+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Autocross 101 for the 2013 nats

Status

Default Autocross 101 for the 2013 nats

I know autox will be a new experience for many of you so here is a little insight that might help.

Tech

We will be checking the front end to make sure that the tires are in good shape. No excessive play in the front suspension and steering, and a brake check. Battery has to be secured, and if rear mounted has to have a cutoff switch that works. No loose items in the cab or bed. Seat belt in working order and you must have a helmet.

The race

Much like drag racing, if you are spinning the tires, you are slow. You will be allowed to walk the course but no practice runs. Passengers are allowed but must also wear a helmet. Watch some of our autox members run, vid's can be found in this section. You will see that smooth is the key. You will be assessed a 2 second penalty for every cone you hit. That's about it. Watch some of the vids, you will learn a lot!! Have fun see ya at the nat's!

Race tires

Tires with a tread wear rating of 200 or less actual racing slicks designed for turning corners nascar take off's, Hoosier racing tires, ect.. I have been asked about drag radials, I don't know if they will do you any good when you get them aired up to corner turning psi's around 50 psi or so. If you want to try them be my guest. I won't count them as a racing tire.
    Last edited by White Turbo; 01-18-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Trueblue R/T Drtc#204
    Lowest CC Houston
    2nd lowest Topeka
    slow but who cares

www.dakotart.com

Status

Thanks for the info Barry!

How bout some explanation of "race tires".... You mentioned that race tires on all 4 corners bumps you up 2 classes?

And I assume that "race tires" on just 2 corners doesn't bump you up... Correct?

Ed Morris
    11.17 @ 120.91 mph
    Best 60': 1.54

DRTC # 578

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

How well do drag radials corner, if for instance I ran them just on the back with a set of 17" street tires on the front?

My truck won't get out of it's own way on street tires. I would simply be trying to drift the course and making a big smoke show.

I'm fairly certain that the cone-killing penalties would pretty much equal simply idling around the course like a sane person instead. But what fun would THAT be?
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Any other specifics? Mandatory open ended lug nuts...?
    Colby
    DRTC#1159
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve '02CC View Post
    Was this an autocorrect error or are you referring to plugging $1 bills up their colon so that they can't poop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    Who R/T'd in your Wheaties?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezie View Post
    Any other specifics? Mandatory open ended lug nuts...?
    open ended are not a necessity for this meet.

Trueblue R/T Drtc#204
    Lowest CC Houston
    2nd lowest Topeka
    slow but who cares

Status

edited first post to better address race tires

Trueblue R/T Drtc#204
    Lowest CC Houston
    2nd lowest Topeka
    slow but who cares

Blown and Squirted

Status

I've autocrossed with DRs on the back aired up. First run of the set, boiled them off the starting line and they kept some heat in them for the other four runs (racing with a small group) I definitely had more traction exiting corners, and with the little weight on the back they didnt roll over. A few weekends of this with the KB wore out my LSD, lol. It's not nearly the advantage that having a real R compound on the front would give.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Chicago"Blacksheep" 2001-

Status

FYI- scca uses under 200 treadwear for race tire or prepared classes, 200 and up for street touring and stock classes. Hence why there are so many tires right at 200 treadwear like the Nitto NT05s I run.

if you use 60 as your treadwear designation for race tires people could sneak in with R compounds that are rated at 100 treadwear like Nitto NT01's, ect....
    Last edited by Jontoad; 01-17-2013 at 11:55 PM.

2006 Black Charger SRT8- Cam'ed and tons of suspenson/drivetrain mods for Autocross/Road racing
    2008 Caliber SRT4- Daily Driver
    2000 Black CC Dakota R/T & 1999 Black RC Dakota R/T- sold!
    autoX vids
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGBII3NIFc / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcDLPdlsxPg / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKoTy-VEw2k

Status
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jontoad View Post
    FYI- scca uses under 200 treadwear for race tire or prepared classes, 200 and up for street touring and stock classes. Hence why there are so many tires right at 200 treadwear like the Nitto NT05s I run.
    Soooooooo are you going to suit up the dakota and show us how it's done?

00 FR RC Dakota R/T Turbo 11.56@118

99 Amethyst RC Dakota R/T 1-170 13.84@98

P.I.E. tuned cause Flynn is for the Birds if you wanna Run Fast have some PIE !

Just call me George W

CDXX

Status
    Blog Entries
    Pro Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by RTchas View Post
    Soooooooo are you going to suit up the dakota and show us how it's done?
    Yeah no shit. It would be nice to have someone come out and blow everyone away that actually does this shit. I see myself just trying not to hit as many cones.

I think we need a trophy or something for most cones hit king.

Someone suggested this idea in the chat.

DRTC #1064

Status

if you use 60 as your treadwear designation for race tires people could sneak in with R compounds that are rated at 100 treadwear like Nitto NT01's, ect....
    Yea I know I run a Kumho that is rated at 100 on the street.Figured I would give folks a break since this will be most first ever autox and the ones that know how already will be going for FTD and points toward king of the tracks award.

Trueblue R/T Drtc#204
    Lowest CC Houston
    2nd lowest Topeka
    slow but who cares

Status

Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    Yeah no shit. It would be nice to have someone come out and blow everyone away that actually does this shit. I see myself just trying not to hit as many cones.

you guys worry to much. lol. just go out and have fun. you make one lap and you will be fine.

my truck is not in shape to autox that far from home. i can't afford to travel two weekends in a row also and I'll be at monster mopar weekend in Indiana to autox the week after the nats.

2006 Black Charger SRT8- Cam'ed and tons of suspenson/drivetrain mods for Autocross/Road racing
    autoX vids
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGBII3NIFc / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcDLPdlsxPg / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKoTy-VEw2k

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue R/T View Post
    Yea I know I run a Kumho that is rated at 100 on the street.Figured I would give folks a break since this will be most first ever autox and the ones that know how already will be going for FTD and points toward king of the tracks award.
    well... the only problem is that actually does the opposite. people with prepared trucks will be killing beginners that are on street tires since they can sneak into that street tire class. raising the treadwear limit would actually be for the beginners advantage.
    Last edited by Jontoad; 01-18-2013 at 12:30 AM.

autoX vids

Status
    Blog Entries

No One can beat Wayne Laconis' all out smoke show donut fest in Cecil when he hit a few cones and said F-it and just blasted thru the coarse full throttle in his MP 380hp crate motor truck! The Scca Guy kicked him off the track and had a Baby right there on the coarse It was too Funny!
    Cheater!:nono:

you guys worry to much. lol. just go out and have fun. you make one lap and you will be fine.

my truck is not in shape to autox that far from home. i can't afford to travel two weekends in a row also and I'll be at monster mopar weekend in Indiana to autox the week after the nats.
    That's a weak excuse did you read all the gimme's we have not to mention all the other freebies we will giveaway that didnt get on the list yet! bet that other event isn't as Cool

Just call me George W

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

I'm sure not buying tires for the autocross event. If anything I'll just be on my nice and tall, extra sidewall to roll over onto, 255/60/17 Kumhos. It's 1 lap in a parking lot for crying out loud.
    Duner

Status

I'm sure not buying tires for the autocross event. If anything I'll just be on my nice and tall, extra sidewall to roll over onto, 255/60/17 Kumhos. It's 1 lap in a parking lot for crying out loud.
    that one lap might convince you to give up racing in a straight line. haha.

autoX vids

Status
    Blog Entries

I'm sure not buying slicks for the drag race event. If anything I'll just be on my nice and tall, extra sidewall to roll over onto, 255/60/17 Kumhos. It's 1 pass in a few second's for crying out loud.
    Fixed

Just call me George W

Status

well... the only problem is that actually does the opposite. people with prepared trucks will be killing beginners that are on street tires since they can sneak into that street tire class. raising the treadwear limit would actually be for the beginners advantage.
    well any since I don't know of any R/T autoxer's who knows. A lot of the guys have hotchkiss but they seldom if ever autox so I am only counting on one maybe two trucks in our promod autox class I would not want to bump people like me into a pro class just because of my tire selection.change my mind I am always open to things that will make our national meet better.here is how we currently have out autox classed broke down

AutoX Classes -
    Stock - exactly what it says

heavy mod - modded 360, modded suspension, any street tires

outlaw - modded 360 with power-adder, 408's, suspension mods

pro mod - any motor, any suspension, any tire [ race tires]

NOTE- race tires on all 4 corners bump you 2 classes
    Last edited by Trueblue R/T; 01-18-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Trueblue R/T Drtc#204
    Lowest CC Houston
    2nd lowest Topeka
    slow but who cares

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

that one lap might convince you to give up racing in a straight line. haha.
    I've never auto crossed.... But for years and years I tormented the Corvette club on open track days with my DD Camaros. I generally posted lap times better than 3/4 of the "race-prepped" class of 'Vettes on my normal street tires. They hated me. So, yeah, I am capable of hustling stuff around a track. Of course, if the track is very tight and technical - I'm certainly going to be out of my element.

And about that racing in a straight line... I sure have to keep my elbows up a whole bunch on a pass. I'm not sure it qualifies as "straight".
    Duner

Status
    Blog Entries

well any since I don't know of any R/T autoxer's who knows. A lot of the guys have hotchkiss but they seldom if ever autox so I am only counting on one maybe two trucks in our promod autox class I would not want to bump people like me into a pro class just because of my tire selection.change my mind I am always open to things that will make our national meet better.here is how we currently have out autox classed broke down

AutoX Classes -
    Stock - exactly what it says

heavy mod - modded 360, modded suspension, any street tires

outlaw - modded 360 with power-adder, 408's, suspension mods

pro mod - any motor, any suspension, any tire [ race tires]

NOTE- race tires on all 4 corners bump you 2 classes
    Barry to make it fair for most guys running a street tire shouldn't we do SCCA tread wear #s That makes it clear as to what a "race tire" is?

In the 2 Nat's with autox Ive attended only Mike Thomas had 4 race tires swapped for autox

Just call me George W

Status

YEA we will have a conehead hat that they can wear all during the banquet.
    Last edited by Trueblue R/T; 01-18-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Trueblue R/T Drtc#204
    Lowest CC Houston
    2nd lowest Topeka
    slow but who cares

SpoR/T driver

Status

I still have no idea what class I'd be in for autocross. Rocking some good old fashioned 255/60/17 Goodyears right now...not sure what I'll be on by then. Stock suspension.

'98 RC/SB - Hellcat/6 Speed Swapped
    10.18@139.8mph
    '00 AF RC R/T Under Construction!
    '01 IB RC R/T Under Construction!
    '99 SY CC R/T Sold
    '00 AF RC R/T Sold
    DRTC Member #1181

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BlakDak71 View Post
    I still have no idea what class I'd be in for autocross. Rocking some good old fashioned 255/60/17 Goodyears right now...not sure what I'll be on by then. Stock suspension.
    I'd say Outlaw based on your sig
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

SpoR/T driver

Status

If that's the case then I'm buying stickies lol

'98 RC/SB - Hellcat/6 Speed Swapped
    10.18@139.8mph
    '00 AF RC R/T Under Construction!
    '01 IB RC R/T Under Construction!
    '99 SY CC R/T Sold