+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Viper Gearbox in a 'kota. in-depth how-to

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert View Post
    I missed it. Do you have a Ford trans?

Re-read. You have an LS. Why won't the bell for the LS work?
    The bell for the LS will work, but the LS input shaft is shorter than the Viper input shaft, so the shaft won't actually sit in the pilot bearing. I presume the flywheel sits out farther relative to the rear bell housing face on an LS engine.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

I like free kittens

Status

I dunno about that. Call Gerko to discuss with him.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

Just got off the Phone with Holley

RM-8074 overall height is 6.630"

RM-6076 overall height is 5.525"

now time to go measure my LS1 input shaft length from the front mounting face.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Status

Just found RM-6076 for $528 going to get summit to price match it tomorrow

https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/...56-chevy-ls-1/

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    Just found RM-6076 for $528 going to get summit to price match it tomorrow

https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/...56-chevy-ls-1/
    So was your trans not actually from an LS car then?

Im in the process of figuring out which trans to buy. i have everything but the trans and clutch so far. I have the 8074 bellhousing.
    2003 Silver RC: 2.02/1.60 EQs by IMM engines, 218XR cam from hipotek, FRP tune, M1 2bbl, spintech headers w true duals, 1.6 adj rockers, 52mm TB, 2800 stall, lots of other shit.
    2000 White CC: DEAD!!! Zeus M1, Hipotek 53mm TB, Spintech Mids, x-pipe, true duals with Hooker Aerochambers; Mopar Performance ECU; CAI; Belltech Lowering kit.
    2002 Black RC: Long gone
    2005 Black Srt-4: AGP Delta 46 turbo. Sold it and it only took the guy 5 days to total it

2015 HD Dyna Street Bob: V&H Shortshots, FP3, SE Stg 1 Air Cleaner, Progressive lowering shocks.
    2008 HD Nightster: Sadly traded in

Status

Quote Originally Posted by moparmadman View Post
    So was your trans not actually from an LS car then?

Im in the process of figuring out which trans to buy. i have everything but the trans and clutch so far. I have the 8074 bellhousing.
    My T56 is from an LS1, which is why I bought 6076 part number. The 8074 which you have is for Viper T56's

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    My T56 is from an LS1, which is why I bought 6076 part number. The 8074 which you have is for Viper T56's
    On quicktime's website they list the 8074 for LS1 and viper, then they have a seperate one for fords. I always read that the LS1 and Viper had different length input shafts which is why I thought it was weird when they listed it for both. They have the 6076 listed as being for a ford t56

https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../bellhousings/
    shit sorry that link didnt go stright to the small blobk mopars
    2003 Silver RC: 2.02/1.60 EQs by IMM engines, 218XR cam from hipotek, FRP tune, M1 2bbl, spintech headers w true duals, 1.6 adj rockers, 52mm TB, 2800 stall, lots of other shit.
    2000 White CC: DEAD!!! Zeus M1, Hipotek 53mm TB, Spintech Mids, x-pipe, true duals with Hooker Aerochambers; Mopar Performance ECU; CAI; Belltech Lowering kit.
    2005 Black Srt-4: AGP Delta 46 turbo. Sold it and it only took the guy 5 days to total it

2015 HD Dyna Street Bob: V&H Shortshots, FP3, SE Stg 1 Air Cleaner, Progressive lowering shocks.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by moparmadman View Post
    On quicktime's website they list the 8074 for LS1 and viper, then they have a seperate one for fords. I always read that the LS1 and Viper had different length input shafts which is why I thought it was weird when they listed it for both. They have the 6076 listed as being for a ford t56

https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../bellhousings/
    shit sorry that link didnt go stright to the small blobk mopars
    My Bellhousing and flywheel are sitting in Minneapolis at my uncles place, so I haven't been able to mock it up yet. But I called summit and jegs, and both stated that 6076 was for LS1, and I also read up some threads on FABO and other mopar forums, and everything pointed to 6076 being for LS1 and 8074 for viper. I'll find out near the end of January when I go pick up my parts.

Status

With the amount of LS/t56 variations and platforms that GM used I wouldnt be surprised if there were differences in some of the units. Ill just keep searching for a viper unit and if all else fails ill pick up a "cheap" LS unit and swap for a viper input shaft

Status

This thread really needs it’s pictures back.....

Status

Are the crossmembers in the manual and auto trucks the same?

I like free kittens

Status

Yup
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

Yup
    Cool so then I should be able to modify a dakota manual trans mount and viper and be good? I had seen yours before but photobucket wasnt letting me pull them up today

Status

The clutch in my truck finally went out, some of the pucks actually delaminated from the plate. Luckily I noticed the fingers on the pressure plate were sitting funny and uneven when I dropped the tranny to replace the slave cylinder. I purchased a new flywheel and have seen some reference to 12" clutches being available for the 4.7L but they would not fit on my setup if a true full 12". Does anyone have any recommendations for a custom clutch? My existing clutch is a Centerforce Stage II at 11" with the Viper 26 spline center. I have made a drawing for the flywheel which I will send out to vendors but I am thinking I should stick with Centerforce due to the slave to pressure plate distance being accounted for in my setup. There is a spacer behind the slave cylinder to account for the added gap with my bellhousing, which is a custom aluminum AX-15 setup done at while the truck was owned by a Hotchkis engineer.

Grady Cowardin - Houston, Tx
    '02 Graphite Metallic 4.7L T56

I like free kittens

Status

Why are you reinventing the wheel? All that work has already been done. Call Gerko enterprises and order a flywheel. Talk to him about clutches because he’s also a clutch expert and the sole US distributor for Mantic clutches.

Get rid of that weak cast aluminum keissler shit and run a 10.95” clutch on a 130 tooth flywheel with a QuickTime SFI bell. You already had one clutch failure. What do you think will happen when your next one let’s go at 6000 rpm? I assume you like having your feet connected to your ankles?
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

Why are you reinventing the wheel? All that work has already been done. Call Gerko enterprises and order a flywheel. Talk to him about clutches because he’s also a clutch expert and the sole US distributor for Mantic clutches.

Get rid of that weak cast aluminum keissler shit and run a 10.95” clutch on a 130 tooth flywheel with a QuickTime SFI bell. You already had one clutch failure. What do you think will happen when your next one let’s go at 6000 rpm? I assume you like having your feet connected to your ankles?
    Lol @ "reinventing the wheel". This is one of the first T-56's in a Dakota. Hotchkis based in a 97 5.2L. They moved it to my 2002. Did you read my sig? I have a 4.7L. My flywheel is a stocker, 38 lbs of steel. I already have the conversion done, just need a new clutch. I spoke to a guy at California Clutch who said he can make a kevlar replacement disc for $350 and may be able to refurb my pressure plate.

When my clutch failed I did not hear any noises, I just couldn't get any movement from the slave cylinder as the pucks were jammed between the pressure plate and the clutch.

Status

G Man!!!!!

What up buddy?!

Are you actually driving that puppy again?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by y2krtaf View Post
    G Man!!!!!

What up buddy?!

Are you actually driving that puppy again?
    Hey, Gary! No, the clutch went out on me racing a Challenger a year or so ago. I've got it apart now. Did you sell your Chally? When did you get the Gen 2?

I like free kittens

Status

Quote Originally Posted by QwikKota View Post
    Lol @ "reinventing the wheel". This is one of the first T-56's in a Dakota. Hotchkis based in a 97 5.2L. They moved it to my 2002. Did you read my sig? I have a 4.7L. My flywheel is a stocker, 38 lbs of steel. I already have the conversion done, just need a new clutch. I spoke to a guy at California Clutch who said he can make a kevlar replacement disc for $350 and may be able to refurb my pressure plate.

When my clutch failed I did not hear any noises, I just couldn't get any movement from the slave cylinder as the pucks were jammed between the pressure plate and the clutch.
    Cool.

You seem to know what you’re doing. Don’t call the guy who builds custom flywheels or clutches.

Have fun.
    Last edited by Filthy Filbert; 05-11-2018 at 12:43 AM.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

Quote Originally Posted by QwikKota View Post
    Hey, Gary! No, the clutch went out on me racing a Challenger a year or so ago. I've got it apart now. Did you sell your Chally? When did you get the Gen 2?

Have the Challenger,just 0ne at the moment lol.

I’ve had the gen 2 for about 6+ years now.

That being said,I’m getting ready to put a 6 speed in the ’96 using a quick time bell and Mantic clutch and parts sourced through Geoff at Gerko.Not sure when I’ll actually get at it since I’m swapping the convertor in the Copper one to tone it down a bit.

It’ll be a twin disc since hopefully in the not too distant future it will have something a bit stouter that the 318 that’s in it.

Hopefully you get your bak up and going soon man!

Status

Cool.

You seem to know what you’re doing. Don’t call the guy who builds custom flywheels or clutches.

Have fun.
    I spoke with him. Very nice guy but he is not familiar with the 4.7L.

Status

At least you still have it and the trucks. Do you have a garage big enough for all 3? Connor just built a new house with a big garage but it's attached, tandem style on one bay. Mine is detached but barely big enough for my truck and tools plus storage.

The Gen 2 will be pretty wicked with the 6 speed, they are so light. Where did you get the clutch from? I think Mantic is an Australian company. I have called everyone from Centerforce, Ram, and CA Clutch but had some luck with McLeod by telling them some dimensions. Oddly enough, a 1970 Chevelle 350 looks like it might bolt right up. I bought a cheap Autozone clutch that I will return just to check fitment. The Super Street Pro clutch kit from McLeod is good for 500 horse and will be perfect if it fits, only $300. The slave cylinder engagement will be the only problem. Mine has a 3/4" thick spacer on it right now but might not be long enough. The Centerforce that I have is really deep/thick for whatever reason. Wish me luck.

Majestic Motorsports

Status

Manual Dakotas are SLOW
    Sales Manager at Majestic Motorsports

712 rwhp, 650 rwtq 2009 Pontiac G8

Best Run in Dak: 10.89 @ 126.79
    DRTC Member #1092

Status

Quote Originally Posted by huskerrt79 View Post
    Manual Dakotas are SLOW