+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Beading and Sheeting... as a Measure of Durability

Status

Default Water Beading and Sheeting... as a Measure of Durability

From Zaino website, thought it was interesting.

Water Beading and Sheeting... as a Measure of Durability

Almost all polishes, waxes, etc. bead water initially. As they are removed, breakdown or dissipated by washing, exposure to sunlight and heat, expansion and contraction, abrasion, abrasion from pollen and other pollutants, the water beading is diminished. This is due to the reduction in surface tension of the polish or wax once it is removed or breaks down.

If the surface has any protection when there is no water beading is the subject of much controversy. Especially when the polish or wax exhibits good water beading immediately after the initial application. If there is any protection left, how would one know? There are no scientific tests to my knowledge that can determine this. Most consumers and especially wax/polish manufacturers use the reduction in the height, contact angle and diameter of water beading as a gauge to know when to re-apply polish/wax for continued protection.

If a polish/wax gives water beading initially but then stops beading after washing, part of the polish formula has been removed. If this happens, is there any protection left???? Was the chemical or film that caused the water beading also the protection????

If a manufacturer claims that their polish/wax will bead water initially and then magically change to sheeting... I say impossible!!!! Let them prove that the polish/wax film protection initially applied is still there...

Until a specific test is developed and not some fake, razzle-dazzle test, these questions will remain unanswered and I will continue to use water beading, (height, contact angle and diameter) as a major factor in gauging a polish/wax protection.

P.S. Please remember that healthy paint will bead water without any polish/wax applied. This confuses many people to believe a polish/wax is lasting longer than they think.

To test your polish/wax, you must measure the water beading of your paint (height, contact angle and diameter) without any polish/wax applied. Next, measure the water beading of your paint (height, contact angle and diameter) within 24 hours after initially applying your polish/wax. This is your starting point. This will also be the gauge for determining the water beading (longevity, duration and changes) for that specific product. As the water beads start to diminish (get wider and shallower and loses contact angle), the polish/wax and its film protection factor is going away. When the water beading is the same as before you apply your product, the polish/wax and its protection are gone.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

I was just on their site last night....my truck has been neglected.....

'78 Chrysler LeBaron - Gone
    '84 Dodge 600 - Gone
    '96 Dodge Avenger I-4 5 Spd - Gone
    '05 Neon SRT4 - Gone
    '05 Dodge Magnum RT- Gone
    '00 Dak RT- Now in TX
    '12 Challenger SRT8 - Gone
    '16 Charger Scat Pack- Gone
    '22 Ram Rebel 1500

Status

Mine too. I ordered some Z6 & Z8, I was about out. I spent a couple hrs on it with the buffer. I started w/an orange pad & Menzerna Intensive polish on the tonneau, then switched to a blue pad. That got it looking pretty good, still needs a bit more. Then, moved to the hood w/the blue pad & polish. Wow! It looks amazing! And, I haven't started any Zaino yet.
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    Mine too. I ordered some Z6 & Z8, I was about out. I spent a couple hrs on it with the buffer. I started w/an orange pad & Menzerna Intensive polish on the tonneau, then switched to a blue pad. That got it looking pretty good, still needs a bit more. Then, moved to the hood w/the blue pad & polish. Wow! It looks amazing! And, I haven't started any Zaino yet.
    Amen!! That's my combo as well...Menzerna IP or SIP, and then finish it off with Zaino
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Klass AIO and Klasse Sealant Glaze is all you'll need. I layered on the Sealant Glaze about 4 weeks ago. Everytime I wash the truck, water just beads off

I must say, it's a bitch to buff off. Normally when you wax a vehicle, you put enough wax on so that you can see it. This shit is wayyyyy different.
    Last edited by geoffbcvt; 05-05-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Status

Zaino goes on translucent. Almost can't see it. And, wipes right off. You can apply it in hot sun, rub it on your black window gaskets, windshield, whatever/wherever, it comes right off. makes black items look nearly new, no white chalky cement to try to get rid of when you're done. Works like rainx on the windows. I don't need anything else, either! polish!
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

Status

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbcvt View Post
    Klass AIO and Klasse Sealant Glaze is all you'll need. I layered on the Sealant Glaze about 4 weeks ago. Everytime I wash the truck, water just beads off

I must say, it's a bitch to buff off. Normally when you wax a vehicle, you put enough wax on so that you can see it. This shit is wayyyyy different.
    Zaino is such that if you can see it, you're likely using too much...
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Quote Originally Posted by sunike32 View Post
    Zaino is such that if you can see it, you're likely using too much...
    I screwed that up the first time I used Klasse. I used half of what I normally use when I use a regular polish. I've never had such a bitch of a time trying to get polish off a vehicle before.

+ Reply to Thread