+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ticking

Status

Default Ticking

Now I know most of you are probably gonna say right off the bat, "rocker hitting the valve cover" or somewhere along the lines of that, but I'm almost positive it isn't. What's happening is ONLY when I go down the highway, there's a faint ticking noise that gets louder with acceleration. Doesn't do this in town or at idle. Reason I don't think it's a loose rocker is because it did this before I even touched the motor back in June. I don't know if it's just a normal thing for these trucks or if there's something loose hitting the rotating assembly. Has anyone else had this happen before? I'm at a loss

And note that the noise hasn't gotten any louder or quieter before or after the engine modifications. Also doesn't affect the way it runs because this thing is getting faster the better the weather gets

GPz550 Addict

Status

Does it make a difference in sound, when the engine is hot or when it's cold cold?
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Status

Now that you say, it does seem to make the noise more often after the motor is warm.

Quote Originally Posted by darkenedrt View Post
    Now I know most of you are probably gonna say right off the bat, "rocker hitting the valve cover" or somewhere along the lines of that, but I'm almost positive it isn't. What's happening is ONLY when I go down the highway, there's a faint ticking noise that gets louder with acceleration. Doesn't do this in town or at idle. Reason I don't think it's a loose rocker is because it did this before I even touched the motor back in June. I don't know if it's just a normal thing for these trucks or if there's something loose hitting the rotating assembly. Has anyone else had this happen before? I'm at a loss

And note that the noise hasn't gotten any louder or quieter before or after the engine modifications. Also doesn't affect the way it runs because this thing is getting faster the better the weather gets
    Pinging.

Use better gas, and de-carbon the combustion chambers with seafoam.

Drops panties faster than any R/T

Status

No its not pinging. I've heard what that sounds like in my old truck. This is a different sound. I'm starting to think the lifters.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Joskanner View Post
    Exhaust leak?
    Nope. Everything is sealed.

Talked to a buddy and he thinks the same thing as me. He said to use STP oil treatment and it should fix the issue. I'm gonna go get some tomorrow and see if it fixes it.

---Under Construction---

Status

I am going to also say exhaust leak. Double and triple check. I highly doubt its the rockers hitting the valve covers. If one of the lifters failed, I think it would be running like shit and missing; rather than making a ticking sound.

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

Status

It hasn't gone to shit, just isn't seated perfectly in the valve seal. This oil treatment will lubricate the lifter so that it will sink back in and stop making that ticking.

---Under Construction---

Status

Quote Originally Posted by darkenedrt View Post
    It hasn't gone to shit, just isn't seated perfectly in the valve seal. This oil treatment will lubricate the lifter so that it will sink back in and stop making that ticking.
    So you think the pushrod isnt seated in the lifter cup? I doubt that, but unbolt the rockers and spin the pushrods to make sure they are dropping in (which they prob all are). A bottle of treatment wont correct that, but it might quite down a noisey lifter. What kind and weight oil are you running? Oil pressure when warm?

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

Status

Yup that's exactly what I'm thinking after talking to two very well trained mechanics. I just put the treatment in it about 5 minutes ago. The ultimate test will be after I get out of class later, going down the highway. I'll post results this afternoon.

Status

Drove it home and still heard some ticking but the last few miles of the trip, it seemed to go away. Think if I drive it some more, it'll get better.

+ Reply to Thread