+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loss of Brakes

Default Loss of Brakes

Hi guys

My son took the R/T out and returned it broken. Grrrr-rrrrrrr...................

The brake peddle goes to the floor. He said brake fluid was leaking out on the ground near left front tire.
    So I filled the main and bleed the right rear. It took a whole container of fluid to get the air out. Next I went to the left rear without luck, then the left front and couldn't bleed it down either.

So how do I determine if the booster is bad or maybe just a bad hose in the line? Also the appropriate sequence to bleed them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

PS:
    I should have mentioned that using the air compressor brake bleeding tool doesn't allow for the observation of a leaking part.
    I will refill the fluid and mash the brake peddle several times to see if there is a fluid loss anywhere.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Mikek29340; 02-08-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Mikek29340 View Post
    Hi guys

My son took the R/T out and returned it broken. Grrrr-rrrrrrr...................

The brake peddle goes to the floor. He said brake fluid was leaking out on the ground near left front tire.
    So I filled the main and bleed the right rear. It took a whole container of fluid to get the air out. Next I went to the left rear without luck, then the left front and couldn't bleed it down either.

So how do I determine if the booster is bad or maybe just a bad hose in the line? Also the appropriate sequence to bleed them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    If there is fluid leaking out, you'll need to fix that before bleeding anything. Should be pretty obvious if your losing fluid, when you fix the leak I always bleed the longest line first....

99 BK RC R/T
    99 SY RC R/T
    98 IB RC R/T

I like free kittens

Status

sounds like it's time to put the truck up in the air on jack stands. on concrete. once you confirm its sturdy and stable, you lay under the truck, with safety glasses on to keep brake fluid out of your eyes, and ask your son to start pumping he pedal. find out where you're leaking. "near left front tire" tells you nothing. you could be leaking anywhere from the master to the left front caliper and anywhere in between. Gotta find the leak and fix it by replacing parts.

THEN you can bleed the brakes.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

If the fluid reservoir was empty at anytime you probably have air in the ABS controller and that will have to bled out at the dealership using the DRBII scanner.
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Thanks guys.

I don't find any leaks but hear allot of air in the booster. Is it possible for the booster to go without showing leaks? Any way to tell?

I'm not sure if the reservoir has been empty but if all else fails I will assume that is the problem & take it to the dealer....

+ Reply to Thread