM capability as a stock 3.58" stroke, without the drawbacks of a 4" stroke. IE Excessive bore loading, RPM limitations with moderate parts, exceeding readily available head intake port, etc etc etc.

A 4.03" bore nets you a 387 CID. These will come with a 2.1" rod journal, so that you can use a SB Chev 6.125" rod, and a standard 5.7" rod 350 Chev piston to get you at 9.58" overall height, which will be damn close to zero deck on most blocks. Using the SB Chev parts allows greater choices for types of parts used, and in some cases some significant savings if you want to go crazy with rods OR pistons

Initial pricing is $700-$750. This MIGHT go down, but for now that is the price. This will have to be a pre-pay to play situation, as BPE is a small shop. But he does NOTHING but SB Chrysler cranks, so I think we should try to help him out as much as we can as a community, because there arent alot of people that specialize in the SBM.

EDIT: These are the same forgings that K1 and Molnar use... so this is top quality stuff, NOT cheapy Eagle type stuff... FWIW.

So far on the "Yes" list

1) Barry Young
    2) Mark Knapcik
    3) Brian Whitely
    4) Corey Joiner
    5) K* GiantRubberFist ( Maybe )
    6) Skunk
    7) sick660r ( Maybe )
    8) K-fed

Due to popular demand, starting a second list for 318 mains with the 3.79" stroke. Gotta hit 5 of these to make this one happen

1) Brian Onesy
    2) Rawn Naz ( maybe )
    3) Jeff "the" King ( maybe )

PM me, or email me at mopardanno@yahoo.com to discuss any concerns etc.

Lets make this happen!
    Last edited by Danno; 02-25-2014 at 02:18 AM.

99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

[KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

"Bleach Master"

Status

Will this fit LA blocks?
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    Will this fit LA blocks?
    LMAO! Fucker...

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd Crude and Tattooed View Post
    For our club drag classes this puts you in with the 408's and bigger?

Will he donate one for the nats prizes?

Based on the CID calc, yes it would.

I doubt it. He does this after hours in his garage. I am NOT gonna hit him up for a "freebie" at this point. We kinda need to show HIM our loyalty first.. no?

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BLKDAK View Post
    Doesn't Bloomers brother do amazing head porting? Yeah off topic I know.

I think I saw something about that somewhere. Might have been on Moparts when I was reading up on BPE.

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd Crude and Tattooed View Post
    Yup, I changed my post right after. Maybe if you get enough people to do this it might be an option.
    Yeah, would have to be more than 5 or 6 honestly.

Although I think I am going to start using him for more builds for sure. I would rather support a small guy that specializes, than some huge corporate conglomeration.. lol.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, would have to be more than 5 or 6 honestly.

Although I think I am going to start using him for more builds for sure. I would rather support a small guy that specializes, than some huge corporate conglomeration.. lol.
    Agree 100%

"Bleach Master"

Status

On a serious note, will this fit an R/T?

Status

2000 RC R/T Black 1 of 321

DRTC #149

Status

CHECK!

make it bigger STROKE IT

Status

I like option of the 3.79 crank. Definitely a recipe for a nasty build with a nice light rotating assembly. I never really looked at this option when I built my 408.

Forged 408 12.10 @ 111mph under the knife again

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slvr03dakrt View Post
    I like option of the 3.79 crank. Definitely a recipe for a nasty build with a nice light rotating assembly. I never really looked at this option when I built my 408.
    Honestly this is pretty similar of a build to what Brad Ortloff used in his truck. I think his was .060" over, but basically the same shortblock combo. He obviously had W5's, and that made that thing run fucking great.

Ive seen a couple of them over the years, they always seem to be super strong running combos.

gen III traitor

Status

I'm interested. I need to get off my ass and build a decent DD motor designed for moderate boost. Is this really better than a 408 setup if I never plan on going over idk maybe 6k but don't want to freshen it up all the time? I have a set of otb eddies that I would be using and probably looking at 10-12psi with a 226/234 and 565/565 cam.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    I'm interested. I need to get off my ass and build a decent DD motor designed for moderate boost. Is this really better than a 408 setup if I never plan on going over idk maybe 6k but don't want to freshen it up all the time? I have a set of otb eddies that I would be using and probably looking at 10-12psi with a 226/234 and 565/565 cam.
    I wouldn't call it better than a 408, I would say better for sustained high rpm racing.

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

I wouldn't call it better than a 408, I would say better for sustained high rpm racing.
    I agree not better then 408.
    And chad, u had plenty of miles on your 408 and no excessive wear right?

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    Better is subjective. From what I have seen in most cases, 408's tend to be pretty hard on cyl walls. Chad is the notable exception to that so far. This combo will be easier on the walls, but not as easy as a stock stroke either.

IMO for a mild build, that you want a balance of cubes and longevity, this is the right answer. Not saying 408's are bad, because they arent. Just in some cases they are overkill for the desired goals.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by krs1r/t View Post
    I agree not better then 408.
    And chad, u had plenty of miles on your 408 and no excessive wear right?
    Yes, I'm gonna have machine shop check them all more in depth to make sure. That was just one cylinder I was concerned about (number 4).

Status

If their is a "NO" list put me on it!
    1. me. (Aka dick head, asshole, jerkoff, homo. The list never ends)

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup

477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

FOXHOLE RACING
    Chris

PABBADS - "Danno Level 3"

Status

You are what you eat.

Matt
    DRTC # 1163

DRTC #149

Status

Already assumed.

And the rest is all well known. So no fears there.

Status

Webster'sMain Entry: their
    Pronunciation: \thər, ˈther\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from their, pron., from Old Norse theirra, genitive plural demonstrative & personal pron.; akin to Old English thæt that
    Date: 13th century
    1 : of or relating to them or themselves especially as possessors, , or objects of an action <their furniture> <their verses> <their being seen> 2 : his or her : his, her, its —used with an indefinite third person singular antecedent <anyone in their senses — W. H. Auden>
    99 R/T RC IB
    Megasquirt II
    53%
    The eternal realist, If you don't like what I have to say put me on your ignore list

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by skunkxracing View Post
    Etymology: Middle English, from their, pron., from Old Norse theirra, genitive plural demonstrative & personal pron.; akin to Old English thæt that
    1 : of or relating to them or themselves especially as possessors, , or objects of an action <their furniture> <their verses> <their being seen> 2 : his or her : his, her, its —used with an indefinite third person singular antecedent <anyone in their senses — W. H. Auden>

There ya go!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by KotaRT View Post
    You are what you eat.

Absolutely
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Already assumed.

And the rest is all well known. So no fears there.
    You are good!
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkxracing View Post
    Thanks for the English lesson, I'm busy working and just took a minute to shit up danno's thread a little bit. I'll try and be more grammatically correct for you highly educated folks

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup

477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

FOXHOLE RACING
    Chris

DRTC #149

Status

Added list for 318/340 main people. There seems to be enough interest to do both versions

Status

Absolutely

You are good!

Thanks for the English lesson, I'm busy working and just took a minute to shit up danno's thread a little bit. I'll try and be more grammatically correct for you highly educated folks
    So your excuse is that you were time limited, tell me how much time was saved punching in their instead of there?
    99 R/T RC IB
    Megasquirt II
    53%
    The eternal realist, If you don't like what I have to say put me on your ignore list

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast