+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: well look who it is

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SB440R/T View Post
    Pretty sure a locker stays locked all the time. The truetrac unlocks around turns.
    A Detroit Locker is a ratcheting differential. Whe going around a turn it allows the outboard wheel to spin independent of the inboard wheel. Here's a video of its operation.

Quote Originally Posted by ironsport1000 View Post
    As long as you dont give me a 3 page diatribe about the dyes that were used to make the tee black and the shrink ratio if you use the high temp setting on your dryer causing the "Joe Dirt" look. Or, the advantages of the use of FOL tees over Beefy tee or the ratio of rayon or polyester to cotton used to make the tees and the sweat retention of both. Or the country that made the tees or the stitch count that hold the sleeves on, or (insert Charlie Brown's teacher here)wawawawa wawa wawa

Got Beer?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaNash View Post
    A Detroit Locker is a ratcheting differential. Whe going around a turn it allows the outboard wheel to spin independent of the inboard wheel. Here's a video of its operation.

Hmmm, then why the truetrac?
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

*Disclaimer - All suggestions given for performance modifications is assuming that you live close or at Sea Level

Status

Also a trutrac is an entirely different animal. Yet another video of how a truetrac operates.

As long as you dont give me a 3 page diatribe about the dyes that were used to make the tee black and the shrink ratio if you use the high temp setting on your dryer causing the "Joe Dirt" look. Or, the advantages of the use of FOL tees over Beefy tee or the ratio of rayon or polyester to cotton used to make the tees and the sweat retention of both. Or the country that made the tees or the stitch count that hold the sleeves on, or (insert Charlie Brown's teacher here)wawawawa wawa wawa

Status

Hmmm, then why the truetrac?
    Truetrac is not as harsh in its engagement. In fact, for what Clint does, it's probably the best option for him to go with.

Hey dickcheese, a spool would do the same thing to a stock axle on the street with street tires. A detroit locker will not because it disengages the outer tire in a turn when you aren't applying a lot of throttle. But, since I'm the one who continued to tell you this in your build thread and proved myself right about you breaking a stock axle, I've got nothing to prove. Oh, BTW, I never said that specifically welding your spider gears over a spool would increase the possibility of a broken axle. But again, I've got nothing to prove to you dumbass. Now I'm going to let this die here on the DRTC forums.
    ... DUDE. it engages when you are on the throttle... YOU JUST SAID it only disengages when you arent applying throttle. my axle didnt break while i was coasting around a corner... ANY locker is FULLY LOCKED when torque is applied to the pinion gear... whether its around a corner or not. it doesnt matter how much throttle youre applying, and torque from the pinion gear will lock the axle. there is no SLIP like a limited slip, its completely locked. JUST LIKE A SPOOL. so if you are on the gas AT ALL around a corner, its fully locked. ESPECIALLY when you are powersliding a corner and even when wheelhopping any locker will be fully engaged causing just as much stress as a spool.

idk how to explain this any simpliar. does anyone else understand what im saying?

the only thing lockers are good for is in tight parking spots, they will unlock and allow the tires to rotate different speeds WHILE YOUR OFF THE GAS. even at 1mph backing into a parking spot, when you tap the gas to back in, the locker will lock. thats why you hear the tires chirp in parking lots EVEN WITH A DETROIT.

you do have something to prove. how many differentials have you built? how many different lockers have you had? how many axles have you broke? HOW MANY SPOOLED/LOCKED/WELDED CARS HAVE YOU EVER EVEN DRIVEN IN? you have no idea what youre talking about. the axle would have broke w/ or w/o a detroit.

fyi ratchet lockers (lunchbox lockers) are junk. ive had them on jeeps and they wear out. they also replace the spider gears. they are the weakest locker. then when you go around off the gas (when they disengage) they make all kinds of noise from the ratcheting action. but as soon as you tap the gas it locks and is full posi.

Truetrac is not as harsh in its engagement. In fact, for what Clint does, it's probably the best option for him to go with.
    please show me any car thats made to slide around corners that doesnt have a spool. because you are so versed in whats necessary to get sideways.

Got Beer?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by clint282cc View Post
    ... DUDE. it engages when you are on the throttle... YOU JUST SAID it only disengages when you arent applying throttle. my axle didnt break while i was coasting around a corner... ANY locker is FULLY LOCKED when torque is applied to the pinion gear... whether its around a corner or not. it doesnt matter how much throttle youre applying, and torque from the pinion gear will lock the axle. there is no SLIP like a limited slip, its completely locked. JUST LIKE A SPOOL. so if you are on the gas AT ALL around a corner, its fully locked. ESPECIALLY when you are powersliding a corner and even when wheelhopping any locker will be fully engaged causing just as much stress as a spool.

idk how to explain this any simpliar. does anyone else understand what im saying?

the only thing lockers are good for is in tight parking spots, they will unlock and allow the tires to rotate different speeds WHILE YOUR OFF THE GAS. even at 1mph backing into a parking spot, when you tap the gas to back in, the locker will lock. thats why you hear the tires chirp in parking lots EVEN WITH A DETROIT.

you do have something to prove. how many differentials have you built? how many different lockers have you had? how many axles have you broke? HOW MANY SPOOLED/LOCKED/WELDED CARS HAVE YOU EVER EVEN DRIVEN IN? you have no idea what youre talking about. the axle would have broke w/ or w/o a detroit.

fyi ratchet lockers (lunchbox lockers) are junk. ive had them on jeeps and they wear out. they also replace the spider gears. they are the weakest locker. then when you go around off the gas (when they disengage) they make all kinds of noise from the ratcheting action. but as soon as you tap the gas it locks and is full posi.
    I thought it locked when you turned. This makes more sense now.
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

*Disclaimer - All suggestions given for performance modifications is assuming that you live close or at Sea Level

Status

Good luck breaking axles asshole.

Got Beer?

Status

Good luck breaking axles asshole.
    You are being that guy.
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

You are being that guy.
    hes being a douche right? he refuses to read my post thus he doesnt understand that an axle will break with a locker or spool.

i seriously dont know how to get through to this guy. ive explained this multiple times and he doesnt get it. maybe someone else can chime in here and back me up. hes blinded by his own ignorance and stupidity.

Status

please show me any car thats made to slide around corners that doesnt have a spool. because you are so versed in whats necessary to get sideways.
    Show me a drift car that runs on the street with stock axles and a spool?

1. what does the street have to do with anything? formula D has a main event on the streets of long beach... does that count?

2. youtube drift car or 240 drift car... they all run stock axles ON THE STREET. whats the difference from street to track again? all those hipsters with beat ass 240s and missing bumpers and stickers all over, 99% of them run stock axles, stock carrier, stock gears, with welded spiders. why? because its SUPER cheap and the most predictable.

please explain to me what validates you to have any say so on any of this? your truck is stock (or close to it) correct? you didnt answer my question on what lockers you have ran/ridden in... have you been to a drift event? have you built a drift car? do you know someone with a drift car? have you ever gotten your truck sideways? have you ever been in a drift car? have you ever felt an open rearend go from posi to one wheel and back? serious question. cause if im arguing with a guy who bench races on a forum all day and works behind a desk and never touches a wrench, then ill understand why you are... the way you are.

do you really not understand the concept that a locker is fully locked like a spool/welded when torque is applied?
    Last edited by clint282cc; 02-23-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Status

1. what does the street have to do with anything? formula D has a main event on the streets of long beach... does that count?

2. youtube drift car or 240 drift car... they all run stock axles ON THE STREET. whats the difference from street to track again? all those hipsters with beat ass 240s and missing bumpers and stickers all over, 99% of them run stock axles, stock carrier, stock gears, with welded spiders. why? because its SUPER cheap and the most predictable.

please explain to me what validates you to have any say so on any of this? your truck is stock (or close to it) correct? you didnt answer my question on what lockers you have ran/ridden in... have you been to a drift event? have you built a drift car? do you know someone with a drift car? have you ever gotten your truck sideways? have you ever been in a drift car? have you ever felt an open rearend go from posi to one wheel and back? serious question. cause if im arguing with a guy who bench races on a forum all day and works behind a desk and never touches a wrench, then ill understand why you are... the way you are.

do you really not understand the concept that a locker is fully locked like a spool/welded when torque is applied?
    Let's start of by saying that running your setup on the STREET is totally unsafe to you and anyone around you. I have driven a car with a Detroit Locker. My first car was an 84 Monte Carlo SS. I built the car from stock to run mid 10s in the quarter. The rear end was a Currie 9" Ford with 4.56s and the locker. It had 35 spline Strange axles. And because it was a 9", the axles were positively retained. Also, I rarely drove it on the street, and when I did it was with ET Streets with like 15psi of air in the tires. I also didn't show boat while driving it on the street.Your 9.25 have c-clip axles that went the axle gives, it can shoot out the side. So, you really think your setup is safe for the street? I mean, you already broke an axle once. What are you going to do if, God forbid, you lose an axle at speed? My whole point was I told you you had a good chance of breaking it, and you did break it. I understand where you're coming from, but your logic is flawed. And half assing your ride will come back to bite you in the end. I just hope that you don't hurt yourself or someone else in the process.

Status

Well I will voice my opinion that Clint is being a fucking douche in this thread just like I have seen him be in other threads. But, I have been in his shoes knowing that I was right and getting shit on or posts deleted because I wasn't PC.
    So, Carry on clint You are right.
    99 R/T RC IB
    Megasquirt II
    53%
    The eternal realist, If you don't like what I have to say put me on your ignore list

SpoR/T driver

Status

Welded axles or not, that truck looks and sounds like it fuckin' gets down and goes lol

'98 RC/SB - Hellcat/6 Speed Swapped
    10.18@139.8mph
    '00 AF RC R/T Under Construction!
    '01 IB RC R/T Under Construction!
    '99 SY CC R/T Sold
    '00 AF RC R/T Sold
    DRTC Member #1181

Got Beer?

Status

Your 9.25 have c-clip axles that went the axle gives, it can shoot out the side.
    Have you ever seen a 9.25 axle break a C clip? And disc brakes in the rear add a little safety to it.
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

Dirty Jerzey

Status

Not sure about the locker but with the true trac even if the c clip somehow broke it would still hold the axle in place. The clip has no room to fall out. The locker might be set up the same but idk.

2002 AB CC R/T (R.I.P)
    11.52@116.61 w/1.67 60'.

2002 AB QC 4.7 4x4

www.schroermasonry.com
    Facebook.com/SchroerMasonry

Status

Have you ever seen a 9.25 axle break a C clip? And disc brakes in the rear add a little safety to it.
    It's not the c-clip I was talking about, it's the axle itself breaking. The c-clip in these axles are the only thing holding the axle in the tube. That's a big reason why drag racers use Ford 9" rear ends. The axles are retained at the end of the axle tube. If one of those axles break, it doesn't come shooting out. Now aftermarket axles in a 9.25 that are built strong enough to handle those wheelhops without breaking could help him to not break axles. As for disc brakes holding an axle that's broke, if he's at speed when it breaks, guaranteed that those brakes wouldn't hold it in. And yes, under power, a locker will act just like a spool, but will allow disengagement when your idling around or coasting around a corner. No way I would use a spool/welded diff on the street with street tires. Would anyone else on here?

The disc brakes held it in when it did break. Even limped it back to the shop a mile away.

Your solution is to make stronger axles and a Detroit... My solution is to stop the wheelhop that shouldn't be there in the first place. If your admitting that a locker does the same thing around corners as a spool... then why is it unsafe for a spool?

Non c clip axles are safer and I wouldn't trust the two caliper bolts to hold the axle in at speed. BUT the axle won't break as speed. It will break when it gets wheel hop. thats it.

If your argument was only about stronger axles i would ALMOST agree with you but your saying a welded rear would make a difference from a Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkxracing View Post
    Well I will voice my opinion that Clint is being a fucking douche in this thread just like I have seen him be in other threads. But, I have been in his shoes knowing that I was right and getting shit on or posts deleted because I wasn't PC.
    So, Carry on clint You are right.
    Idc if someone doesn't like me or thinks the shit I do is stupid. But wjen someone tells me that FACTS are wrong and they think they know Wtf they are talking about it pisses me off. At least I admit when I'm wrong ESPECIALLY when I do dumb ahit like over torque lugs and do burnouts in crowded areas. But lesson learned. I bring a torque wrench with me every time I swap tires and my tires don't spin unless no one is around.

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

I'd use a spool if they made one. I don't drive it that often, so I could put up with the harshness.
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3