+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Differences in years

---Under Construction---

Status

Default Differences in years

I was just thinking about this today while at work and figured it would be a good idea to have in here. A thread that just lists all the differences in the years such as differences in colors, interior, motor, trans, brakes, etc. Make a master list and possibly sticky it? Any other ideas, just chime in If we already have this than my bad boys
    I had a few questions to, when did the chrome wheels come out? When did the rad set up change over? Different style mirrors? This is only differences in r/ts too....

-99-01 Old interior (rounded/wavey door panels, rounded a pillars, vertical climate control knobs, easily removable dash bezel)
    -98-00 V8 magnum badge on front fenders (holes in fender & alighnment pins)
    -98-01, hood emblem, "dodge" over the ram head written in white (detailed but with less relief in them)
    -98-01 Red R/T logos on black trucks
    -On the cluster, ODO Display is a backlit LCD display vs the numerically lit digi-numbers in later years.
    -Different finish on factory wheels vs later years
    -98-99 2 into 1 cat from the factory.
    -98-99 4 O2 sensors
    -98-Early 00 R/T's had gauge clusters with 6000rpm tachs
    -98-99 Harmonic balancer/pulley is 2 separate pieces.
    -98-00 bumpers are two piece, either painted ( RT/Sport) or chrome ( SLT etc ) top piece, with the lower being either body color, or a textured grey with either fog openings or just the indent for the fogs.

-Mid 99+, wiper cowl changed style. Early 99's featured 98 style cowl.
    -99+ Headlight switch changed from a pull out to a twist knob
    -99+ Overhead console/computer available
    -door/cab stickers list a "15 X 8" wheel size

-Old interior; however,feature the new style seats.
    -00+New style radiator cover with windshield washer res. inside. Larger look and equipped with electrical fan.
    -V8 badges were stuck on (no holes in fender or alignment pins)
    -01+ Notch in frame on passenger side for exhaust clearance.
    -Valve body/sensor change 00/01
    -00+ Y'd before the cat
    -2 O2 sensors
    -00+ trans tunnel change (cannot swap center consoles)
    -Some late 2000+ R/T's had the 'old style' cluster but with 7000rpm tachs
    -Somewhere around late 2000+ R/T's stopped shipping with the under-hood insulating pad and light
    -00+ models didn't just change radiator covers, entire radiator changed. cap moved from top of radiator to middle of upper hose, radiator shifted forward underneath the crossbar and trans cooler added to bottom opening.
    -00+ sway bars switch from solid to hallow and increase in diameter (~1.35" dia).

-01+ New style interior. (Rounded dash, squared door panels, a pillars more squared, squared center console)
    -01+ New style of seats.
    -01+ Horizontal climate control knobs
    -01+ V8 magnum badge removed
    -01+Sleeker, medium sized towing mirrors replaced the large dumbo mirrors (note:small mirrors available for all years)
    -Valve body/sensor change 00/01
    -Switched back to 2 O2 sensors.
    -01-03 R/T's had a different gauge cluster design (3d wraparound) with 7000rpm tachs
    -01+ Front bumper changed. The new style bumper has a large rectangular hole beneath the fog light and is also placed a little close to the center than the fog light
    -01+ bumpers take different outer mounting bracket
    -01+ pillar grab bars (Oh shit handles!)
    -01+more angular styled RAM head
    -01+ Silver r/t logos replaces red logos
    -01+ One piece harmonic balancer/pulley set up

-Mid year 02+, factory chrome wheels available
    -Graphite metallic is 02-03 only
    -Atlantic blue is 02-03 only

-Rear disk brakes (only year)
    -Stampede body kit as a factory option
    -R/T script became squared
    -R/T logo on tailgate lowered
    -Leather interior (?)
    -Shipped with a soft tonneau cover
    -Did not have door decals - only the tailgate
    -Did not ship with ashtrays unless smokers package was added
    -Front brake rotors are larger than previous years
    -2 piston front brake calipers

*If feature continued it will be stated as "+" (ex. 01+ or 99+).
    **If a feature was only for one year it will be listed without a "+" or listed year. If feature was for only certain years it will be stated (98-99).
    Last edited by Kingst3r; 01-24-2013 at 01:49 AM.

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

IIRC, 2000s had old interior with the new style seats. Also the chrome wheels came out in mid 2002.
    Last edited by WicKed R/T; 01-22-2013 at 02:19 AM.
    3/13/13 R.I.P.

14.18@97mph

SoLA Mopar Club

Rad. change was in 2000 and chrome wheels were late 2002 and 2003 when they went to disc. brake rear end.

13 Second Club

Status

2002-2003 chrome wheels
    2003 disc brakes
    98 to 00 v8 magnum emblem on front fender
    2003 R/T script more squared
    Stampede kit only in 2003
    Leather interior available in 2003 (not 100% sure...)
    I might be wrong on this, but about the mirrors, the small not-folding ones were use on all years models. The folding models changed in 2001 from the huge dumbos to the medium ones...

By the colors:
    Deep amethyst is 98-99 only
    Solar yellow is 99-00 only (enven if 00 sy are pretty rare since they were 99 left overs...)
    Graphite metallic is 02-03 only
    Atlantic blue is 02-03 only

Note that I'm talking about R/T only, not Dakota in general...
    Last edited by 5.9 R/T; 01-22-2013 at 04:03 AM.
    2002 Dakota R/T CC
    13.75@99.42MPH
    1.7 RR, 160° T-Stat, 4.56 Gears, 52mm TB, Caltracs, Hotchkis TVS, K&N FIPK, M&H Drag Radial, M1 Intake, QA1's Shocks, SCT Tuner, Spintech Mid-Lenght Headers, Spintech True Dual Exhaust, Street Edge Converter, TransGo Shift Kit

Status

The wiper cowl changed after 98 too. Not sure if it changed again after that or not.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

---Under Construction---

Status

Great info guys, I am learning a lot. What about overhead console, available in all years? How about heated mirrors? When did the gauge cluster change, when the interior changed? When did the tach go from 6-7k, again with the interior? When did the yellow appear on the tach as well? I know the r/t location changed on the tailgate too....
    Last edited by Kingst3r; 01-22-2013 at 04:50 AM.

It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

Accumulating parts...

Status

'01 Graphite...
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Status

Red r/t logo's only available in 98, (I think) Again, I believe overhead consoles not available in 98.
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

WhiteTrash&LiLOrangeFuror

Status

00+ have a notch in the frame on the passenger side for exhaust clearance.
    Fu·ror noun \ˈfyu̇r-ˌȯr, -ər\ : an angry or maniacal fit

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    Red r/t logo's only available in 98, (I think) Again, I believe overhead consoles not available in 98.
    I think all the black Rt's in 98-99 had red decals the 00+ had silver ones.
    A buddy of mine also has a 99 Rt and his over head console doesn't have the display but my 00 does,

WhiteTrash&LiLOrangeFuror

Status

I think all but black 01+ had black decals. Black had white.

03+ the decal configuration changed on the tailgate.
    Fu·ror noun \ˈfyu̇r-ˌȯr, -ər\ : an angry or maniacal fit

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

'98 was the only year that had an old style pull-out headlight switch. Starting in '99, it was a rotary switch.

As for stickers; I know the black trucks had red stickers until 2000, then they were silver.
    Last edited by White Turbo; 01-22-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

PABBADS - "Danno Level 3"

Status

I wish 2003 came in purple....I would name my truck, "The purple people eater!"
    Matt
    DRTC # 1163

Are all 98 interiors mutts? I have light grey door panels and dark grey dash and tan sunvisor clips.

Built 3/31/98
    Now supercharged

DRTC #149

Status

Actually the changeover on the wiper cowl was mid 99. Early 99's came with the 98 style cowl too.

Also something else that I dont see mentioned, the 98 cluster is different than the rest. The ODO Display is a backlit LCD display vs the numerically lit digi-numbers of the later years. Alan already mentioned the pullout headlamp switch and separate pushbutton foglamp switch for 98's.

00 was the first year of the O shit handle IIRC.

Also 98 wheels were a different part#, same basic look, but if you see them side by side you can tell there was a slight difference in the quality of the parts/finish.

98's interiors were also predominately the lighter Mist Grey, with a very few made in the darker Agate, aka black. 99 went the other way, a few Mist greys, with most in Agate.

00-01 was a valvebody/sensor change.

I believe 02 or 03 they deleted the upper windshield molding from production. The earlier one off of the 98+ trucks can be used with no issues, as the side moldings are the same.

98-99 had a 2 into 1 cat from the factory. 00+ Y'd before the cat.

98-99 and 01-04 had 4 02's, where the 00 trucks only had 2 total.

98-99 have the harmonic balancer/pulley as separate pieces, 00+ was a one piece assembly.

White was 00-01 only IIRC.

Silver was also a 01-02 only color as well IIRC.

Ill think of more as the day goes on I am sure
    Last edited by Danno; 01-22-2013 at 03:01 PM.

99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

[KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

Status

Were there any 98 r/t's with the overhead console? Full function or the smaller one?
    Tom & my 99 DA CC are from Canada, mine has the full function overhead, his has the small one. Is it just the way someone filled out the build sheet?
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    Were there any 98 r/t's with the overhead console? Full function or the smaller one?
    Tom & my 99 DA CC are from Canada, mine has the full function overhead, his has the small one. Is it just the way someone filled out the build sheet?
    98's were 99% all built one way. There was no ordering from the factory in 98, the dealers got shipped what the factory decided to build. There were a VERY few that were optioned differently, but they are very rare. I have only seen 1 98 that had the overhead console.

The way MOST 98's were optioned was this:

HD Cooling ( Aux trans cooler, PS cooler etc )
    HD Electrical ( 136A alternator )
    A/C
    Fogs
    Power windows
    Cruise
    The better Infinity CD/Tape/EQ system ( REQ? )
    Mist Grey interiors
    Rear sliding window
    No overhead console
    Small mirrors
    No security

I might be missing a couple smaller things, but thats what I remember off the top based on my 2 98's and dozens of other ones I have seen.

In 99, customers could actually order and build their own trucks, so alot more of the "comfort" items were there.

Edit: FWIW, Karl Razeys 98 was an oddball.. Dumbo mirrors, Agate interior. His is the only local 98 that I know of that was optioned differently. There are a few spread out that are "oddballs" in the 98 theme. Ricks Pre Production truck has a console IIRC. I believe that Alans 98 is optioned the same as mine are. This is all off of my fuzzy memory of course
    Last edited by Danno; 01-22-2013 at 04:15 PM.

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

2003 - shipped with a soft tonneau cover
    2003 - did not have door decals - only the tailgate
    2003 - did not ship with ashtrays unless smokers package was added
    2003 - front brake rotors are larger than previous years

98-Early 00 R/T's had gauge clusters with 6000rpm tachs
    01-03 R/T's had a different gauge cluster design (3d wraparound) with 7000rpm tachs
    Some late 2000 R/T's had the 'old style' cluster but with 7000rpm tachs

Somewhere around late 2000 R/T's stopped shipping with the under-hood insulating pad and light

Late 00 models didn't just change radiator covers, entire radiator changed. cap moved from top of radiator to middle of upper hose, radiator shifted forward underneath the crossbar and trans cooler added to bottom opening (adding engine accessory access, but irritating everyone trying to install SS grilles).
    SinCity R/T
    01 SV CC R/T * 03 BK CC R/T * 03 BW RC R/T * 98 BK RC R/T * 99 DA CC R/T * 03 BW CC R/T

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

you forgot 4 wheel disc and 2 piston front calipers for '03
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

13 Second Club

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SinCity R/T View Post
    2003 - did not ship with ashtrays unless smokers package was added
    My 2002 doesn't have the ash tray either... So it might have started in 2002
    2002 Dakota R/T CC
    13.75@99.42MPH
    1.7 RR, 160° T-Stat, 4.56 Gears, 52mm TB, Caltracs, Hotchkis TVS, K&N FIPK, M&H Drag Radial, M1 Intake, QA1's Shocks, SCT Tuner, Spintech Mid-Lenght Headers, Spintech True Dual Exhaust, Street Edge Converter, TransGo Shift Kit

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

I think it was 2001 when the front bumper changed. The new style bumper has a large rectangular hole beneath the fog light and is also placed a little close to the center than the fog light. The attachment for a fog light is completely different than the older ones. I believe the older ones were metal on the top while the new ones are plastic. I don't know about the old bumper, but the new one can't be given fog lights by cutting out the hole. Unless you want to add them you must get a new bumper or do some modifications.

Also, a solid gray newer-style bumper is incredibly rare but only in junk yards. They are a dime a dozen everywhere else. I know this because I have been looking for one for a few years now and live in a development where there are two just sitting there in the entryway.

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabluert98 View Post
    Are all 98 interiors mutts? I have light grey door panels and dark grey dash and tan sunvisor clips.
    Never heard of that. Did you buy it new?
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

---Under Construction---

Status

If you guys notice any misinformation let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

00 was the first year of the O shit handle IIRC.
    Was this only for 00' or did it continue

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Steve '02CC View Post
    I think it was 2001 when the front bumper changed. The new style bumper has a large rectangular hole beneath the fog light and is also placed a little close to the center than the fog light. The attachment for a fog light is completely different than the older ones. I believe the older ones were metal on the top while the new ones are plastic. I don't know about the old bumper, but the new one can't be given fog lights by cutting out the hole. Unless you want to add them you must get a new bumper or do some modifications.

Also, a solid gray newer-style bumper is incredibly rare but only in junk yards. They are a dime a dozen everywhere else. I know this because I have been looking for one for a few years now and live in a development where there are two just sitting there in the entryway.
    Just as an addition to this...

The 01+ bumpers take different outer mounting brackets than the 98-00 trucks as well. The center brackets are the same, but the outers are way different, and to be honest, I prefer the 01+ style bracketry, as it solves the "bumper droop" syndrome that the 98-00 trucks have.
    Also, the 98-00 bumpers are two piece, either painted ( RT/Sport) or chrome ( SLT etc ) top piece, with the lower being either body color, or a textured grey with either fog openings or just the indent for the fogs. The 01+ bumpers were slightly different, with a full cover over a hidden metal beam. The 01 setup is supposedly lighter overall. I think I remember Alan switching to this style at one point.

Danno

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kingst3r View Post
    If you guys notice any misinformation let me know.

Was this only for 00' or did it continue
    Uhh... not sure. I think it continued on. I never really soaked up that much info about the interiors on the newer ones.

Change red RT logos to say on black trucks.

Danno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast