+ Reply to Thread

Thread: any gen 1/2 dakota auto x guys out there?

Status

Default any gen 1/2 dakota auto x guys out there?

i have a gen2 EC with a 2000 360 engine swap and im wondering what all i can add to my truck to stiffen up my suspension? i did something similar to this to a gen 1 s10 using newer gen 3 extreme suspension parts and blazer brake parts to get better brakes and rear discs ... with minor work... so my question is ... is there any thing we can use from other mopars or newer daks that can be made to work fairly easy?

GPz550 Addict

Status

Go here. They are in the vendor section of this site.
    http://stores.hi-potek.com/-strse-DA...Categories.bok

Last edited by Corey; 09-19-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Status

those are sweet as hell!!!! but only 1 problem... they are from the gen 3 and from what im hearing the gen 3 frame is wider so im not sure it will work?

Status

I've head of gen3 rear leafs being swapped in,but I don't see any gain to be had there.

I don't auto-X mine,but always hated the way a gen2 handled.

So mine was dropped in the front with Beltech 2" spindles and for now 2" blocks in the back.It really needs to come down another inch in the rear,so I'll change the hangers and get rid of the blocks.

I used an Addco rear sway bar on the back as it mounts to the frame,and doesn't add unsprung weight to the suspension unlike the Belltech bar that mount to the axle,and won't clear any aftermarket covers.

The aftermarket bars for the front are the same size as my stock V-8 bar up front,but I went ahead and put the Belltech bar on it to see if there is any improvement.There is a slight improvement,but not enough,as it still needs more either bar,or spring rate up front.Not sure how I'm gonna address it.

It feels like a stiffer spring and a bigger front bar is needed to control the nose,as it still wants to roll and nose dive to the point of unweighting the inside rear tire on heavy cornering causing traction loss getting back on the power.

I have Belltech street performance shocks on the back,and like the way they work.
    I have Bilsteins up font and they work pretty good although I think they could be a bit stiffer i guess for lack of a better term.

I know my heavier than crap R/T knock offs aren't helping the cause with the unsprung weight thing,but they allow me to run wider rubber.May do a 5 lug conversion to open up some more,lighter wheel options.

Overall the truck rides and drives SOOOOOOOO much better than it ever did stock,but it still needs more help up front to keep it more planted,and some sort of frame bracing wouldn't hurt for sure.

Hope this helps.

Step bumer & CCW's FTW!

Status

I don't see why you couldn't adapt S10 susension parts to work.

2012 RAM R/T
    Belltech.

2010 Challenger R/T
    Hurst. Billet Tech. Hop Not. SLP.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyD View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't adapt S10 susension parts to work.
    i actually was thinking of checking the measurements on them as a matter a fact

I don't know if its a good idea or a bad one but could you simply bolt the cab and bed together with some sort of spacer in between to stiffen the truck a bit. Same way as a convertible is less stiff than a regular car because its missing the roof making two heavy ends held together by only the frame. I've always wondered if this would work.

Under Construction..Again

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JonRT View Post
    I don't know if its a good idea or a bad one but could you simply bolt the cab and bed together with some sort of spacer in between to stiffen the truck a bit. Same way as a convertible is less stiff than a regular car because its missing the roof making two heavy ends held together by only the frame. I've always wondered if this would work.
    Probably warp the body unless you did a lot of frame stiffening mods too. Most mini trucks that I have seen done also had custom frames. Unibodys get away with it because the body is the frame.

Here is what I did to my 96:
    Western Chassis rear drop 2"-3", along with HD Leaf springs from JC Whitney...
    Belltech 2" drop springs
    Nitro drop shocks for 2"-4" drops
    17" Enkei 186 rims with 255/50R17 Nitto 450's
    Addco sway bars (larger diameter, solid)
    Energy Suspension bushings (everything, even cab mounts)
    Moog ball joints (the ones with zerk fittings)

Handles as well as a Mustang, and stays pretty flat in the corners.

Tom Slick
    1989 Shelby Dakota #1433 - Green - *As seen on Fast n' Loud*

1996 Dodge Dakota Sport SB RC - Black - 5.2L - "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." "Unfortunately she won't make point five past lightspeed."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    Belltech 2" drop springs

Tom Slick
    Man, I would love to check out your truck. It seems like every truck in Texas I want to see is all the way up in Dallas. If you ever bring it down around austin let me know.

Status

Belltech 2" drop springs

Tom Slick
    How do you like the poly cab bushings?
    I'm probably going to do mine,but would like some input from someone that has them.

Ha ha ha!

I used to live in Austin! I know someone down there that would be able to help you with your truck.

Later,
    Tom Slick

1996 Dodge Dakota Sport SB RC - Black - 5.2L - "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." "Unfortunately she won't make point five past lightspeed."

The cab bushings are great!

Ha ha ha!

I used to live in Austin! I know someone down there that would be able to help you with your truck.

Later,
    Tom Slick
    Lol. Thanks, but we are good. The Dakota was just hoping for another GenII to beat up on.

Very nice truck man! Always love to see a second gen.

Quote Originally Posted by 1995dak View Post
    Lol. Thanks, but we are good. The Dakota was just hoping for another GenII to beat up on.
    I just saw that you are working on a twin turbo setup for the 96. I retract my previous statement.

+ Reply to Thread