+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird scratches

Default Weird scratches

Anyone seen anything like this? these scratches are all over my hood and only my hood. not the fenders or body at all. i first noticed them after our first frost here, maybe around November. I have always thought my hood may have been resprayed but i don't know if this proves that or not. as far as i know there was nothing that would cause any scratching. though the summer i had been using the eagle one and or Mcguires wash/wax stuff after a full wash, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

any kind of critters running across your truck at night?

Drops panties faster than any R/T

I cant tell in the pic- if you look really close, are you sure it's scratches or could it be cracks forming in the clear? You mentioned it started when it got cold, cheap paint can crack in cold weather.

Drops panties faster than any R/T

Is it a glass hood?
    Colby
    DRTC#1159
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve '02CC View Post
    Was this an autocorrect error or are you referring to plugging $1 bills up their colon so that they can't poop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    Who R/T'd in your Wheaties?

ok answers.

it's not a glass hood.
    we do have active squirrels but again it's only on the hood.
    i'm thinking it's the clear or the paint. like you mentioned. once it gets warmer i 'm gonna have it truly buffed so i guess i'll figure it out then for sure.

Ahh, should a looked at your picture by your name. Lol.
    I would assume it is clear cracking.... let a local body and paint guy look at it.
    May be fairly easy to correct
    Colby
    DRTC#1159
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve '02CC View Post
    Was this an autocorrect error or are you referring to plugging $1 bills up their colon so that they can't poop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    Who R/T'd in your Wheaties?

Status

It is clear cracking. The only way to fix it is to sand down the hood and either re clear it or if it is too bad repaint color and clear.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

On my old truck I noticed that the flat surfaces were the ones to get clear coat cancer first, and that is probably because flat surfaces don't catch a break when it comes to the sunlight. Have you checked the roof really well? That looks like an after market hood so was it painted separately from the truck (meaning is the truck on its factory paint while the hood was painted somewhere else)?

Real mans truck

Status

It's definitely clear coat cracking. Like was already stated you will have to sand past the cracks then hopefully you can get away with a reclear but I am gonna say you are gonna have to have color and clear reshot. I think it's called crazing.
    98 SS/T Stock 193hp/241lb.ft Best time 60ft-2.32 1/8-10.26@69mph 1/4-15.97@85.5mph

Panty Dropper

Status

or you got a hold of a dirty scrub brush at the car wash. I've seen that happen to people. even if it is the clear cracking its always a safe practice to spray off the scrub brush at the car wash before using
    Customized from head to toe. Truck Trend Magazine Favorite Show Truck From SEMA 2010, Featured in Truck Trend Mag Feb 2011, Feature Article CarAudio Mag and Featured in CarAudio Mag SEMA booth 2010. Truckin Magazine Full Feature issue 12, 2011 & Truckin Magazine Truck of the Year, Named 2012 Mopar Top Eliminator by Chrysler Corporation, Full feature and interview on Solo Films DVD Inspired Lifestyle. Sponsored by Memphis Car Audio, Tuff Stuff Performance, Taylor Wires, Viar Corp, Continental Tires, K&N, North Star Battery & Monzter MotorSports.

A Custom Truck is not created by how big your wallet is. It's the hands on effort you apply from your own ideas. Only then can it be called Custom-- Dynamic Installs

---Under Construction---

Status

You can try to wet sand and buff first, but they look pretty deep. Worth a shot though before a reclear.

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

Real mans truck

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kingst3r View Post
    You can try to wet sand and buff first, but they look pretty deep. Worth a shot though before a reclear.
    This is solid advise as well.
    98 SS/T Stock 193hp/241lb.ft Best time 60ft-2.32 1/8-10.26@69mph 1/4-15.97@85.5mph

Status

I think a car wash is to blame. I've seen those kind of scratches before after coming out of an automatic wash

Real mans truck

Status

I still think it's clear coat cracking. If you look at the cracks/scratches when they intersect the next one they stop. If they were actually just surface scratches they would continue and just change directions those don't they y out.

Bearded Bastard

Status

Its the clear coat going. Mine started like that on the roof of the cab and in the span of 2 years went from that to full on clear coat cancer. Starting to get them at the base of the hood now. Id wager if you look at it in the right light the paint will look really dull and/or cloudy.

US Army Vet and ASE Certified Automotive Technician

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave the world wondering how you did it!

Status

Hit the hood pretty hard today and these cracks will definitely not buff out.
    Washed, clay bared (twice), compound, polished, waxed, and sealed. It's better, but the hood will definitely need a repaint.
    Truck has definitely had a full repaint. Lots of trim pieces on the roof, mirrors, tailgate, etc. are painted that were not from the factory.
    She is looking much better, will get some more work done tomorrow.

Did you wet sand? Some scratches are tough to take out even with a compound. Trying 3000grit and then compound. If that doesn't work then try 25000 grit. Start highest grit and the slowly work your way down.
    1998 RC RT Black

Status

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbcvt View Post
    Did you wet sand? Some scratches are tough to take out even with a compound. Trying 3000grit and then compound. If that doesn't work then try 25000 grit. Start highest grit and the slowly work your way down.
    Did not try the wet sand, but will give it another shot. Thanks!

Status

Wet sanding removes clear coat, as do any polishing compounds. Ive never had a clear coat problem on any of my vehicles and all I use 3m wax, no abrasives in it.
    Last edited by Adobedude; 07-24-2016 at 12:18 PM.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Wet sanding removes clear coat, as do any polishing compounds. Ive never had a clear coat problem on any of my vehicles and all I use 3m wax, no abrasives in it.
    Very true. I find that wet sanding can help get scratches out better. But, if the scratch is through the clear coat and into the paint, then you're screwed.

Hatchman, try to find a detail shop and see if they can take a paint thickness gauge to the hood and see how much clear coat you have to work with. Once you wet sand through the clear coat you'll have to respray the hood.
    1998 RC RT Black

Status

Thanks! There is some major cracking around the Ram emblem on the hood, pretty cancerous. Looks like it needs to be removed and do a respray. Will take her and get some local expert opinions.

Thanks again!
    '03 Stampede Graphite Metallic Dakota R/T CC

FRP tune, M1 2bbl, HiPoTek 52mm TB, K&N 14" Filter, Headers, Flowmaster duals

Was it the clear or scratches

Status

It was the clear. Entire hood (top side anyway) is cracked in the clear. Around the Ram emblem it is cracked really bad, all the way through the clear to the base coat underneath. Got about 7 coats of wax on it right now, ha! Funny thing, when you run water over the hood the cracks almost disappear, but once it dries they show up like a sore thumb. The more wax I put on it (to fill in the cracks) makes it look better, but it's going to need a sand and respray down to the base due to the some of the cracks around the emblem. Can't clear over it, too rough looking.

Will end up getting it sprayed, but have some other mechanical issues to fix first.
    '03 Stampede Graphite Metallic Dakota R/T CC

FRP tune, M1 2bbl, HiPoTek 52mm TB, K&N 14" Filter, Headers, Flowmaster duals

Check out all the top surface mine started with little specs but grew .

+ Reply to Thread