+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Differences in years

---Under Construction---

Status

Damn, there sure are a lot of differences! I changed the style of the list to make it easier to understand, I think it works better than the format I had. Let me know if there is misinformation, I think there will be some differences as one person might disagree with another, so we need to verify it by multiple persons. Mods if you see anything wrong, feel free to fix it

Let me know what you guys think so far!

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

---Under Construction---

Status

Quote Originally Posted by chase1500 View Post
    I have owned my truck for 14 years and know every inch of it. But every time I come to this forum I learn something new about it. Thanks to all for the info.
    Amen

It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

---Under Construction---

Status

Quote Originally Posted by KicknAsphlt View Post
    Never heard of that....

Just so you know, my truck was manufactured 12/99, and I have the 'new style' radiator setup. Pretty sure that change started at the beginning of the '00 production run, not later on through it.

Got it!

Also, trans tunnel was changed, so the center consoles of a 98/99 won't fit a '00 and vice-versa.

If the center console wont fit, is this because the interior changed or solely because of the trans tunnel? Is the 98/99 console the same style as 01?

Also don't think it was mentioned, but IIRC, the trans casing was changed in '01, I think it was narrowed...so you could put a newer trans in an older truck (physically), but not an older trans in a newer truck.

Status

Awesome thread!
    The Rides:
    2000 Black & Orange RC R/T (1 of 321)-Project Money Pit-Future ZCode truck
    2000 Flame Red CC R/T (1 of 800)- Light mods, show worthy
    2009 Yamaha Raider Raven 113ci (1900cc)
    2005 Cavalier LS Sport (DD-Canadian Z24 version)
    1953 Buick Skylark (1 of 1,690-estimated less than 50 known to exist)

DRTC #149

Status

I am going to put in bold what need to be fixed ...

-99-01 Old interior (rounded/wavey door panels, rounded a pillars, vertical climate control knobs, easily removable dash bezel)
    -98-99 V8 magnum badge on front fenders (holes in fender & alighnment pins)
    -98-01, hood emblem, "dodge" over the ram head written in white (detailed but with less relief in them)
    -98-99 Red R/T logos on black trucks
    -On the cluster, ODO Display is a backlit LCD display vs the numerically lit digi-numbers in later years.
    -Different manufacturer and finish on factory wheels vs later years
    -98-99 2 into 1 cat from the factory.
    -98-99 4 O2 sensors
    -98-Early 00 R/T's had gauge clusters with 6000rpm tachs
    -98-99 Harmonic balancer/pulley is 2 separate pieces.
    -98-00 bumpers are two piece, either painted ( RT/Sport) or chrome ( SLT etc ) top piece, with the lower being either body color, or a textured grey with either fog openings or just the indent for the fogs.
    - Headlamp switch is push pull old style, with a separate button for the fog lights.

-Mid 99+, wiper cowl changed style. Early 99's featured 98 style cowl.
    -99+ Headlight switch changed from a pull out to a twist knob with integrated foglight
    -99+ Overhead console/computer available
    -door/cab stickers list a "15 X 8" wheel size

-Old interior; however,feature the new style seats.
    -00+New style radiator cover with windshield washer res. inside. Larger look and equipped with electrical and mechanical fan.
    -V8 badges were stuck on (no holes in fender or alignment pins)
    -00+ Notch in frame on passenger side for exhaust clearance.
    -Valve body/sensor change 00/01
    -00+ Y'd before the cat
    -2 O2 sensors
    -00+ trans tunnel change (cannot swap center consoles)
    -Some late 2000+ R/T's had the 'old style' cluster but with 7000rpm tachs
    -Somewhere around late 2000+ R/T's stopped shipping with the under-hood insulating pad and light
    -00+ models didn't just change radiator covers, entire radiator changed. cap moved from top of radiator to middle of upper hose, radiator shifted forward underneath the crossbar and trans cooler added to bottom opening.
    -00+ sway bars switch from solid to hallow and increase in diameter (~1.35" dia).
    -00-0? Black trucks have silver decals

-01+ New style interior. (Rounded dash, squared door panels, a pillars more squared, squared center console)
    -01+ New style of seats.
    -01+ Horizontal climate control knobs
    -01+ V8 magnum badge removed
    -01+Sleeker, medium sized towing mirrors replaced the large dumbo mirrors (note:small mirrors available for all years)
    -Valve body/sensor change 00/01
    -Switched back to 4 O2 sensors.
    -01-03 R/T's had a different gauge cluster design (3d wraparound) with 7000rpm tachs
    -01+ Front bumper changed. The new style bumper has a large rectangular hole beneath the fog light and is also placed a little close to the center than the fog light, and are a one piece full cover design.
    -01+ bumpers take different outer mounting brackets
    -01+ pillar grab bars (Oh shit handles!)
    -01+more angular styled RAM head
    -01+ Silver r/t logos replaces red logos
    -01+ One piece harmonic balancer/pulley set up

-Mid year 02+, factory chrome wheels available
    -Graphite metallic is 02-03 only
    -Atlantic blue is 02-03 only

-Rear disk brakes (only year)
    -Stampede body kit as a factory option
    -R/T script became squared
    -R/T logo on tailgate lowered
    -Leather interior (?)
    -Shipped with a soft tonneau cover
    -Did not have door decals - only the tailgate
    -Did not ship with ashtrays unless smokers package was added
    -Front brake rotors are larger than previous years
    -2 piston front brake calipers

*If feature continued it will be stated as "+" (ex. 01+ or 99+).
    **If a feature was only for one year it will be listed without a "+" or listed year. If feature was for only certain years it will be stated (98-99).
    [/QUOTE]

99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

[KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

Ya i have a black 99 rt and my badges are red and i have the over head console but no display

DRTC #149

Status

Just thought of one other thing to add to the "list"

98 alternator and alternator harness are unique to that year. In 98 the field and ground wiring is bolted to the back of the alternator with 2 6mm screws and 2 10mm screws. In the 99+ trucks its a simple plug ( The one that Adobedude let his Beagle sample... long story )

Lets keep this list updated and probably stickied. Too much good info to let it get lost IMO.

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

---Under Construction---

Status

When I get home tonight ill do it from my computer, PITA from my phone.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Maybe I'm just missing it, but I would like an article or FAQ or something that would explain the differences between the R/T and other Dakota configurations. All I know is that the US RT has the 5.9L, the Brazilian came with the 5.2L, that they are all factory automatics, 4x2, none were quad cabs, and they have a solid-color front bumper matching the body paint. I'm not even sure if these are just traits of the RT that could be found on other Dakotas or traits that are exclusive to the RT.

I haven't been able to put this into a search topic that would avoid a zillion false hits, I don't see a sticky in the General or FAQ forums, and I kinda thought the main homepage might have info on the differences but I'm just not seeing anything.

The 2000's do have holes in the fenders and alignment pins in the V8 badges.

my 00 had the holes but when they were replaced i went back with 01+ fenders to get away from the holes since i didnt go back with the badges.

also my 98 sport came with agate interior, the windshield interior pillar pieces are different from the 00.

the brake pads are also different in 98 since the caliper piston inside is smaller

my 00 was produced in late 99 as it came with a 2 piece crank pulley
    Last edited by Addicted2Blue00; 03-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Brad
    00 CC IB sport 360
    98 RC white sport mildly worked v6, used as a truck!

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Steve '02CC View Post
    Maybe I'm just missing it, but I would like an article or FAQ or something that would explain the differences between the R/T and other Dakota configurations. All I know is that the US RT has the 5.9L, the Brazilian came with the 5.2L, that they are all factory automatics, 4x2, none were quad cabs, and they have a solid-color front bumper matching the body paint. I'm not even sure if these are just traits of the RT that could be found on other Dakotas or traits that are exclusive to the RT.

I haven't been able to put this into a search topic that would avoid a zillion false hits, I don't see a sticky in the General or FAQ forums, and I kinda thought the main homepage might have info on the differences but I'm just not seeing anything.
    I do not believe that there are specifically ANY parts, other than the wheels, that are exclusive to the RT. All of the parts in one way shape or form could be found on other Dakotas or Rams of similar vintage.

With that said, the RT was a unique PACKAGE of parts, and was the only way that you could get all of those parts in one package. For instance, the wheel flares, up until the SXT badged trucks, the RT was the only way to get those flares on a 2wd. But they were standard on the 4X4 trucks.

The body colored fascias was part of the Sport package which the RT package was based on. The changes from the Sport to the RT included, RT wheels, 1" lower suspension, 2wd only, 5.9/46RE combo, body color wheel flares, and possibly a couple other things that I am forgetting off the top of my head. But thats basically it.

To us gear heads, its a Big motor in a sexy truck. Nuff said.

Danno

Blown and Squirted

Status

For the 00/01 valvebody sensor issue:

I believe the sensor pack and connector changed in 00, and the valve body and case changed in 01. The 00 change was from metal to plastic sensors and the 01 change was to facilitate the electronic range idicator stuff.

I believe the valvebody is the same for 96-00, just the sensorpack is changed in 00.

You can use a new case in an old truck if you buy a sonnax adapter for the nss/range sensor. You can't use an old case in a new truck.

Correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by Five9Dak; 03-04-2013 at 03:11 PM.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
    For the 00/01 valvebody sensor issue:

I believe the sensor pack and connector changed in 00, and the valve body and case changed in 01. The 00 change was from metal to plastic sensors and the 01 change was to facilitate the electronic range idicator stuff.

I believe the valvebody is the same for 96-00, just the sensorpack is changed in 00.

You can use a new case in an old truck if you buy a sonnax adapter for the nss/range sensor. You can't use an old case in a new truck.

Correct me if I am wrong.
    I had thought that the VB and sensor change both happened at the same time?

Cant argue with your other points

Blown and Squirted

Status

I think 00 has newer plastic sensors and older, normal NSS. (not the really old plug found on stuff before ~1990)

We tried to retrofit the 96-99 sensors to a 00 model, and the computer didn't like it. I am not personally familiar with the 01 case and range indicator stuff. I did some research when 5+ people with 01 trucks wanted to buy my 99 transmission.
    Last edited by Five9Dak; 03-04-2013 at 07:00 PM.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I do not believe that there are specifically ANY parts, other than the wheels, that are exclusive to the RT. All of the parts in one way shape or form could be found on other Dakotas or Rams of similar vintage.

With that said, the RT was a unique PACKAGE of parts, and was the only way that you could get all of those parts in one package. For instance, the wheel flares, up until the SXT badged trucks, the RT was the only way to get those flares on a 2wd. But they were standard on the 4X4 trucks.

The body colored fascias was part of the Sport package which the RT package was based on. The changes from the Sport to the RT included, RT wheels, 1" lower suspension, 2wd only, 5.9/46RE combo, body color wheel flares, and possibly a couple other things that I am forgetting off the top of my head. But thats basically it.

To us gear heads, its a Big motor in a sexy truck. Nuff said.

Danno
    Thanks for the info. Ever since I found out about this site's national meet I've had R/Ts on the mind and it seems like I can almost always figure out a Dakota is an RT from a distance.

DRTC #149

Status

I think 00 has newer plastic sensors and older, normal NSS. (not the really old plug found on stuff before ~1990)

We tried to retrofit the 96-99 sensors to a 00 model, and the computer didn't like it. I am not personally familiar with the 01 case and range indicator stuff. I did some research when 5+ people with 01 trucks wanted to buy my 99 transmission.
    For some reason I think the case change happened in 00.... 00 was kind of an oddball transition year in many ways.

But I had always understood that there was only 2 trans combos for these trucks, 98+ and 00 or 01 to 03. I dont think we have ever REALLY nailed that one down. Maybe you and I can figure it out between us with my factory cataloging and your knowledge of the systems.... Sounds like a good thing to know for sure

dealership showed the gov pressure sensor had different part numbers for 99 and 00, they looked the exact same to me tho, the whole inside wiring harness does have different pin positions tho from 99 and 00 but both have the same plug. looking at a 99 valvebody and an 00's they looked the exact same and even the cast numbers were the same
    Brad
    00 CC IB sport 360
    98 RC white sport mildly worked v6, used as a truck!

Blown and Squirted

Status

All that supports what I've seen working on 99 and 00 transmissions. The sonnax catalog specifies the case difference in 01 with the range sensor instead of NSS.

DRTC #149

Status

All that supports what I've seen working on 99 and 00 transmissions. The sonnax catalog specifies the case difference in 01 with the range sensor instead of NSS.
    So effectively 3 different trans for these trucks over the run eh? with 00 being unique....

thats quite great info to have actually.

Danno

Status

This maybe a stupid question but what is IIRC mean?

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndDakota View Post
    This maybe a stupid question but what is IIRC mean?
    If I Remember Correctly.

Us old pharts use it alot, because our memory no worky so good anymore

Status

is there a difference in the shocks for different years. just asking cause on qa1 they only go up to 99 dakota's.

Status

im thinking the front shocks were all the same only difference later on was the spindles
    1999 solar fire reboot
    Gas-Beat-Repeat

Status

99-2000 trans cooler switched from verticals to horizontal mounting
    The Rides:
    2000 Black & Orange RC R/T (1 of 321)-Project Money Pit-Future ZCode truck
    2000 Flame Red CC R/T (1 of 800)- Light mods, show worthy
    2009 Yamaha Raider Raven 113ci (1900cc)
    2005 Cavalier LS Sport (DD-Canadian Z24 version)
    1953 Buick Skylark (1 of 1,690-estimated less than 50 known to exist)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast