+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2001 Motorsports Edition R/T

Default 2001 Motorsports Edition R/T

I saw someone was looking for an '01 dakota R/T motorsports edition in the wanted section so I asked if anyone had one in the club. Jontoad answered that there was no dakota R/T motorsports offered.
    This seemed odd since the motorsports edition was a race themed option (even though it was just cosmetic) and you would think they would have offered it in the R/T format. Why would they have offered it on the Intrepid and Neon R/T's and not the Dakota R/T?

Accumulating parts...

Status

I've only seen them offered as a "Sport" Dakota option. (Black bumper/no SLT chrome) and 15" rims iirc. Saw one in my town when I was Dakota shopping.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Status

They were only offered on a sport as a NASCAR themed package with the black wheels and yellow lettered goodyears.

It was done when Dodge was promoting being back in NASCAR.

The R/t package was its own thing across all models except for the fullsize Ram.
    Last edited by y2krtaf; 10-14-2013 at 02:06 PM.

I saw a black one recently with 65,000 miles, the guy bought it new back in 2001. His had a 4.7L V8 in it and the Motorsports badging which kind of hides what model it might be.

Status

there is a dodge motorsports dakota but it wasnt an r/t
    copied from dak-dur:

Dodge's return to NASCAR in 2001 led to 1028 Dodge Dakotas being produced as a Sport trim package, option ACM-Motorsports Limited Edition Group. These were dealer-order-only in April 2001; the dealers had a 90 day window, with maximum 5000 units each of Dakotas, Intrepids and Neons. 1026 Intrepids, and 87 Neons had the package. All three came in Flame Red, Black or Bright Silver, and featured Dodge Motorsports door decals, black painted wheels with polished edge, and Goodyear Eagle#1 raised yellow letter tires, and a Track Bag full of goodies. The Dakotas also had a chrome grille, plus body color bumpers like the R/T, and 16x8 rims with 255/65/16 #1's. The trucks could be ordered in RC, CC or QC, but had to be 2wd, and non-R/T. Since these were dealer order, in the spirit of racing, a large number were: RC/4.7/NV3500 manual/3:92. Still again, many RC/Flame Red/4.7. I emailed D-C Customer Service, and obtained the 1028 number, and my spec: RC/Black/4.7/NV3500/3:92=13 made (fastdak also has one). Some old posts about the Dodge Motorsports Limited Edition can be found at www.dodgedakotas.com

Real mans truck

Status

Quote Originally Posted by y2krtaf View Post
    They were only offered on a sport as a NASCAR themed package with the black wheels and yellow lettered goodyears.

It was done when Dodge was promoting being back in NASCAR.

The R/t package was its own thing across all models.
    Wrong. Not until recently has there been a Ram R/T. In 96 there was the Indy and 97-98 was the SS/T but never an R/T.

GPz550 Addict

Status

A Google search for "Dodge Dakota Motorsports Edition" resulted in this link and a few pictures of it:
    http://ipocars.com/vinfo/dodge/dakota-1998.html

DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Looks like it was posted in 2011 and what a lame dealership, he was selling a 2001 truck advertised as a 1998.
    Google "2001 dakota motorsports edition motion" and there is an ad from last year on a flame red motorsports that had only 7,000 miles on it in mint condition. There are 60 pictures on the site that show every possible angle of the truck. There is a picture of the window sticker which is interesting to see.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by dusted72 View Post
    Wrong. Not until recently has there been a Ram R/T. In 96 there was the Indy and 97-98 was the SS/T but never an R/T.
    If you re-read his post, that is what he is saying. I think the way he worded it might make you think that's what he said, but he didnt.

The R/T was an option on Dakota's, right? You would add it to the truck you were ordering just like you would have added the motorsports package or any other package that was offered at the time.

Real mans truck

Status

Quote Originally Posted by stevenz1inoc View Post
    If you re-read his post, that is what he is saying. I think the way he worded it might make you think that's what he said, but he didnt.
    After he edited it and added except full size Rams. Look at my quote of his post and look at his post now.

Status

I did edit it for clarification.

The Indy/SST was my reason for hoping Dodge would put the 5.9 in a Dak.
    When I had '95 Dak. 318 5spd,I had a neighbor who bought an Indy truck,and we would go at it from time to time lol!

Real mans truck

Status

I love mine. Just not the fact it weighs over 4400 pounds.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by dusted72 View Post
    I love mine. Just not the fact it weighs over 4400 pounds.
    The last time my copper one was on the scales it showed 4410 with an 1/8 tank,and my 205 lb ass out of it.

Thats why I have the red one,I'm guessing its in the 37-3800 lb range,but the R/T wheels probably add about another 800 or 900 lbs to the poor thing...lol

Real mans truck

Status

That's the truth. My 17s weigh 27 pounds bare and right at 66 with a tire.

Status

I love the motorsport edition trucks. You could get the 4.7 with the manual and 3.92 rear end gear ratio. I think that truck would be faster than an R/T. Put the R/T suspension on it and it would be a blast!
    03 Flame Red RC
    06 CGM GTO
    11 BMW 135i
    06 OBP WRX
    59 VW Bug (restoring)
    03 Suzuki SV650 (naked)

Status

There's an '01 Motorsports Dakota, here locally, that has a 4-banger in it. The guy who owns it claims he bought it that way brand new. I thought they were only available with the 4.7?

They were available with 3.9L V6, 4.7L V8 or 5.9L V8.

Status

I've never seen or heard of a motorsports edition truck with a 5.9
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

I haven't either but I owned a 2001 motorsports intrepid ES and I picked up a factory 4 page brochure on Ebay. It was the brochure for the motorsports intro and they list the options for the Intrepid, Neon and Dakota. Third line on the Dakota says "Magnum engines: 3.9L V6, 4.7L V8, or 5.9L V8. Anyone ever seen one with a 5.9 engine? And I wonder if there was one with the 5.9 did it have the 3.92 sure grip rear end and lowered suspension?

There was some posts recently about the Motorsports Dakota in my 9.25, 3.92 thread which reminded me about the motorsports brochure mentioning that they could be had with a 5.9L engine. Anyone happen to see or hear of a Motorsports with the 5.9l engine?

Quote Originally Posted by spence340 View Post
    There was some posts recently about the Motorsports Dakota in my 9.25, 3.92 thread which reminded me about the motorsports brochure mentioning that they could be had with a 5.9L engine. Anyone happen to see or hear of a Motorsports with the 5.9l engine?

Motor sports edition only came with the 4.7, the 5.9 was only available as an rt in Dakotas, except when paired with quad cab (quad can 5.9 was NOT an rt)

DRTC #311

Status

Nope. Never. As stated they were 4.7 only.

Did a little checking just now online looking for stuff on the 2001 motorsports and there were trucks out there with the 3.9L engine although it does seem that the most common set up by far is the 4.7L with 5 speed and the 3.92 rear end. It appears that the 4.7L automatic came with the 3.55 rear end. Looking on google I found a truck on Youtube (01 Dodge Dakota Motorsports) that claimed to be a Quad cab motorsports with a 5.9L engine and I said OK this guy is on crack and bought a quad cab that someone put decals on and added some of the original black wheels. Later on while searching I found another one, this time in red, that also claimed to be a motorsports quad cab with a 5.9L engine so I pulled out the four page factory brochure on the Motorsports offerings and sure enough they list the models available as such: Dodge Dakota
    Available on regular cab, Club Cab, and Quad Cab
    Drive system: 4X2
    Magnum engines: 3.9L V6, 4.7L V8, or 5.9L V8

Status

Motorsports package and R/T package are two totally different things. They never came on the same truck. And the 5.9 was only available in the R/T RC and CC, and the Quad Cab but the Quad Cab never had the R/T package. NEVER. So based on your brochure, you could get a 5.9 in a Quad Cab with the Motorsports package on a Dakota.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast