+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Borrow a Snap on MT2500

Blown and Squirted

Status

To simplify- the voltage correlation makes, don't worry about what a particular scanner says or which direction the reading is. It should be near 4.5v wit the engine off, and much less with it idling.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

DRTC Member #1146

Status

I plugged the scanne into my dads truck. He reads 29.8 inHg with te key on engine off and 16.8 inHg while idling. After doing te math you guys said, he is at about 13 inHg at idle which is correct for his cam. So I am not worried about the MAP sensor anymore. Here is a pic of the numbers on the TPS. These are the only numbers I could find...
    It is an airtex part

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    218/226 Comp Cam, Stage 1 Ported EQ Heads, PRW 1.6 Roller Rockers, PIE Custom Tune, Full spintech exhaust with 3" side exit, 52mm Holley, Ported Kegger, Viper E-Fan, Powerdemon Trans, Hotchkis Springs, Leafs and Sway Bars, R/T 20's, Gen 3 viper seats, Custom "Rejected" State Inspection Sticker
    Plenty More to come

DRTC Member #1146

Status

This is the third one down from rockauto for a 2002 Dodge dakota 5.9L

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    218/226 Comp Cam, Stage 1 Ported EQ Heads, PRW 1.6 Roller Rockers, PIE Custom Tune, Full spintech exhaust with 3" side exit, 52mm Holley, Ported Kegger, Viper E-Fan, Powerdemon Trans, Hotchkis Springs, Leafs and Sway Bars, R/T 20's, Gen 3 viper seats, Custom "Rejected" State Inspection Sticker
    Plenty More to come

If you want it, I have my OEM TPS that I took off last year. It developed a small dead spot that would make the torque convertor unlock for a second if you were cruising and hit the exact throttle position.

Other than the small dead spot, it's the factory sensor from my 02 and it was working perfectly. It would be good enough to use for troubleshooting and it's free

Drops panties faster than any R/T

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wyotech_cuda440 View Post
    I've noticed that with my OTC scanner, it reads the map backwards. Key on, engine off shows 28-29", idle shows around 10, and cruise shows 12-18".

Its kind of confusing, but as long as I subtract the scanner number from the KoEo number it tells me the accurate number confirmed by a real vac gauge.

If Josh's scanner reads the same way as mine, the 8.5" means he's actually at 19.5", I assume the JTEC knows what to do with those numbers because mine seems to work fine.

Don, is your truck running? Can josh plug in his scanner and fire it up to see what the map reads on your truck to compare?

he just did, he'll post the results
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

DRTC #149

Status

Hey Josh, just a quick FYI from someone who sold almost all those aftermarket brands for years. Wells ( now Airtex/Wells apparently ) was the absolute bottom, most garbage stuff usually. Standard Motor Products was one of the better, if not the best one availalble. If you have a choice, and the price is similar, run the SMP stuff when you have a choice please

With that said, your TPS readings on the scanner didnt seem to be out of line, so I dont think it is an issue honestly. Also you have had the same problem across a couple of different TPS's, so that indicates to me that the issue continues to lie elsewhere.

Honestly, its looking more and more like maybe the next step is to check the veracity of the mechanical stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Friggin' R/T View Post
    This is the third one down from rockauto for a 2002 Dodge dakota 5.9L

99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

[KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

Status

Non adjustable rockers?
    1999 solar fire reboot
    Gas-Beat-Repeat

DRTC Member #1146

Status

Quote Originally Posted by nevr2fast01 View Post
    Non adjustable rockers?
    Stock rockers

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    Plenty More to come

Status

Well i'll be the guy that says it, it could be your flex plate giving you trouble, have you ever had the trans out and looked at it real good? I've seen people gouge them up and cause really strange issues, about the only way to test it is by scoping the signal from the crank sensor while running or cranking, in which you need a graphing multi meter or scanner
    1999 solar fire reboot
    Gas-Beat-Repeat

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by nevr2fast01 View Post
    Well i'll be the guy that says it, it could be your flex plate giving you trouble, have you ever had the trans out and looked at it real good? I've seen people gouge them up and cause really strange issues, about the only way to test it is by scoping the signal from the crank sensor while running or cranking, in which you need a graphing multi meter or scanner

Good call!

That could actually be pretty easily visually checked by pulling the inspection cover and having someone manually rotate the motor and you can watch and see if any of the notches are boogered up....

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

DRTC Member #1146

Status

I don't have the cover anyway. It wasn't on the truck so I could look while my dad cranks. What would I be looking for?

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    Plenty More to come

DRTC Member #1146

Status

Oh. I texted Dave, he says it is a stock cam. Waiting to see where he got it from and how he installed it

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    Plenty More to come

Status

That flexplate comment made me remember. ..
    A Friend had a missfire problem for EVER, finally found the flexplate had broken and was jammed together with the notches all out of place, it ran, but very badly. Its a wonder anybody found that problem.
    G-Man

DRTC #149

Status

I don't have the cover anyway. It wasn't on the truck so I could look while my dad cranks. What would I be looking for?

The openings for the crank sensor are square openings on the outer edge of the flexplate. Check to make sure that they aren't mangled or distorted. This is how the crank sensor does its job, by sensing the coming and going of those square openings. If they are off even by a bit, it can cause havoc.

DRTC Member #1146

Status

Dave said he got the cam from ME111 and installed it himself. He said his fsm told him to install it dot to dot so that is what he did. Is that correct?

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    Plenty More to come

Status

Yea thats fine
    1999 solar fire reboot
    Gas-Beat-Repeat

DRTC Member #1146

Status

My dad said on magnum it needed to Be installed with both dots facing up...?

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    Plenty More to come

My dad said on magnum it needed to Be installed with both dots facing up...?
    Magnums are a bit goofy when setting up the ignition, but dot-to-dot is fine for installing the cam.

The goofy part is that dot-to-dot is cyl #1 TDC exhaust. You must crank it 360 degrees so that both dots are at 12:00 to put it at #1 TDC compression before installing the distributor. Standard SBC or SBF is dot-to-dot on #1 compression.
    Last edited by wyotech_cuda440; 08-17-2013 at 02:41 AM.

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wyotech_cuda440 View Post
    Magnums are a bit goofy when setting up the ignition, but dot-to-dot is fine for installing the cam.

The goofy part is that dot-to-dot is cyl #1 TDC exhaust. You must crank it 360 degrees so that both dots are at 12:00 to put it at #1 TDC compression. Standard SBC or SBF is dot-to-dot on #1 compression instead.
    This...

DRTC Member #1146

Status

So you are saying line it up dot to dot. Install the cam, then rotate it to TDC compression stroke #1 cylinder. And set the dizzy?

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    Plenty More to come

DRTC #149

Status

So you are saying line it up dot to dot. Install the cam, then rotate it to TDC compression stroke #1 cylinder. And set the dizzy?
    Bingo

Status

Out of curiosity, let's just pretend his cam is installed incorrectly or his distributor was set wrong...would that truly be causing a high idle issue? Isn't it just a high idle problem he's having? Would the damn thing run at all if the cam was installed dot to dot on the #1 comp stroke?
    My step mother legitimately thought you could raise boneless chickens.

edit: she once to her taxes to a taxidermy shop...my hand to god, this woman is a moron

DRTC Member #1146

Status

It is a high idle and rough idle / drive ability issues. But yea, also wondering if it would run at all if the cam wasn't installed right

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    Plenty More to come

DRTC Member #1146

Status

Here are pics of the flex plate squares guys. They look good to me...

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    Plenty More to come

It is a high idle and rough idle / drive ability issues. But yea, also wondering if it would run at all if the cam wasn't installed right
    The main thing were suspicious of is the cam timing. We already know that your distributor drive shaft and distributor were installed correctly from the pics you posted, so that's not an issue.

However, if the timing set was installed one tooth off, the cam timing would be wrong and it would run, just not very well. Also, some of the cheaper timing sets are known to be less than perfect, sometimes just dot-to-dot could be off by 5 degrees or more.

Pulling the accessories, water pump, and timing cover, checking the cam with a degree wheel, and reassembling everything should only take a day or two.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast