+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Automatic vs Manual Crank Sensors

Status

Default Automatic vs Manual Crank Sensors

I've always heard that an automatic crank sensor can't be used with a manual. I noticed last night that the CPS connector off the main harness is different between my automatic truck's harness and the five speed truck's harness, however the wire colors and orientation into the plug is the same on both. Is there an actual difference in the two sensors, or is it just the connectors that differ? I have a brand new crank sensor for a five speed that I plan on using, so later today I was going to just de-pin and swap the plugs between the two harnesses. Does anyone see or know of any problems with doing this?

Also, for the manual swap guys, did you put all the automatic transmission plugs in a bag and zip tie them off to the side? Or just zip tie them off in open air? Moisture is the only thing that concerns me here...
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

The sensor itself might be the same. But autos are longer iirc. I heard someone on dakdur using an auto that was shimmed up to make room for the flywheel.

Are you able to pull pins from manual sensor and auto and put the manual socket on your auto harness? To keep from rigging it up?
    Last edited by jmaack727; 05-18-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jmaack727 View Post
    The sensor itself might be the same. But autos are longer iirc. I heard someone on dakdur using an auto that was shimmed up to make room for the flywheel.

Are you able to pull pins from manual sensor and auto and put the manual socket on your auto harness? To keep from rigging it up?
    Yup, that's what I meant by de-pinning and swapping connectors from each harness. I have both sensors, so I can compare them later after work. I was just curious if anyone doing the swap has noticed the same thing. I'll be using the five speed sensor. It appears both harnesses use the same wires and order going into the plug, so I don't foresee any issue...
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Lmao I totally over read you say that

I like free kittens

Status

Didn't realize the plugs were different too, but it makes sense, prevents someone from using the wrong sensor. The only other difference that I'm aware of is the length/depth of the sensor.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

I use an Auto harness in a factory 5spd truck. For the CPS, I just swapped connectors and it works fine.
    1998 Dodge Dakota RC 5.2L 5spd - Eddie Heads, 212/218 114lsa cam, PPH headers, Vortech V2, M1 2bbl, 50mm TB
    1965 Dodge Dart 273 AT - resto project
    1990 Aztec Red 300zx Twin Turbo - not stock

Status

Quote Originally Posted by meangreen View Post
    I use an Auto harness in a factory 5spd truck. For the CPS, I just swapped connectors and it works fine.
    I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but you're the confirmation I was looking for
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert View Post
    Didn't realize the plugs were different too, but it makes sense, prevents someone from using the wrong sensor. The only other difference that I'm aware of is the length/depth of the sensor.
    Roger that, those were my thoughts as well.
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Status

I also just zip-tied off the extra connectors. If you are using a manual PCM your also going to have to ground out the AT trans switch (not the NSS) on the sensor side to close the starter relay circuit.
    1998 Dodge Dakota RC 5.2L 5spd - Eddie Heads, 212/218 114lsa cam, PPH headers, Vortech V2, M1 2bbl, 50mm TB

Status

The manual sensor just has a tab on the connector that prevents it from plugging into the auto harness' plug. I just cut the tab off with a razor blade.
    Pete
    '00 RC TKO | '14 Ram 1500 Laramie

Status

Quote Originally Posted by meangreen View Post
    I also just zip-tied off the extra connectors. If you are using a manual PCM your also going to have to ground out the AT trans switch (not the NSS) on the sensor side to close the starter relay circuit.
    The one for the reverse lights? Two wires went to the new reverse light switch and the black wire went to chassis ground. Is that what you are referring to?

Ryan wants to try tuning my automatic PCM first. He's confident that all the automatic stuff can be removed/turned off/whatever using SCT. I've got a manual PCM as well if we need it.
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Status

Quote Originally Posted by rt dak View Post
    The manual sensor just has a tab on the connector that prevents it from plugging into the auto harness' plug. I just cut the tab off with a razor blade.
    Yeah there are three alignment tabs. I will see how easily it is to de-pin the connector first. If its a pain then I will just shave off the one tab. I noticed one is centered and the other is offset...
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Status

I just tied all off all the pigtails that had no place to go, including the reverse light. I didn't mess with the reverse lights as the wire colors in harness didn't match those from my MT pigtail and I was too lazy to figure it all out at that time ... will go back and wire it up when I have time. IIRC, on my MT truck there are only two connections on the bottom side, one for the O2 and one for the reverse lights ... on the AT harness that I got there were several with no place to go.... Next time I am at the truck I will take a closer look.

Status

Default Manual ecm

Quote Originally Posted by sunike32 View Post
    The one for the reverse lights? Two wires went to the new reverse light switch and the black wire went to chassis ground. Is that what you are referring to?

Ryan wants to try tuning my automatic PCM first. He's confident that all the automatic stuff can be removed/turned off/whatever using SCT. I've got a manual PCM as well if we need it.
    do you happen to have a parts number for the ecm so I can buy one for my manual swap?

just get a tune from Flyin Ryan instead... he can make an auto ecu work with a manual trans.
    1941 Dodge 1/2 ton, 493 twin turbo, EFI, 727, 4 wheel disc brakes, custom triangulated 4 link, DANA 60, Gleason Torsen diff,

2002 Dakota R/T RC, PX8, PPH Headers, K&N FIPK, Hotchkis TVS, 20" R/T chrome rims, BFG G-Force T/A KDW 275/35 ZR20 tires, Kenwood head unit, Kenwood speakers, RF amp, 8" RF Punch Z subs

1998 Dakota RC daily driver 5.9L, AX-15 5 speed, Hooker long tube headers, FRP tune

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lex lovell View Post
    do you happen to have a parts number for the ecm so I can buy one for my manual swap?
    The last post was 7yrs ago.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

+ Reply to Thread