+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to put Viper SRT-10 wheels on a Dakota

Hybrid View

Default How to put Viper SRT-10 wheels on a Dakota

Hi All,

I've had several inquires asking how I put Viper SRT-10 wheels on my Dakota R/T, so I will explain how to do this in case others want to do the same.

Overview
    The 2003-2008 Viper SRT-10 wheel is a high quality polished aluminum wheel that has the correct 6x4.5 bolt pattern for the 1997-2004 Dakota. It is lightweight, and comes in 18x10 front, and 19x13 rear. For the Dakota, I used four 18x10 front wheels all around. The factory 17inch R/T wheel is 9inch wide, with a 25mm offset. The Viper front wheel is 10inches wide, with a 25mm offset. The Viper front wheel will hit the control arms under full turns lock condition. Therefore, a workaround is required.

How to Install SRT-10 front wheels on a Dakota

1. H&R Spring's 30mm wheel adapters
    Using an H&R Springs 30mm wheel adapter kit ($170/kit, 2 kits required/truck = $340) for Viper will place the wheel at the correct offset for full steering travel. These adapters are high quality and come with a product warranty (unlike a lot of stuff on ebay). Importantly, they are Hub-Centric, as factory, so the load on the wheel is translated to the wheel spindle through the hub versus the lug. Many aftermarket wheels, brake kits and wheel adapters are lug-centric. I can't comment on its safety, other than to say I would not run it on my truck or recommend lug-centric set-ups to anyone. As I understand, wheel studs are made for clamping, not sheer loads.

2. SRT-10 Viper wheel
    Use only the front 18inch wheel. Try to find these either reconditioned with warranty. Street price as of 2008 is $900-1200/wheel including core charge. If you can choose to buy a set second hand, try to get a written guarantee the wheels are not warped. A lot of people won't give this to you because they are warped and they sell them as is, buyer beware. So beware - you may get burned on used sight unseen or ebay.

3. Lug Nuts
    You can use either the factory Viper lug nuts, which are stainless steel capped lugs, or chrome aftermarket 1/2-20 x 1-1/4in long.

4. Center Caps
    You can use the Viper center caps, but I didn't want to mix the branding up. I found that the 2008 Dodge Charger RT center cap works well if you remove the spring retainer clip internally, and pre-bend the tabs by hand to allow the caps to seat in by hand.

5. Tires
    This is personal preference, but I am a stickler on rolling diameters not being undersized or too oversize, and the width not being too narrow causing ballooning, or too wide causing tire buldge. The stock tire was 255/55R17 with a 28.0inch rolling diameter. So, I selected 255/50R18 (28.0 dia) for the front, and 295/45R18 (28.4 dia) for the rear.
    I used Toyo Proxes ST. It is affordable and has a nice tread pattern.

6. Price
    So what does this all cost? I collected the wheels slowly over time, and kept the price under $600/wheel. But, expect this swap to cost:
    wheels, reconditioned: $900 x 4 = $3600
    tires, mounted: $150 x 4 = $600
    lugs: $50 in chrome
    center caps: $70
    H&R wheel adapters: $340
    shipping for all above: $200
    Total = $4860 (too much for the wheels, in my opinion)

I have worked on a solution to get the same results for nearly half this price in a 20inch wheel to boot. If interested, PM me.

I am very pleased with the SRT-10 Viper wheel. It compliments the look of my truck perfectly and incorporated design ques of the SRT look into the classic '98-03 Dakota R/T body.
    Shafi Keisler, Original Owner 1998 Dakota R/T "R/T56 6-Speed Equipped"
    www.keislerauto.com

Deep Amethyst, Rallye hood, ViperSRT10 wheels, 4-wheel disc, SRT8 power seats, Hotckis, Sidewinder Interior

R/Tless...for now

Status

Nice write up. Got any good pics of the wheels on your truck?

-Dave-
    '01 QC 4x4 33s
    '98 RC V6

Status
    Blog Entries

got write up, i wanted to you the lightweight srt viper wheels, which lights are you using on the truck also

Store Bought!

Status

This reminds me. WTF happened to Ryan from Florida? The kid who rolled his truck on the Dragon?
    Jason Francis

Dirty Jerzey

Status

I thought he was on here?at the 07 nats He had the amber fire hood on the FR truck
    2002 AB CC R/T (R.I.P)
    11.52@116.61 w/1.67 60'.

2002 AB QC 4.7 4x4

www.schroermasonry.com
    Facebook.com/SchroerMasonry

make it bigger STROKE IT

Status

Wow for that much dough I'd roll on some ccw's. Man they have some sweet looking wheels. I def. perfer 18's over a larger wheel b/c in my area large wheels are always played out to much. 26's on the gran maques and shit I just shake my head.

Forged 408 12.10 @ 111mph under the knife again

Muscle Of Love

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BTLFED R/T View Post
    This reminds me. WTF happened to Ryan from Florida? The kid who rolled his truck on the Dragon?
    I honestly dont know? I last spoke with him shoot a good year and half ago. I did see his truck after he got the viper wheels. Last time I spoke with him he was debating either fixing up the truck, or just selling it for something else. I dont go on the Delphi R/T site much, but don't see him on there anymore. Wonder if he sold the truck? Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rattler360 View Post
    ... which lights are you using on the truck also
    EagleEyes CCFL in black + my mods for fitment & trimout so they look like they belong there.
    www.keislerauto.com

Deep Amethyst, Rallye hood, ViperSRT10 wheels, 4-wheel disc, SRT8 power seats, Hotckis, Sidewinder Interior

Status

ha kinda looks like sum1 is playing bad in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by bad425rt View Post
    Nice write up. Got any good pics of the wheels on your truck?
    Here's a side pic of the wheel. I will update this post with pics from another camera next week.

Here's a pic of the 20inch wheel (in gunmetal metallic w/ machined face) alternative, on my Cuda.
    www.keislerauto.com

Chicago"Blacksheep" 2001-

Status

Here's a pic of the 20inch wheel (in gunmetal metallic w/ machined face) alternative, on my Cuda.
    i have those 20's on my SRT
    Last edited by Jontoad; 08-24-2008 at 06:17 PM.

2006 Black Charger SRT8- Cam'ed and tons of suspenson/drivetrain mods for Autocross/Road racing
    2008 Caliber SRT4- Daily Driver
    2000 Black CC Dakota R/T & 1999 Black RC Dakota R/T- sold!
    autoX vids
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGBII3NIFc / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcDLPdlsxPg / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKoTy-VEw2k

Status

Ok, so just to be clear. You only used the 18" wheel in the front, but can the 19" Real viper wheel still be used in the rear of our trucks? I'm sitting here thinking to myself I can't see why not? Anyways great write up, definetly has me thinking twice before committing to a set near me. Guy is asking $1500 for fronts and rear wheels. No tires. But I'll definetly go look at them first and see about any warpage.

Ive got a set of 2 18x10 Viper wheels mounted on tires $500

You Can run 18's up front fine, You will need a spacer.

The 19's will fit in the rear as well but requires a spacer as well
    1998 Dakota R/T
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5Qwt4vRdHrM/UqZdWhLt2tI/AAAAAAAAAB8/WtseaWnGPTM/w732-h549-no/1384281_10151646266675723_1560687758_n.jpg

+ Reply to Thread