+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why does my gray truck have a secondary paint color?

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Default Why does my gray truck have a secondary paint color?

I have an ugly spot on my passenger side door and I am finally getting the door repainted (yea!). I have a solid gray truck and the painter wanted my paint codes, but the tag in my glove compartment lists both a "PRIMARY PAINT" (PSB) and a "Secondary Paint" (QSB). What could the secondary color possibly be since I have a single-color vehicle? Is it the black on the bumpers? Is it the type of clear coat? It wouldn't be the interior color since this label clearly says "paint" and the factory doesn't paint the interior pieces. I checked the VIN on the sticker and it is the VIN of my vehicle.

DRTC Member #1146

Status

Could be because the silver is a metallic finish not a solid color

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    218/226 Comp Cam, Stage 1 Ported EQ Heads, PRW 1.6 Roller Rockers, PIE Custom Tune, Full spintech exhaust with 3" side exit, 52mm Holley, Ported Kegger, Viper E-Fan, Powerdemon Trans, Hotchkis Springs, Leafs and Sway Bars, R/T 20's, Gen 3 viper seats, Custom "Rejected" State Inspection Sticker
    Plenty More to come

They all had a primary and secondary paint code. The two tone trucks would have paint codes respective of the two different colors. The single color trucks would have primary and secondary codes that both represent the same color- in your case (and mine) PSB and QSB both represent bright silver metallic.

Drops panties faster than any R/T

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wyotech_cuda440 View Post
    They all had a primary and secondary paint code. The two tone trucks would have paint codes respective of the two different colors. The single color trucks would have primary and secondary codes that both represent the same color- in your case (and mine) PSB and QSB both represent bright silver metallic.

OK that makes sense. I wonder if "SB" is actually the color so PSB might mean something like "Primary region is silver" and QSB would mean "lower portion is silver".

I'm just excited that I will soon be able to take a nice picture of the passenger side of my truck for the first time ever!

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me or not. I recently decided I want fender flares and found a 2-tone '00 Durango with silver flares. I took the lone salvageable flare and I honestly can't tell if it is the same paint color or not. It looks a hint darker, but who knows if that is due to differences in the angle (flares flare out against the fender) or sunlight exposure during the decade or so these vehicles have been around.

My paint color codes are PSB for PRIMARY PAINT and a QSB for SECONDARY PAINT which is screwy because both sections are the same color. The codes from the durango were PX8 for PRIMARY PAINT and QX8 for the SECONDARY PAINT. Maybe the '8' really was a 'B'... damn I even thought about taking a picture of the glove box sticker.

Am I just seeing things or did Dodge really use two nearly identical but different silver shades on these Durango/Dakota vehicles?

Maybe I'll take a photo but I don't even know if it would show up in a picture.

+ Reply to Thread