+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1997 Honda del sol vtec?

Labor of love

Status

Default 1997 Honda del sol vtec?

Long story short I was at a party lastnight and this kid who happens to have a Honda del sol was talking crap saying he would beat my truck. All I told him was it was a "dodge pickup" we are gonna put $50 down on the race. All I think his has done is exhaust & it's also a 5 spd. I'm pretty sure I got him from a dig just wanted 2nd opinions.
    98 Dakota R/T DA brought back to life.

Status

Pete
    '00 RC TKO | '14 Ram 1500 Laramie

pic no work

i know i could beat him but i cant find any imports that would run me now, of course ive only got a stock bottom end
    Brad
    00 CC IB sport 360
    98 RC white sport mildly worked v6, used as a truck!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaNdaytona View Post
    Long story short I was at a party lastnight and this kid who happens to have a Honda del sol was talking crap saying he would beat my truck. All I told him was it was a "dodge pickup" we are gonna put $50 down on the race. All I think his has done is exhaust & it's also a 5 spd. I'm pretty sure I got him from a dig just wanted 2nd opinions.
    If he only has exhaust, that $50 is as good as yours. Unless you're missing a driver mod.
    2004 SRT4 Moar Pah Coming DD
    2002 Dakota R/T 12.376@110.84

"Is there any way to make this easier? I'm way confused now. I just tried to post a video, but instead I got my dick caught in the ceiling fan" Wyotech_Cuda440

Labor of love

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Broo42 View Post
    If he only has exhaust, that $50 is as good as yours. Unless you're missing a driver mod.
    Sweet I need that $50 daddy needs some canned tunes.

DRTC #149

Status

No offense,

But you had to ASK if you could beat the Del Sol???

Uhm.... other than the money being put down, I wouldnt even waste gas on a throttle blip towards a ricer, let alone race one. Even a "fartcan" modded ricer isnt going to touch a stock RT. Something thats built a bit with a turbo would give you some trouble, but those are WAY few and far between from what I have seen....

Go stomp a new mudhole in his ass, take his parents money from him, and laugh all the way to the bank.

No need for video or tell all, we know how this will turn out.

99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

[KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

Labor of love

Status

I have no clue what they run so I figured I would see cause he was talking pretty highly of his del sol. Good to know I got him covered lol.

DRTC #149

Status

I have no clue what they run so I figured I would see cause he was talking pretty highly of his del sol. Good to know I got him covered lol.
    We ARE talking about a group of car owners who are proud when they run 16 second quarters, and 15 sec cars are "fast" to them.....

99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

[KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

bazinga!

Status

All those things are are civics with a"sporty" body, good for an 17-18 sec pass lol
    Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer

Status

Some of them are decently quick with motor swaps. A buddy of mine has an 88 Civic 4 door with a 2.2L out of a Prelude in it. High 13's NA and 12.6s on a 100 shot.
    2004 SRT4 Moar Pah Coming DD
    2002 Dakota R/T 12.376@110.84

"Is there any way to make this easier? I'm way confused now. I just tried to post a video, but instead I got my dick caught in the ceiling fan" Wyotech_Cuda440

bazinga!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Broo42 View Post
    Some of them are decently quick with motor swaps. A buddy of mine has an 88 Civic 4 door with a 2.2L out of a Prelude in it. High 13's NA and 12.6s on a 100 shot.
    He said this ones only got a fart can on it though... Lol
    Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer

DRTC #311

Status

Be careful with those little things. Back when my truck was new, my best friend had a little Del Sol like that. I'd have no problem taking him on every launch, but he also had no problem reeling me in. It's been a long time, but I think by about 80 he was passing me with relative ease. We both had teenager shit- exhaust and intakes. I may have had a Mopar PCM at the time too. He was an excellent driver also. That's where your race is going to be, so bet on that and not the car. My bud had the "vtec" version, whatever that means, I don't remember the terminology enough to speak on it.
    Last edited by PeteRT; 07-30-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Labor of love

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Pete102580 View Post
    Be careful with those little things. Back when my truck was new, my best friend had a little Del Sol like that. I'd have no problem taking him on every launch, but he also had no problem reeling me in. It's been a long time, but I think by about 80 he was passing me with relative ease. We both had teenager shit- exhaust and intakes. I may have had a Mopar PCM at the time too. He was an excellent driver also. That's where your race is going to be, so bet on that and not the car. My bud had the "vtec" version, whatever that means, I don't remember the terminology enough to speak on it.
    Well the kid blows at shifting and is probably even worse at launching. He said he has a "flat" and hasn't got back to me yet,...... Probably trying to do a motor swap lol.

Status

All he has on you is weight advantage. That said, my buddy has a civic with a vtec, my grand Marquis beats it fairly easy, so you should have no problems. Enjoy your money! Lol
    "Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul." -Biker Boyz

1999 intense blue regular cab r/t

Old setup: 408, fully forged, half filled block, eddy heads, m1, 236/232 116 .612 cam, 3600 stall, BW S480 turbo, 4" exhaust, 12lbs boost, Flyin' Ryan tuned.

New setup: 345 gen3 hemi, Manley forged pistons & rods, 6.1 crank, 6.1 heads, 6.1 cam, Ritter intake, 727 w/t-brake, BW S480 turbo, Holley dominator efi.

Still building: 5.7 based forged 392 stroker, custom cam, thitek heads, twin s480s, all the boost.

Back in black

Status

Only saying it has vtec isn't really enough info.. any idea what motor it actually is?

A single cam will be a waste of time. A GSR or LS with vtec might be a different story and give you a good run. A buddy of mine had a stock GSR in his Del Sol and it ran low 15 - high 14s back in the day.

It makes around 700whp now though.

Labor of love

Status

Whatever came stock in del sol. Ima take a wild guess and say a d16 with vtec.

Labor of love

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Slow RT View Post
    All he has on you is weight advantage. That said, my buddy has a civic with a vtec, my grand Marquis beats it fairly easy, so you should have no problems. Enjoy your money! Lol
    Good to know cause i beat my friends grand marquis by Atleast 5 cars to 60.
    Last edited by DakotaNdaytona; 08-02-2013 at 04:40 AM.

My fuel economy beater is a CRX, so I have involuntarily learned a lot about Hondas lately. With the EG Civic/del Sol there's two basic motors he could be running.

First is the D engine. This is a SOHC motor like the one in my CRX. They're about as complicated as a can of beans and return Godly gas mileage. Mine gets 48mpg. They never really got very powerful, as evidenced by the rods which look like floss next to the rod in my 250cc dirtbike. They added VTEC but only on the intake valve, so unless this guy has been busy, he's not much threat with a D.

If he has a B engine, there might be something. These have a DOHC head with some pretty serious flow. It's about as much like a two-stroke as you can get, except you don't get to smell the smoke and a total rebuild isn't a one-beer project. The B16 one might find in a del Sol is 160hp out of the box, and the car is a shade North of 2,000lbs. With my stock truck I'd call it a loss if he can drive.

Even with a B16, it doesn't take much for an R/T to catch up. Just don't go into this assuming he's 3.9 fodder.

Here's to John, Horace, and Walter P!

Status

lets first say that the dakota r/t stock makes a 15.4 power to weight ratio
    the del sol if its a dohc b16 model, makes a 15.56 power to weight ratio.

find out if its sohc or dohc. if its a sohc, you got him no prob.

If its a dohc vtec it may be a close race. I used to mess with hondas back in my teen days, and let me tell you, if he is hiding a b18/b20 block under the hood with a vtec head on it, he catch you in the end (without missing shifts), the hondas respond very well to cheap mods (timing etc). Now, let the r/t shine where it naturally wants to,.. off the start. Get the most traction possible and play off the reaction time in the beginning. This is where you have the most potential for a win. Because he may start pulling on you mid race. I know because I used to own a 2 del sols. All I have to say is f it, race him. If your r/t is healthy, you should get him. Also. Do a good once over the day before, tire pressure, fluids, etc...It would be an interesting race in all honesty. I am an r/t lover, but both vehicles can run a low 15 second 1/4 mile easy. post up and let us know what happened.

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 97dakota318 View Post
    lets first say that the dakota r/t stock makes a 15.4 power to weight ratio
    the del sol if its a dohc b16 model, makes a 15.56 power to weight ratio.

find out if its sohc or dohc. if its a sohc, you got him no prob.

If its a dohc vtec it may be a close race. I used to mess with hondas back in my teen days, and let me tell you, if he is hiding a b18/b20 block under the hood with a vtec head on it, he catch you in the end (without missing shifts), the hondas respond very well to cheap mods (timing etc). Now, let the r/t shine where it naturally wants to,.. off the start. Get the most traction possible and play off the reaction time in the beginning. This is where you have the most potential for a win. Because he may start pulling on you mid race. I know because I used to own a 2 del sols. All I have to say is f it, race him. If your r/t is healthy, you should get him. Also. Do a good once over the day before, tire pressure, fluids, etc...It would be an interesting race in all honesty. I am an r/t lover, but both vehicles can run a low 15 second 1/4 mile easy. post up and let us know what happened.
    Welcome back to August of 2013.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Status

Quote Originally Posted by grapejuice1998 View Post
    Welcome back to August of 2013.
    lol, i was bored and it interested me haha

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    We ARE talking about a group of car owners who are proud when they run 16 second quarters, and 15 sec cars are "fast" to them.....
    Thought my rt was fast when I bought it in high school. Stock down to the air filter running 15.4s. lmao
    AFE

Quote Originally Posted by 97dakota318 View Post
    lol, i was bored and it interested me haha
    Lol same
    AFE

+ Reply to Thread